Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using Android for a couple of weeks, but I miss WebOS so much. I miss the synergy of my calendar, multiple-exchange accounts (EVO only supports one exchange account) and 3D gaming.

The EVO is a great phone, fast processor, dual cameras etc. I wish there was a way to port WebOS to the EVO. LOL!

I'm picking up my Pre tomorrow morning, then putting my EVO on eBay. Back when I had my Pre, I always had to reboot after playing Need for Speed or any other intense 3D game. Has anyone figured out how to get past this issue?

Switching from EVO to Pre - am I insane?
    I don't think you're insane. I made the exact same switch as you. Earlier this year, I moved from a Sprint Pre to the iPhone. Kept the iPhone on AT&T only a couple of months, then moved to Virgin Mobile prepaid while I decided what smartphone I wanted next. Then, had an EVO 4G for about five hours before deciding the hardware build quality was absolute crap. Got a full refund on that, and kept using the VM prepaid phone for a couple more weeks. I then settled on a Pre Plus on VZW and I'm happy again.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call you insane because everybody has different preferences. I have a couple of coworkers who have the EVO and while it is a great phone and I would probably enjoy owning it, I know I would miss webOS too much.

You know what works best for you so don't worry what everyone else thinks.
    if you can tether your pre, you could go with both...
    like woz said, two phones can be better than one
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I'm using the F105 Thunderchief over clocking option @ 1.0gz - haven't had a tmc error since...
    Treo 600 650 700p 800w Pre
    Don't think you are crazy at all -- in fact, I would say quite the opposite. Too many phanboys have only really every used their one platform, yet think it is THE best for everyone. You have to use what works for you! Glad you found the hardware that does that!

Different strokes for different folks.

To answer your question: Overclocking with a compache compatible kernel (like UberKernel and Govnah) greatly reduces the out of memory errors (I say reduces, others will say removes).
    I salute you!
    You are crazy if you plan on buying a Pre now and then buying whatever new hardware that comes out in a few months. If it were me, I'd rather keep the Evo for a few months, then switch to the new Palm hardware.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Good choice. Though admittedly a kickstand is pretty BA for a phone (if a little ridiculous).
    I use compache on my Pre and never have to reboot my Pre to play games. Love it!
    If you are tech savvy enough and not afraid to doctor your phone if something goes wrong give the Black Bird SR71 kernel a whirl. It overclocks your phone to 1.2Ghz and you will get no TMC errors. In another thread that I started, I said that I tested the EVO against my OC'd Palm Pre and found it to be more responsive than the EVO.

The things you will probably miss since there is no patch that can fix them are the big screen, front facing camera, 4g (maybe), and the much larger app catalog.

Good luck with your decision.
    Running UberKernel (the public release) will fix your problems with TMC, I run UK w/ factory Kernel settings +compcache and it works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Running UberKernel (the public release) will fix your problems with TMC, I run UK w/ factory Kernel settings +compcache and it works great.
    Very true. It is possible (though unpopular) to run the UberKernel without overclocking. TMC errors will be reduced even without compcache (or overclocking) because the webosinternals folks have modified the calculation for it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    on the hardware side, yes you're crazy. On the software side, best move ever!

Throw WebOS on the HTC hw and it's a dream device.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Throw WebOS on the HTC hw and it's a dream device.
    How about a nice new juicy rumor....

The reason HP has been mum on new hardware is that they are negotiating to buy HTC so that it can release webOS on their HW....wish I had the pull to get that one off the ground.
    I think it sounds like a very sane idea
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Very true. It is possible (though unpopular) to run the UberKernel without overclocking. TMC errors will be reduced even without compcache (or overclocking) because the webosinternals folks have modified the calculation for it.
    True True, UK is handling memory management/TMC very nicely. I can load multiple games (just to test never could think of a need). I can have multiple cards open and still open Dr Podder and Internalz with no TMC.

I am almost to the point of putting UK on the wife's phone. Haven't done it yet, cuz I don't keep up on her phone like I do mine, so if it was doing something weird or misses an update for a while it doesn't get updated until I need to do something else in Preware. Not that she couldn't do it, she just doesn't care quite as much as I do (or most of us on these forums ).
    I was in a Sprint store today and played with an EVO for about 20 minutes.

Gotta say I was not that impressed. Nothing compares to the simplicity of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    How about a nice new juicy rumor....

The reason HP has been mum on new hardware is that they are negotiating to buy HTC so that it can release webOS on their HW....wish I had the pull to get that one off the ground.
    Wish it weren't a joke.
    That's it.

After reading this, I am going back to my Pre Plus and selling my Droid Incredible on eBay.

Played around with my Pre Plus today, and I actually MISS IT.

Miss the keyboard, miss the community, miss WebOS, everything.

The only thing I'll miss on my Droid Incredible is the camera, but I guess that's why I have my point and shoot.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast