1.    #1  
    I read a lot here but barely ever post but I finally have something worth asking

I know about the problem with the Pre where if you use the audio jack to play music in your car or something it occasionally doesn't notice when you unplug it so your phone doesn't ring or play sounds through the back speaker. To fix the error you have to keep plugging in and unplugging the jack rapidly while simultaneously playing music and waiting til you hear it come out of the external speaker. Annoying but it works.

About a month ago the jack must have worn out or something because no matter how many times I tried the fix I was unable to talk on the phone without it being on speakerphone. I went into the Sprint store and said "my Pre is broken" and he laughed and said "surprise, surprise." I thought that was funny.

Anyway they gave me a brand new phone for free and I'm just wondering if this is a common thing that happens. Should I just never use my pre as an MP3 player to be safe? That would suck as it is half the reason I got a pre rather than a cheaper phone and an iPod (I just bought an iPod anyway to be safe). Also the guys at the Sprint store said that the Pre is basically a piece of expensive junk and I should ditch it for an Evo. Is that a fair opinion?
    The only "hardware" issues I have with my phone are reception issues because the Pre is too damned stupid to figure out how to work in an area with multiple towers.

I use it as a mp3 player all the time, with bluetooth and with the headphones that come with the Pre on three different Pre's and haven't had any of the headphone jack issues that people here have.

Does that mean I think they don't exist? No, they do, just like the Pre's pathetic reception issues exist. But I wouldn't call it junk because I've never had any of the physical hardware issues.

But if you're at the end of your contract, I would upgrade to the Evo or the Epic and consider Palm again when they release new hardware simply because of the superior hardware and apps the phone's sport, but I'd try Android for a while before committing. You get 30 days.
    I'm just new to the Pre world but I was thinking this morning about hooking my pre to the stereo system in my car via the jack and auxilary jack in the car. I went shopping today for a bluetooth headset that could stream music. I went in to buy the Motoroker s9hd (which I did) but I also picked up a Samsung Modus 3500, its like your regular one ear bluetooths but will also stream music which is perfect for me at work. It has an adapter you can hook your own headphones to if you want stereo sound quality and the big thing I love there is an in line adapter you can get to plug into the bluetooth headpiece then into the jack in your car which you can then play your music through your car stereo without hooking your phone directly into it! The adapter didn't come with it, I'm returning the Motoroker's tomorrow and checking to see if they carry the adapter, if not they are $3.99 on line. That means I can listen to Pandora through my radio! And leave the phone unhooked to the car stereo via cord.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The only "hardware" issues I have with my phone are reception issues because the Pre is too damned stupid to figure out how to work in an area with multiple towers.
    Actually if you are on a CDMA network... its a fairly common CDMA problem... it might just be exaggerated some with the front face they slapped on the pre...
    All I know is my friend has StraightTalk and she never misses a call at my house. I can't even get service at my house. The Pre struggles to get a roaming signal. I'm in PA right now pill-popping my way through a family reunion and the Pre's signal is so erratic. From 5 bars to 1 bar roaming just driving down the street. And forget walking into a building. From 5 bars to 0 almost instantly. This phone has even popped No Service. NO SERVICE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Please, like there isn't a Verizon tower anywhere in the vicinity. Madness. I've already made up my mind to go to the repair store next week and plead my case. I'm even willing to try a pixi and see if it's better, I just can't take this phone's flaky signal anymore. If the Pixi isn't any better, then I'm really going to have to jump from webos when my upgrade is available and I hate it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    I'm just new to the Pre world but I was thinking this morning about hooking my pre to the stereo system in my car via the jack and auxilary jack in the car. I went shopping today for a bluetooth headset that could stream music. I went in to buy the Motoroker s9hd (which I did) but I also picked up a Samsung Modus 3500, its like your regular one ear bluetooths but will also stream music which is perfect for me at work. It has an adapter you can hook your own headphones to if you want stereo sound quality and the big thing I love there is an in line adapter you can get to plug into the bluetooth headpiece then into the jack in your car which you can then play your music through your car stereo without hooking your phone directly into it! The adapter didn't come with it, I'm returning the Motoroker's tomorrow and checking to see if they carry the adapter, if not they are $3.99 on line. That means I can listen to Pandora through my radio! And leave the phone unhooked to the car stereo via cord.
    I read a bunch of reviews on the Modus 3500... and actually got to try it out myself when one of my field service buddies picked one up... I have to say... this review said it well:

Samsung Modus 3500 Review

It was uncomfortable... and the sound on the headset itself did indeed "Sound like someone was hiding in a potato sack with a mouth full of marshmallows." Its a nice concept... but they could have done a lot better with it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    there is an in line adapter you can get to plug into the bluetooth headpiece then into the jack in your car which you can then play your music through your car stereo without hooking your phone directly into it!
    That sounds like a solution to my problem since you don't have to plug anything into your phone's audio jack. I just noticed this morning that the plug on the headphones that came with the pre is much thinner and shorter than the plug on the audio cable I bought for my car. This may be the problem... it could be that the larger plug is somehow corroding the contacts inside the phone. I'm going to buy a smaller one so I don't destroy my new iPod too.