Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All - I see threads come up repeatedly about tethering. That is very understandable to new users of the pre as it is a feature on basically every smart phone out there. Verizon allows it, but nobody else makes it easy, so it is a frustration to new users. I would love to see a sticky about it that would have step by step instructions for the different types of tethering. This would stop the semi constant requests about tethering.

USB tethering -

Special thanks to edbbates11 for the windows config.
    1. Install Preware
    2. install freetether from preware
    3. tether via wifi or usb (on the pre) and bluetooth if your carrier hasn't killed the PAN bluetooth profile.

For ubuntu natty narhwale - no other configs are needed (usb, wifi works period)
    For Windows 7 - you need to add drivers to the unknown device, use the Microsoft Corportation RNDIS compatible device drivers. (choose the ms corp. entry, not the plane microsoft)
    For windows xp - the drivers are out there... google gumbstick if I remember right. Works like win 7 after that.

Mobile Host spot
    This originally required the use of Freetether and freetetherd. Since this method was reliant on the above method of tethering, I'll just refer to the above. MHS is still supplied on Sprint or Verizon, so just use it if you have a plan that allows for tethering. The above performs NAT so if you don't have a specific tethering plan.... use the directions above.
    Mytether
    1. Purchase mytether
    2. Follow download link
    3. install MT
    4. Open MT
    5. Join wifi network MT created from PC
    6. rock on
    -- have heard this doesn't work for all, I don't use MT and I'm not going to pay money just to test it out when I already have 2 free options to play with --

SEE LINK MALPA POSTED ON PAGE 2 FOR FILES.
    Last edited by scytherfwd; 07/24/2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: EDITED on 7/28/11 to be more precise on the usb tethering, which is what I am focusing on.
    nicely done!
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    nice....
    This is a very nice post... and may help some users out... but installing a tether app never goes that cleanly. I used two of those apps when I was tethering with my Sprint Pre (i dont tether anymore, no need) and neither installation when as cleanly as simply following your step by step here... in reality... it took reading the threads for both of them to find out all the little extra things users had to do to get them working, then adjust my process based on what worked for my phone and what didnt.

A good sticky to post would be one teaching people how to use the Search function... and to have it as a sticky at the top of each and every forum... I think that would be just dandy. I dream of an internet where "LMGTFY" didnt need to exist...
  5.    #5  
    bluewanders -
    My preware went without a hitch. I just had to make sure I had the right files. I followed the instructions on the wiki page. Same with my webos qi. The freetether install was painless, and I used the WebOS QI to do it. I can't find it in preware, but that is probably because I don't have the right thread enabled. Everything else was installed (except for the wifi hotspot, which I used QI again) using preware. The USB method is literally all of the steps I took. There are some implied tasks, like downloading the preware installer (either the webos qi one or the standalone) and following the directions to do it. The wiki page is excellent for that. It was a pre-requisite for tethering but I added it because you need it done to complete the other tasks.

We could also just sticky a thread with links to the correct threads on each type of tethering. I'm working on wifi tethering without mobile hotspot or mytether, but I haven't had a chance to test it. I also want to get bluetooth tethering working, again without MHS or MT. I suspect I'll have to do a Personal Area Network in windows with the phone and use freetether to do the forwarding / natting.
    Last edited by scytherfwd; 07/31/2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Aye who sent you that file and whatnot....i still can't find the "freetether" where do i go exactly to get it?
    Can you do this on Verizon without adding it to your plan package? If so will it cost?
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  8.    #8  
    sneekzlojik - PM me your email address and I'll fwd the freetether, the mobile hotspot (two versions, neither worked for me but I suspect I have to do 5a-5c above), and the patch to enable ip forwarding automatically.

If anyone has a suggestion for online file storage, I'll post the files up there and then post a link here to them.
    Last edited by scytherfwd; 07/31/2010 at 01:59 AM.
  9.    #9  
    guilty - Your carrier shouldn't know that you are tethering. If you have a data plan, it should work. I can verify on ATT, but not on other plans. If you are using Verizon, I would recommend using the Mobile Hotspot out of the app catalog that they provide.

When you tether without nat, your carrier sees multiple IP addresses requesting data, which means that the data connection is being shared. With Network Address Translation, aka NAT, your IP address is changed to that of the phone when the data request is sent out. When the requested data comes back in to the phone, it is redirected using your IP address. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the gist of it.
    Now I'll just wait for my inbox to say "freetether" and stuffs lol
    I Wrote you about one other problem...my dang usb mode...media mode and charger mode doesn't show anymore..iono why though..sighs
  12.    #12  
    You'll need to install the usb passthrough app from preware. It'll let you put your pre in usbnet. AKA Step 3. If you haven't installed preware yet, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, do this
    Your phone charges when usbnet is enabled. I have found that if I disable usbnet, and reboot the options re-appear. If that doesn't work, there is a usbmode app in preware as well. I'll play with it when I get home near my computer and get back to you.
    Thanks but I just figured that out lol...my ONLY problem now is ...I have to pay my bill!!! I guess without the EVDO..you still can't use the phone as a hotspot right?
  14.    #14  
    sneekzlojik - what did you do to fix the problem? You figuring it out only helps other people if you actually tell people how to fix it
    lol well WHAT I DID WAS SIMPLE....I JUST HAPPEN TO DOWNLOAD ALL THOSE FILES YOU SENT ME..THROUGH MY YAHOO EMAIL..ON MY PHONE....I DID IT ALL OFF MY PHONE...YOU SENT THEM I WENT TO MY YAHOO EMAIL ON MY PRE...AND AS AN ATTACHMENT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM..THEY WILL COME UP IN YOUR "INTERNALZ" AS DOWLOADABLES..SO I WENT ON FROM THERE TO DOWNLOAD THEM FROM THAT....AND THEN I CONFIGURED MY USBNET..HAD THAT SET UP....THEN WENT TO MY FREETETHER..CLICKED THE IP FORWARDING ON..AND THEN WENT TO MY HOTSPOT..BUT THE ONLY THING IS..I DONT THINK I CAN USE IT WITHOUT HAVING AN ACTUAL PLAN..I THINK...AM I RIGHT? BECAUSE MY PHONE IS OFF BUT IT WON'T COME OFF THE "OFF" BUTTON...IN THE HOTSPOT...LIKE I CAN CLICK IT BUT IT WON'T GO TO "ON" LOL BUT I ALSO DON'T HAVE MY PHONE ON..ONCE AGAIN..SO NO "EVDO"
    Couldn't find FreeTether on Preware. can someone tell me how to find it there?
  17.    #17  
    I can send them to you, but I'll need an email address.
    I sent it to you on PM
    For the Mobilehotspot solution:
    The described solution from the op needs the "slightly" patched MHS from the Verizon doctor I made.
    You can find this version here. (Don't be afraid. It's in German but you will find the link)
    Directions here

It might be easier to to use the "prepatched" version from thomascoe described here

EDIT: Some background info and the history here
  20.    #20  
    somline - good info, will post link in original post.

So far, the usb tethering with NAT should allow you to tether without tripping up any alarms by your carrier. The carrier will see it all coming from the phone, not as a forwarded request. You STILL NEED A DATA PLAN to make any use of any of these.

None of these are actually tethering, they are connection sharing, but symantics...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast