Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    title says it all

all of a sudden my pre would just turn the volume off by itself as if someone is constantly pressing the volume button so i cant see my my default apps at the bottom

has this happened to anyone? i need help!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Very strange, it just happened to me. I even restarted the phone and it continued. And just as quick as it started, it stopped. I swiped up and tried stabbing at the notifications until I finally got one to launch. Seemed fine after that. Weird.
    firstly any patches installed? Especially any volume patches?

second, make a backup

third you may need a visit to webOS doctor or to your local repair store, if it's a hardware issue that may be the only hope.

does it happen when you aren't touching the phone?
    I had this same problem... it started happening after I installed the "no notifications during call" patch... what it actually does is turn the volume all the way down during a call, and then back up when the call ends... but for some reason it seemed to also either not turn it back up after a call at times, or be randomly triggered... the problem went away entirely once again after I uninstalled the patch.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I've had this happen on two of my Sprint Pre's.

The volume turning down happened to my first Pre. It is some type of software glitch I believe. I had doctored, uninstalled/reinstalled everything and it continued to happen. It was extremely frustrating. It continued for 4 days, and I finally had it replaced by Sprint.

((EDIT: So what would happen is that my Pre would turn all the way down as if someone was holding down the button. I could sometimes turn it back up to have it immediately turn itself back down. Other times pushing the volume up button didn't even work. If I used the on screen slider, the exact same thing would happen. (It was as if something was constantly holding down the volume down rocker) I did have patches installed at the time that it started, yet even after I uninstalled everything, WebOS Doctored the phone, and preformed countless restarts/hard resets it still had the issue.))

My second Pre suffered from a screen crack.

My current Pre had a similar issue such as where instead of the volume constantly turning down, it would turn all the way up. This happened one night randomly, and I could get it to stop, but then the volume up button would not work. Eventually, just as it had started the volume problem stopped, but strangely enough I still could not use the volume up button.

At that point I thought it was a hardware issue because I could turn it up via the on screen slider, and I could still turn it down from the button.. About a week after the button stopped working, when I was ready to take it in to the store fro yet another exchange, it started working again! Weird as hell.

My suggestion is to try and wait it out. See if it fixes itself even though it's a big annoyance. If it continues beyond your patience then create plentiful backups and have that puppy replaced.

Good luck friend.
    Last edited by iamalive; 07/30/2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: More detailed explanation of my specific problem
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    it happened om my less 3 day old refurb that is running stock. No patches, nada, factory condition, so I can't blame a modification. It is a refurb and my space button doesn't 'click' when pressed, so my first thought was to blame another round of poor refurb hardware. At this point, it remains a mystery.
    I have just started to have the same problem on my Sprint Pre over the last few days. The volume goes all the way down and you can't get it to go back up.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    This happened to my first pre, had to get it replaced. Just to confirm that it is the hardware, run the interactive tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I have just started to have the same problem on my Sprint Pre over the last few days. The volume goes all the way down and you can't get it to go back up.
    Just to update. Removing the button and cleaning it work for me.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I have had my volume go down to nothing a number of times over the last two weeks. I can press the up volume button to make it go up. Don't know why it is doing this. I have a re-furb Sprint Pre and my 1st Sprint Pre did not do this.

I do have a ton of patches installed so maybe one of them is causing it.
    for me it was the 'silence notifications during phone call' patch... That was making my volume go down by itself.

that was a while ago, I'm sure it was fixed. If you have that patch, uninstall it and see if that fixes it.

my very first pre had a vokume button failure where it would act like someone was holding it down. Went to sprint and ordered me a newrenew.. (refurb)
    Same problem. happened after a crazy night and my phone get a little damp. after leaving it to dry it seemed to work fine. it was really annoying though. if it doesnt go away by itself, which it should, take it to sprint. they'll hook you up with a new one at no cost. they're always good with replacements.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I removed the "no alert during calls" patch earlier. So far so good.

So glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
    This problem occurred to me yesterday.. what a pain.. I don't have the no alert during calls patch though.. I'm to see if the alert sounds per contact is causing this.

By plugging in the USB cord it seemed to make it go away too, but you have to keep it plugged in.
    Last edited by bobwonderful; 08/15/2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Mine has been doing this for the last few months too. I have no patches or any mods. It is completely random. SOmetimes I can reverse it by sliding it open and closed several times real fast or pressing the led button several times. Sometimes it fixes itself and sometimes I have to restart it. Really really sick and tired of it!
    Last Feb I had an issue with the "no alerts during calls" patch after the 1.3.5 update turning down the volume and then not turning the volume back up after the call was ended. I removed the patch and I have not had any volume issues after that.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    this happened to me just this week, but in the other direction, my pre was behaving as if the volume up button was being held down at all times.

i was able to fix it by shutting down and removing the battery cover and battery, then carefully cleaning what i could get at of the small metal contacts underneath the volume rocker with an alcohol swab.
    no alert during calls as stated above is the only thing i have seen to cause this. well unless you include grabing / picking up the phone the wrong way lol ltm lol ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadhead View Post
    Mine has been doing this for the last few months too. I have no patches or any mods. It is completely random. SOmetimes I can reverse it by sliding it open and closed several times real fast or pressing the led button several times. Sometimes it fixes itself and sometimes I have to restart it. Really really sick and tired of it!
    get it replaced , it must have some glitch or something
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I still have this issue, must be something to do with the hardware, I will be going to Sprint to get a replacement or ask them when the Palm Pre+ is going to hit or something else.