1.    #1  
    Hey all, my GF's Sprint Pre has started doing something strange lately, and my knowledge of WebOS is rather limited, so I thought I would get on here and poll the masses. Did a search and wasn't able to turn anything up.

The problem is that lately, whenever she receives a text or Facebook notification, the screen will illuminate and then just stays awake, requiring her to manually turn it off. Checked in the settings and it's set at 30 seconds to screen off, but it's obviously not doing that. She's not always around her phone at work so this kills the battery quickly.

It does not do this with an email notification, only text or Facebook. Did a battery pull. Running the latest update of WebOS (I believe 1.4.1?) No hacks or anything, the phone is virtually stock. She doesn't have a lot of apps on it, and hasn't downloaded any in quite some time. When she does, it's only one or two at a time so if it were related to that, I would think we could have pinpointed it.

Any suggestions? More information needed?

Thanks in advance!
    That's aggravating. If you go to the Screen & Lock settings app, you can change the settings to not show notifications when locked--that could help. You could also turn off Facebook notifications--I find that since I get emails from Facebook much quicker than from the app the redundancy is annoying. Could also try a new version of Facebook--the new beta is pretty good.

But my big concern is that it sounds like the screen is not locking. When you turn it on using the power button with the screen closed, does the lock screen come up? If not, and a battery pull doesn't fix it, there could be a deeper issue. Might need to do Erase Apps & Data, or possibly webosDoctor.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hi,
    Since you mention that your backlight setting is at 30sec. Then there is a backlight issue going on with the device. Lets try these trouble-shooting: Pull out and replace battery after 10sec. If that fail, try running a webos utility on the device. If both fails, then a webos doctor should most likely fix it.

Here is the new doctor link: http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/serialnumberinitial.htm

Good LuckJ
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's aggravating. If you go to the Screen & Lock settings app, you can change the settings to not show notifications when locked--that could help. You could also turn off Facebook notifications--I find that since I get emails from Facebook much quicker than from the app the redundancy is annoying. Could also try a new version of Facebook--the new beta is pretty good.

But my big concern is that it sounds like the screen is not locking. When you turn it on using the power button with the screen closed, does the lock screen come up? If not, and a battery pull doesn't fix it, there could be a deeper issue. Might need to do Erase Apps & Data, or possibly webosDoctor.
    Your first suggestion seems to be the most appropriate as a temporary fix, since it's both Facebook and text that does it. The lock screen is working normally when we power it up. Battery pull had no effect.

If we do Erase Apps & Data, is there an easy way to restore those items afterwards?

And forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is webosDoctor and how does it work? I linked over to the website and it was talking about a freezing during an OTA. Sounds like you can use it in other situations though? Pros/cons?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.
    Webos doctor is a tool that is use for fixing most problem(s) on the phone. The purpose of using this tool is to correct any issues/problems, and return the device to factory settings. This process erases all kernel(s), Patches, Themes. Pictures and videos are not erase.
  6.    #6  
    Cool might have to go that route. Does it wipe apps/contacts or are those still intact?
    All those will be loaded on back to the phone, once you sign in to your palm profile. Ps. Make sure that back-up is always on. The apps that will be restore are the ones that you purchase, or palm official apps.
    just another suggestion. If you are into the homebrew scene be sure to get save/restore before you visit the good doctor. Between that and the cloud backup, you will have your phone back to "normal" in no time.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...velopment.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    All those will be loaded on back to the phone, once you sign in to your palm profile. Ps. Make sure that back-up is always on. The apps that will be restore are the ones that you purchase, or palm official apps.
    Same thing if you do Erase Apps & Data (which you can find in Device Info)--after it's completed, the apps and data will be reloaded from the Palm profile.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10.    #10  
    Thanks so much for the info and the timely responses. Her having problems just gives me an excuse to learn more about a different OS :-)

Looking forward to getting this fixed... little mama isn't happy unless her technology works, and we all know if little mama ain't happy... ain't nobody happy!

I'll report back with what I find!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If you go to the Screen & Lock settings app, you can change the settings to not show notifications when locked--that could help.
    This worked--the screen no longer illuminates but the notification light still does. I'll try the other fixes to see if it solves the original problem but for now this solution should work fine for her purposes... no more dead battery!

Thanks again jbg... love the profile pic BTW!
    Happy to help.