Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hi,
    This upcoming week my family will, along with me, will be going on a two week long vacation to Paris (yum)! I am really excited (not meaning to rub it in your face) but there is one problem...I obviously cant bring my Sprint Pre! So, my question is, what should I do with it while I am gone. Should I leave it on my touchstone? Should I plug it into the wall charger? Should I just leave it off? Something else?
    Thanks!
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Congrats on the big trip - sounds fantastic!

If it were me, I would not leave it on the touchstone because of potential heat issues (they are only designed for short term use)...

Instead, I would leave plugged into the wall via the USB charger. That standard charger is better for the device long term and doesn't generate heat. It would be a safer for a situation like this and you wouldn't have to worry about it while gone. Whether you leave the phone on or off is up to you at that point. No reason to have it on if you aren't there, I guess.

Plug it in to the wall, take your trip, and have a great time!
    Well, if it were me, I would just power it off and leave it in a drawer. I don't think there is anything that would hurt it leaving it powered on and charging (either on TS or USB).

I guess maybe leaving it on and charging you will be able to use it quicker once you return from Paris, but other than that I don't think there is a real advantage/disadvantage.

Unless 1.4.5 comes out while you are gone, and it will download it and install it for you while you are away... ;-)

EDIT: Good point HelloNNNNEwman about the potential heat issue on the TS, personally I've never experienced that one though...
    Why not just turn the phone off and not worry about it?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Congrats on the big trip - sounds fantastic!

If it were me, I would not leave it on the touchstone because of potential heat issues (they are only designed for short term use)...

Instead, I would leave plugged into the wall via the USB charger. That standard charger is better for the device long term and doesn't generate heat. It would be a safer for a situation like this and you wouldn't have to worry about it while gone. Whether you leave the phone on or off is up to you at that point. No reason to have it on if you aren't there, I guess.

Plug it in to the wall, take your trip, and have a great time!
    Thanks for the well wishes and for the advice!
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Another option to consider . . .

I'm going to London myself. Even though my Pre won't work as a phone there, I plan to use it on WiFi where available. Also, it'll have games, etc for the trip and down times. I hope to figure out how to download maps in order to use MapTools for an offline GPS, too.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Make sure you have a proper power adapter if you plan to bring it with you and charge it through a wall outlet.
    I used my Visor/GSM Springboard module in Paris up to 3 years ago, and since then switched to an unlocked Centro. I'd bring your Pre, just to have a handy camera, GPS photo tracker, etc.

Enjoy!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I would just bring it. Turn it on airplane mode, and wifi on. It's still a great pda, pmp.
    I take my sprint phones with me to places where I know the cellular radio won't work, ,but still use the wifi.

Even if you can't use wifi, the other functions come in handy:

Memos (taking notes about museums, etc)
    Calendar (I can still schedule things (plane rides, dinner dates, etc)
    Photos (I have a big camera, but I will take my Pre out at night when I don't want to carry it) Also, I don't know if you can geotag a photo without a cell signal...I'll try it next time I am out of the country.
    Contacts ( I meet people on my trip and being able to put them in the phone means I don't have to worry about losing the piece of paper)

I guess it depends on how you use your phone, but I bet it will be useful even if you don't have signal.

Nb
    I'm a photographer and sick of taking a camera where ever I go. I'm going on a cruse in early August and taking my Pre just for the camera.
    Personally I would take it, or just turn it off. I don't see the point in leaving something plugged in for 2 weeks while I am gone, especially with a Li-Ion battery....
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    Hi,
    This upcoming week my family will, along with me, will be going on a two week long vacation to Paris (yum)! I am really excited (not meaning to rub it in your face) but there is one problem...I obviously cant bring my Sprint Pre! So, my question is, what should I do with it while I am gone. Should I leave it on my touchstone? Should I plug it into the wall charger? Should I just leave it off? Something else?
    Thanks!
    Well I see you have gotten plenty of responses. I traveled to Austria a few weeks ago and had to decide. I took mine with me, kept it in airplane mode and used wifi (although I had to install the phone in device menu patch to make it work well). I used it for pictures of course and when wifi was available Google maps worked like a charm. I also set up the FB chat spoof which allowed me IM communication with my kids and wife using the messaging app via wifi. I also set up a Google Voice account which allowed me to receive emails for every voice mail that came in and then listen to them using wifi as well.

Have a great time either way.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    We're in Paris right now. We have our Pres with us but keep them in Airplane mode until we locate a wifi hotspot.
    When I go out of the country, I take my phone with me and keep it in WiFi mode to use the Internet in my hotel/on the ship (I take a pocket-sized WiFi router with me for places without WiFi in the rooms). I also use it as an alarm (be aware of time zone changes), clock (on the Touchstone), and PDA.
    Take it with just incase you need to call someone. It might charge you $1.69 a min. That how much they charge me in mexico. It cool no need to add country code or nothing it'll do it for you . Under the phone card click SPRINT , THEN turn on INTERNATIONAL DIALING , THEN SELECT THE COUNTRY YOU ARE AT. You never know when you need a phone.
    i was gone for about a month during may-june and was faced with the same dilemma. i ended up leaving it off at home but immediately regretted that. i def couldve used it for the camera, contacts, memos, music, etc.... also, upon turning it back on i was expecting hundreds of texts and emails but unfortunately, ZERO texts. sprint screwed me there bc i know of at least 10 people that did in fact text me :/ oh well, its in the past now. point being, airplane mode is cool
    Just for the record, I took my European GSM Pre to California in January of this year. I was able to use WiFi and the phone hooked up to an AT&T service that meant I could use the phone to send and receive calls. I was a bit nervous about how much it would cost though, so had it on Airplane mode a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by netzer119 View Post
    also, upon turning it back on i was expecting hundreds of texts and emails but unfortunately, ZERO texts. sprint screwed me there bc i know of at least 10 people that did in fact text me :/ oh well, its in the past now.
    I believe there is a certain time period that texts expire after not being delivered.
    Central Paris is full of Wi-Fi hotspots. Bring the phone to check e-mail or use Google maps (indispensable in Paris). With airplane mode on the Pre will last days between charges.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast