1.    #1  
    I didn't do the back up and now its all gone. I synched my outlook express contacts with google through companion link. The problem is, I had over 9000 contacts. In google contacts, the contacts loaded to All contacts AND my contacts. So, I wanted to parse down the my contacts list so my pre would not be overwhelmed and bod down when I searched for contacts. I thought that I would just delete all of my contacts, and then I could add back manually the contacts I wanted on my pre by moving selected contacts into my contacts. Nope. When I deleted my contacts, all the contacts in All Contacts got deleted too. So, I can reupload the contacts list from outlook back into google, but I know I will have them all show up in my contacts. How can I upload ONLY to All contacts in google and then selectively move the contacts I want on my phone by adding them into My contacts? Any help would be great.
    did you back them up first?

go ahead and re-upload them.
    webos won't 'bog down' with that many contacts...

there isn't any way to filter them so just use them all. I use outlook so I can edit and categorize them on my pc. But they all go on my pre, including the entire corporate directory...
    if you really want to break them up, you could create multiple accounts and upload some to each account...
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thujonejohn View Post
    I didn't do the back up and now its all gone. I synched my outlook express contacts with google through companion link. The problem is, I had over 9000 contacts. In google contacts, the contacts loaded to All contacts AND my contacts. So, I wanted to parse down the my contacts list so my pre would not be overwhelmed and bod down when I searched for contacts. I thought that I would just delete all of my contacts, and then I could add back manually the contacts I wanted on my pre by moving selected contacts into my contacts. Nope. When I deleted my contacts, all the contacts in All Contacts got deleted too. So, I can reupload the contacts list from outlook back into google, but I know I will have them all show up in my contacts. How can I upload ONLY to All contacts in google and then selectively move the contacts I want on my phone by adding them into My contacts? Any help would be great.
    With all due respect (please don't take any offense - just trying to help), you're not understanding how Google categorizes your contacts or how the Pre will sync them via synergy. On Google's end, your contacts will be categorized into All Contacts for contacts you send e-mail to, import, or add manually. Any contact you add manually (or import) will be categorized as My Contacts. In other words, Google doesn't create duplicates of your contacts. It just labels them such that a contact might be in My Contacts, My Friends, My Co-Workers, and/or All Contacts, etc., but it's really only contained once in your contacts - it just falls under all those categories. I hope that makes sense?

On your Pre, it will only sync with the My Contacts list, so it won't pull in each contact twice (or at least it's not supposed to - if it is you have a problem that isn't typical that I'm aware of). If you want a particular contact to sync to your Pre, you just need to make sure it's listed under My Contacts on Google's end, and then you're all set.

I hope I explained this clearly and answered your question. Again, just trying to help.