Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum, so I hope you'll cut me some slack if this has been answered before, because I couldn't find it.

I'm buying a UK o2 Palm Pre off of eBay, is it a GSM pre or ?

Also what would be the best way to unlock it, and the best SIM to use, which works with Voice, Data, and all the rest?

Thanks a lot guys, and I can't wait to start Homebrewing w/ the Pre
    Where are you?
    If your buying a O2 UK Pre it will be locked to O2 UK and it will be a GSM phone. If you want to use it in the UK your options are either to get a unlimited data contract with O2 or unlock the phone with unlocking software so that you can use it with another carrier. If you are outside the UK you'll have to unlock the pre to use it with a carrier in your own country.
    Whichever carrier you use I'd recommend getting a contact with unlimited data use as otherwise a PAYG SIM card can get expensive - particularly if you want to use homebrew and download and use lots of apps.
    The best way to unlock your phone is with Nextgen (link here). It costs 25/30/$40 and once you pre is unlocked you can use it with any carrier. An alternative is to use a Rebel SimCard (which you can order here) but this only allows you to use 3G connections with older versions of WebOS so I wouldn't recommend it until they come up with a fix for that problem.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    If your buying a O2 UK Pre it will be locked to O2 UK and it will be a GSM phone. If you want to use it in the UK your options are either to get a unlimited data contract with O2 or unlock the phone with unlocking software so that you can use it with another carrier. If you are outside the UK you'll have to unlock the pre to use it with a carrier in your own country.
    Whichever carrier you use I'd recommend getting a contact with unlimited data use as otherwise a PAYG SIM card can get expensive - particularly if you want to use homebrew and download and use lots of apps.
    The best way to unlock your phone is with Nextgen (link here). It costs 25/30/$40 and once you pre is unlocked you can use it with any carrier. An alternative is to use a Rebel SimCard (which you can order here) but this only allows you to use 3G connections with older versions of WebOS so I wouldn't recommend it until they come up with a fix for that problem.
    Thanks so much, you've been a great help I'm in the UK and I'll unlock it with the 25 code thing I think. But if I get PAYG o2 SIM, if I top up 10 a month I get 500mb data and unlimited texts, so I think that'll do. I don't have to use the 500mb data when I'm using Wifi though right?

Thanks
    -Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
    I don't have to use the 500mb data when I'm using Wifi though right?

Thanks
    -Sam
    That's correct.
    Sammo,

Watch out for o2 PAYG SIMs, they require different connection settings, and in my experience it is problemmattic to carry out the initial phone setup (referred to as registration) with a PAYG SIM. I had to borrow a friend's contract SIM to register the phone, as a PAYG one would not work. It is possible to chnage the settings so the PAYG SIM will work properly afterwards, I think, but not for the initial registration.

I also would point out that it is possible to use RebelSIM with newer version of WebOS, but it does involve some mild hacking and command line work, and if you ever need to wipe the device, you will have to revert to an earlier version to get through the registration process with a RebelSIM. I am using WebOS 1.4.5 and a RebelSIM just fine, and I've had no difficulties. The instructions for the hack are easily findable on this forum.

If youv'e got your choice of SIMs though, go and buy a 30-day contract with data from o2, then none of the above will be a problem...