1.    #1  
    Anybody else ever have this issue and were you able to fix it? I've ran EPR & I'm rather happy with this phone so I would rather not take any chances on a different one. Would it be serviceable by somebody at a Sprint store? It still "clicks" like everything is fine internally. Every so often it will even bring up the onscreen volume control though the volume will not actually decrease.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Just a quick reply to let you know my friend's wife has the same issue with her Pre. I didn't quite follow the part of your post about EPR? Are you thinking that this is maybe a software issue rather than bad hardware? Have you tried WebOS doctor already? Just curious to see if we can solve her problem too.
  3.    #3  
    EPR means Emergency Patch Recovery. Its basically one step before the doctor. It scans all your patches and repairs or removes any anomalies that shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if its software or hardware related. I was hoping it was just some bad coding from a patch but the EPR didn't discover anything. I may take a trip to the doc. I'll keep you updated. I'm glad (I guess) that I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully someone can chime in with a solution for us.

edit: reread my post. What I was saying is that EPR didn't do anything and I'm hoping this isn't hardware related since this phone has been great to me other than this small problem.

A temporary solution is that I have installed a volume control patch to my topbar.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    EPR means Emergency Patch Recovery. Its basically one step before the doctor. It scans all your patches and repairs or removes any anomalies that shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if its software or hardware related. I was hoping it was just some bad coding from a patch but the EPR didn't discover anything. I may take a trip to the doc. I'll keep you updated. I'm glad (I guess) that I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully someone can chime in with a solution for us.

edit: reread my post. What I was saying is that EPR didn't do anything and I'm hoping this isn't hardware related since this phone has been great to me other than this small problem.

A temporary solution is that I have installed a volume control patch to my topbar.
    I have the same patch (the device menu megamix I'm assuming is what you have too). My Volume down works intermittently and has been a problem for me for maybe 6 months now. I brought my phone to a Sprint service center and even though my phone was under warranty at the time, they told me that the tiny little crack/scratch that was at the top left corner of the Pre would be a problem if they sent my phone in for repair. Oh, and I did Doctor my phone, and I still have the same issue with the volume.

No big deal as I actually have grown used to using the patch to turn down my media volume, and the Sounds and Ringtones app to take care of the rest.

I do feel as though this is a software issue because when the volume rocker does want to work, it sometimes will go down two to three notches on the volume display with one press.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I had it happen as well. Search turned up that it could be as simple as replacing the popple under the key, which some Sprint stores will do. I troubleshooted mine and Sprint ended up replacing (with a refurb, but actually one that seems better than the new hardware that had volume button issue).
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    My volume down button also works intermittently. I figured it was a hardware issue and nothing I can do about it. Add this to my growing number of wear and tear after 1 year.

1. both sides of phone have hairline running horizontal to screen
    2. right side crack (near charging port) has moved on to screen
    3. vol down button works intermittently.
    4. Piece of plastic near top of phone has broken off.

Phone still works though and I'm too cheap to take advantage of my yearly upgrade.!
  7.    #7  
    Does anyone have a phone who's volume up button doesn't work but the down button does?
    hi,

I came across this thread, because in my case, the volume up is the hardware button that it isn't work, volume down works perfectly.

Currently I'm doing a webosdoctor back to 1.2 (it is the last one that really wipes everything).

So I hope that this work, if not I think I'll have to get used to using the menu patch to control the volume.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    My volume rocker broke some weeks ago and I now have no popples. I have to use the patch to control media volume. My Sprint store told me that I had to file a claim with Asurion and pay the deductible (phone is still less than a year old). The only real problem is if I get in a situation where the phone won't boot and the Doctor won't work; no volume up trick for me. Unless, that is, I can rig something.
    Wonder if this has happened to any Verizon users. Sounds like a first generation Sprint Pre issue to me, based solely on just how many here have mentioned Sprint.

Any Verizon folks experiencing this?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    The speakerphone app works well also if you don't want to patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    My volume rocker broke some weeks ago and I now have no popples. I have to use the patch to control media volume. My Sprint store told me that I had to file a claim with Asurion and pay the deductible (phone is still less than a year old). The only real problem is if I get in a situation where the phone won't boot and the Doctor won't work; no volume up trick for me. Unless, that is, I can rig something.
    you can use OMAP boot Procedure, described here:Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals its working 100%, I used it few times because my volume buttons are damaged (to be precise, flat cable which connects buttons with Pre's board is damaged)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Wonder if this has happened to any Verizon users. Sounds like a first generation Sprint Pre issue to me, based solely on just how many here have mentioned Sprint.

Any Verizon folks experiencing this?
    I'm a verizon user and its happened to me TWICE! Now I'm going in for another refurb, as I can't seem to figure out how to add the speakerphone app.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I had the issue where the UP would not work, took it into a Sprint repair store and they were able to fix it in a few minutes. It was hardware related and didn't need to get a replacement. Worth the time to have them look at it.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    I had the issue where the UP would not work, took it into a Sprint repair store and they were able to fix it in a few minutes. It was hardware related and didn't need to get a replacement. Worth the time to have them look at it.
    Thanks for the tip, i too have a broken UP hardware issue. I'll stop by and see if they can fix it. They will probably also notice my "crack" which is working its way slowly toward the screen. I have had this pre- since 6/10/09 with no other issues....wondering if a refurb will be as hassel free as this one was
    I had problem with volume up, I pulled off the volume switch and the top popple thingy was completely worn, I accidently pulled the bottom one off as well.
    I control using Media volume control patch.
    Is it not possible to use the "home button" for volume up or down? I mean, the home button is already unnecessary because of the swipe up gesture.