Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Edit: Never mind....the part of the case that keeps the usb door attached is cracked off.
    Last edited by Trekker; 07/31/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Here is a link to Ebay, you might be able to find something there. You might have luck removing from another phone plus other parts.

Palm Pre Parts items - Get great deals on Cell Phones PDAs, palm pre items on eBay.com!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think I have one I pulled from a previous unit. I don't think the little tether part will stay in, though.
    Yeah, that's the same problem with mine. I may try melting the tip of it and form it into a little ball to see if that may hold it in.

I guess I could always make a new customer cover out of electrical tape.
    I still have a phone for sale. It may be better for parts than it is as a whole.
    Prē
  5.    #5  
    somewhere around here I saw that someone glued on their door afyer using a dremmel tool to create a permanent hole that fit the cable perfectly. Kinda liked it. Looked like a tiny slot loading optical drive...
    Yeah, I remembered seeing that post, that could be an option also. I just used some brush on superglue to cover the crack, not sure if it will do any good or not. I'm just hoping this Pre will hold up until the next webOS phone is released.
    I think the door would be part of the front housing, which it sounds like you need to replace anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I think the door would be part of the front housing, which it sounds like you need to replace anyway.
    That can be labor intensive... but a lot of fun if you are they type of person who likes to dig right into the hardware like that.

I currently have a broken sprint pre and a brand new pre plus sitting on my workbench at home... ive been travelling all this month... but I fully intend to switch out the com boards and get that extra ram and extra space cookin for me. Cant wait... to dig into that sprint pre and start taking it apart.
  8.    #8  
    you should get a zagg to cover the crack. Extra strong.
    I think that I actually have a zagg skin that I bought but never used. Maybe I can cut a piece of it to place over the crack.
  9.    #9  
    Never mind, I found the problem, the corner of the front case that actually has the hole for the usb door tether is broken off and still attached to the tether.

I doubt glue is going to hold it, so I'll just have to live with it, get a refurb or wait until the next webOS phone comes out.
    There was someone who modded his after the usb door fell off... glued the door back in then used a dremel to cut away just enough to plug into the microusb slot... maintained the streamlined look of the phone itself... and still allowed usb access...

you should try searching for it... at the moment I dont remember what the thread was named.. but he posted pics and whatnot.
    echo echo echo

That's actually a pretty nice mod if you plan to use USB a lot. With Touchstones plus the ability to do pretty much everything via Wi-Fi I find I almost never use USB any more.

Here's the original post.

USB doors can be ordered directly from Palm. They will also mail you one for free if your Pre is under warranty. I have one from Palm and never opened the package because i had to have my Pre replaced.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    USB doors can be ordered directly from Palm. They will also mail you one for free if your Pre is under warranty. I have one from Palm and never opened the package because i had to have my Pre replaced.
    Thanks....I deleted my first post...I had tried getting one from Palm but since phone was out of warranty, they said no. I offered to pay and they still refused.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Asurion. I have a replacement coming. I don't think the crack in the side leading up to the screen is going to hold up so I'll pay the $100 and hope I get a decent refurb. Kind of hate to see my launch day Pre go, it's been great!
    is there an echo in here?
    oops... well I guess that just shows us how much I pay attention huh?
    I lost mine in my car and I still can't find it. I went to the Sprint store and the guy just gave me one from a broken Pre.

The best thing to do when going into a store, is just say the USB fell off and if they could just see if they have any DOA Pre's that they could take the USB door off for you. If the person is in the mood to be a good guy (or gal) they will just give it to you, like they did to me.

But in my case, I discovered that the door he gave me was bad in the first place, so it just keeps falling off.

I want to try and get a new one from Palm themselves, they must have plenty of door from all the original Pre's that were returned.

So anyone know of way to get these usb doors replace please let those of us that want them know how to accomplish it.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    How, what phone number to call?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

just open a chat session on the palm support site...
    Thanks, never thought of just trying that.

See I learning things here!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Did a chat session yesterday and Palm is sending a door to me free of charge (still under warranty).
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Did a chat session yesterday and Palm is sending a door to me free of charge (still under warranty).
    That's cool, I'm still a little stumped why they absolutely refused to send me one, even after I offered to pay for it. What do one of these things cost...10 cents? 50 cents? 2 dollars?

Oh this is good.....I just got a "Palm Satisfaction Survey for support contact" in my email. I won't rip them too bad but I will be honest. I didn't expect anything for free but for them to refuse to sell me a small piece of plastic sure doesn't earn them any points for going above and beyond.
    I mentioned it above, but I think you can still buy this part if you really want to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast