1.    #1  
    I am currently using a Hero. I love the Palm Pre, but the App Market is what pushed me over towards the Hero. That and way better battery life (especially when using Push Gmail). However, I am hoping apps like Shazam and Barcode Scanner will come to the Pre within the next couple of months.

However, seeing the Pre with the 1GHZ overclock has made me want to pull it back out (the Pre's GPU is one thing that makes me want to stick with it instead of the Hero). My questions is can you overclock your Pre and use without having to activate it? I can still use my Pre and play games, but I want to overclock it to 1GHZ to play games smoother (especially online games).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I am currently using a Hero. I love the Palm Pre, but the App Market is what pushed me over towards the Hero. That and way better battery life (especially when using Push Gmail). However, I am hoping apps like Shazam and Barcode Scanner will come to the Pre within the next couple of months.

However, seeing the Pre with the 1GHZ overclock has made me want to pull it back out (the Pre's GPU is one thing that makes me want to stick with it instead of the Hero). My questions is can you overclock your Pre and use without having to activate it? I can still use my Pre and play games, but I want to overclock it to 1GHZ to play games smoother (especially online games).
    I think you would have to use the meta doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I think you would have to use the meta doctor.
    Better take a look here, the "official" palm method

Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

The "problem" is that you won't be able to download app catalog applications. Preware works tho
    The short answer is yes. You can overclock. Surely you can still connect with Wifi right?

If so, everything you need is in Preware. No problem at all.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I can connect to WIFI and use my phone. I guess I will get started then. If the phone is fast enough, I may switch back to the Pre for a while. The Pre has everything these other phones are boasting (minus the front-facing camera and big screen) and MORE actually. I just don't see how it's THIS far behind.

Also, are the cheap 1500 and 2000 maH batteries on eBay legit for the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Better take a look here, the "official" palm method

Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

The "problem" is that you won't be able to download app catalog applications. Preware works tho
    If the phone has been activated on a cellular plan in the past, and was first activated in a supported paid app catalog country, then you will be able to use the Meta-Doctor to bypass activation and then download app catalog applications over wifi, even if it is not currently activated on a cellular plan.

This is the advantage of Meta-Doctor over the Palm method for someone who has a device that was first activated on a cellular plan in a supported country. It sounds like the OP is in this group.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If the phone has been activated on a cellular plan in the past, and was first activated in a supported paid app catalog country, then you will be able to use the Meta-Doctor to bypass activation and then download app catalog applications over wifi, even if it is not currently activated on a cellular plan.
    Didn't knew that, did your Pixi work this way?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

This is the advantage of Meta-Doctor over the Palm method for someone who has a device that was first activated on a cellular plan in a supported country. It sounds like the OP is in this group.

-- Rod
    Thanks. I managed to get UberKernel and Govnah on there but I can't find the 1ghz overclock. Where is it in Govnah?
    Those kernels are in the Alpha stages which means you need to add the alpha testing feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Didn't knew that, did your Pixi work this way?
    My Pixi Plus was GSM (from Germany), so I was able to activate it first in the US, and then in Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Thanks. I managed to get UberKernel and Govnah on there but I can't find the 1ghz overclock. Where is it in Govnah?
    Make sure and utilize the Thanks button to the right for those who have provided you assistance or information that was helpful.