1.    #1  
    I have a problem that just started like 2 weeks ago or 3. What happens is 95% of the time when I place a call or answer a call the screen goes black immediately, before I take the phone to my ear and tilt it up(when it is supposed to go black). After the phone call is over I can not hang up because the screen is black. I have to reboot the phone with Orange+Sym+R in order to get my screen back.
    The phone works fine at all other times just not when answering or placing calls. When I make a call the screen goes black immediately just like when answering a call.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to resolve this?
  2.    #2  
    Oh I forgot about one thing, if I put the phone on the touchstone it will bring the screen back and I can function normally.
    have you recently got a new case for it? There is a sensor on the ront of it.. I'm not sure why, but when I switched cases, the new one I have, blocks the sensor on the top right hand corner.. Mine did the exact same thing. I just pop off the front face plate when I make a call & it works fine. Hope that helps!
    The problem could also be caused by a screen protector or a skin. The proximity sensor to the right of the earpiece needs to remain uncovered.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you both very much that makes perfect sense ..... I just got a mirror screen protector but is the right as you look at the screen or with screen facing away from you?
    I found this old post that has a photo of the approximate sensor location:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2027394
  7.    #7  
    Thank you both very much .... this solved the problem. One thing to note in the linked post someone mentioned to just push the power button and the screen will come on, well in my case and I am guessing in most other cases, pushing the power button does not make the screen come on or else I would still be able to end calls etc.
    When the screen was black I'd have to do a hard reset to get the screen back or put on the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    My phone has recently started doing this as well. I don't use any screen protectors and it happens if I slide-to-answer or have it open and hit the green button.

worse, I can hear the person on the other line, but they're /very/ very quiet -- like the volume is turned down, but nothing happens when I hit the volume buttons.

Very frustrating... Not sure where to go. Thinking about uninstalling all patches & whatnot... I really hope I don't have to swap out the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive05 View Post
    I have a problem that just started like 2 weeks ago or 3. What happens is 95% of the time when I place a call or answer a call the screen goes black immediately, before I take the phone to my ear and tilt it up(when it is supposed to go black).
    My phone has never cared about the orientation of the phone (doesn't need to be tilted up to turn off the screen).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    My phone has recently started doing this as well. I don't use any screen protectors and it happens if I slide-to-answer or have it open and hit the green button.

worse, I can hear the person on the other line, but they're /very/ very quiet -- like the volume is turned down, but nothing happens when I hit the volume buttons.
    I have been having the same problems for the last several days. If somebody finds an answer to this I hope they post it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Let's try to find some common installs that might lead to this.

I assume we are all using PreWare. Note if you are not.
    I'm currently on 1.4.1.1
    I HAVE installed UberKernel
    I HAVE installed Govnah (I usually use Screenstate 500/800)
    I HAVE installed GPS Fix
    I HAVE installed Mode Switcher
    I HAVE used Save/Restore, but not restored yet.

It happens both on and off WiFi

Maybe we can find a common thread, here.
    jrr, thinking your volume issue could be related to the headset jack issue, just a thought.

Other thought on volume double check your default and any mode switcher settings...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    jrr, thinking your volume issue could be related to the headset jack issue, just a thought.

Other thought on volume double check your default and any mode switcher settings...
    Good point. I'll check it out.

It still won't help with the screen going black every time I get a phone call. Having to pull the battery on a Pre is especially painful with it's glacial boot time.

Edit:// Definitely not my Mode Switcher settings. Probably the headset jack bug... but I'll play with it some more to see.
    Last edited by jrronimo; 09/13/2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Also if there is a proximity sensor issue, IIRC there is a test in device info that you can run to test that (this may also be covered in the thread links above now that I think about it)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    I'm currently on 1.4.1.1
    I HAVE installed UberKernel
    I HAVE installed Govnah (I usually use Screenstate 500/800)
    I HAVE installed GPS Fix
    I HAVE installed Mode Switcher
    I HAVE used Save/Restore, but not restored yet.
    The only ones jjronimo and I have in common are Uberkernal and Govnah. I was using 500/1000 but have dropped to 500/800 just in case its an overclocking problem; I was on 1.4.1.1 until this morning, now 1.4.5; don't know yet if either has made any difference.

My proximity sensor tests okay and I have never used the headphone jack.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    My problem has changed a little bit since 1.4.5.

I've uninstalled Uberkernel and Govnah as well as most patches that I can think might have anything to do with this. I forgot to test before reloading preware's apps after 1.4.5 downloaded, though -- I was too excited.

Anyway, calls are still quiet. If I call an automated line (like my bank), I can hear the other line talking. If I adjust the volume with the volume buttons, I can hear the volume getting louder and softer, but never loud enough (at max volume) to be considered "normal".

As soon as I hit a number to dial it is when my screen blanks. I am unable to hang up.

When I tested the proximity sensor the first time yesterday, the test made it vibrate instantly. However, on subsequent tests, it acted normally.

If someone calls me, and /they/ hang up, when I close my phone the screen comes back.

Is there a test program out there that can relate the status of the proximity sensor? Or does anyone know if access to the sensor's status is exposed through an API? It'd be at least good to know what the /phone/ thinks it's doing.

Still doesn't explain the quiet calls through the earpiece. Sigh...

VZW probably won't want to replace my phone if they see Preware on it.
    I'm thinking you may have a hardware failure/fault.... just my final idea...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    It is starting to seem that way... Bleargh. :/
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I doctor'd my phone following the excellent instructions Precentral provides here and had the same problems, so I took the phone to Verizon yesterday.

After verifying my problems, the girl said that she'd have a replacement phone at my house on Friday. Here's hoping that I don't run into this unfortunate problem again...
    Good luck with the replacement!