Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    yes you are crazy. I'd get a epic 4g are at least try to wait out the c40. no use in buying a pre- when the pre2 may be around the corner.
    yup c40 should still be inbound this fall/winter according to a post today at webosroundup website

http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/08/...-includes-c40/
    Last edited by kumquatsrus; 08/05/2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    No worries doc.. To each his own.

My comments were originally aimed at the orginator of the thread. I meant no offense if my passion stepped on your toes.

And yes, you are correct; the toy aspect of my device is my primary reason for having it, the phone is secondary (as long as the phone works of course). And, at this point, the EVO is a much better toy than the Pre,, again,, at this point.
    No worries here either, like I said I have my own reasons for not wanting an EVO.

I watched a few videos of the Samsung Epic 4G (for those that assume anyone who still like/loves their Sprint Pre isn't open to other devices). The phone interests me, but until it and I were to see what could actually be done with it beyond factory software and specs I wouldn't even consider it. The hardware keyboard combined with its hardware specs do interest, but from the stuff I've seen, I am not to keen on the UI. Also I'm not one of those cats that carries a phone for the flash (not adobe flash just to clarify) aspect (my Pre is in a hard case and then goes into a generic soft case since my phone goes in the same pocket as my keys). In the end even the yet to be released phone has a few things I really like, a few things I dont like, and one I am completely unsure on (the landscape keyboard I like the layout of the keyboard itself but not sure how comfortable I would be with it on the daily).

In the end I see in the Epic 4G some things I hope we will see soon from Palm, I also see some things I don't hope we see from Palm. So for my money (or lack of spending money) I will stick with my WebOS device until I see what is next from WebOS. I also still believe HP is moving forward with whatever Palm had in the pipelines (however infant or far along it may have been) but that they are refining the specs, design, and quality control. Palm didn't have the resources to do wide scale work like HP does. HP could potentially be taking what Palm was working on and enhancing it focusing on various aspects all at once, where Palm didn't have the capital or resources to do so. I doubt HP would scrap it and start from scratch at this point, they may be working on other devices as well.
    Really????? This post doesn't even make sense. I was a strong soldier out there promoting the PRE from day one!!! There is no comparison to the EVO especailly with my new Froyo update makes it smooth and fast and beautiful!!

I did love Webos but with the issue of Palm not even announcing new Hardware to go with the best OS around I had to switch. The EVO kills all other phones and the hardware is wonderful and not like a flemmsy piece of crap phone like the hardware on the Pre.

I just know this one thing if Hp/Palm doesn't move on something quick and leak a number of killer devices soon the market will be consumed by Android as its MS is up 866%!!! It is up by this amount even though 'gingerbread" hasn't been released which will be coming in 6 months.

I loved Webos but have gotten very accustomed to Android. HP better make something happen and make it happen quick!
    I advise you to get the EVO root it and if you are a Sprint Premier customer you should be right on time for a new Webos device. Don't be a pawn..The EVO is wondering and I havn't even done half of what it can do. Remember "time to market " for a new device is goint to be at least 8 more months.. And then you don't even know what carrier its going to drop on..SMH..Don't be silly the EVO running FROYO is bad ***!!! Coming from a PALM field soldier!!
    I don't think you've made the right choice, but of course you aren't crazy...

I switched from Sprint to EVO back in June, when I became concerned on whether or not Palm would survive. I'm quite content with my EVO, even though I prefer the WebOS operating system. For myself, when upgrade time comes next Summer, I'll seriously consider switching back to Palm, if they have a good new phone and there is a decent selection of apps available for it. I'll make my decision then. In the meantime, I'm too put off by the Pre's limitations, even though I loved the interface.

But since a smart phone is something you use every day, if you are genuinely unhappy with EVO, and missing Palm, then perhaps for YOU, going retrograde is the right choice.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

I switched three weeks ago from the Pre to the Evo, and I'm never going back. Aside from swipe to delete (w/o a confirmation; in the dialer, it was maddening) and the touchstone, there's nothing at all I miss about webOS, and there's nothing, period, that I miss about the hardware. The Evo is gorgeous and solid. Android is customizable out of the box -- none of that ridiculous "patches and tweaks" that never worked anyway -- and fun and just plain enjoyable in the way that webOS was rigid and frustrating. Never going back, no matter what. Palm is doomed anyway; in 6 months, there'll be nothing to back to. Goodbye, Pre. And good riddance.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Honestly, I have been a 'field soldier' for WebOS and the Pre as well. Until a couple of months ago. I still love the OS, but as many many others have said - the hardware is just terrible. This Friday, I will be taking my phone back and replacing it with Pre #7. Seven phones in one year. So, I am a little fried on the Pre "experience" now - awesome OS or not.

Sprint has offered me a Palm Pixi (really?) or a Samsung Moment in return if I would like. Neither is a viable option for me right now. I am going to switch to the EVO and give it a year and see what happens. Hell, if the OP wants to trade - I would happily do so! I haven't done so yet - because there isn't any available.

After a year, I will look and see what HP Palm has done. See if WebOS2 is on a more solid phone. I had high hopes for the Pre. And it still is a great OS - but seven phones? In late 2009, I would read posts of folks complaining about being on their 4th or 5th Pre - because of oreo, or cracks or what-have-you. I would say to myself "wow, I am glad I am not THAT guy!". Well - I AM that guy. EVO, here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    I switched three weeks ago from the Pre to the Evo, and I'm never going back. Aside from swipe to delete (w/o a confirmation; in the dialer, it was maddening) and the touchstone, there's nothing at all I miss about webOS, and there's nothing, period, that I miss about the hardware. The Evo is gorgeous and solid. Android is customizable out of the box -- none of that ridiculous "patches and tweaks" that never worked anyway -- and fun and just plain enjoyable in the way that webOS was rigid and frustrating. Never going back, no matter what. Palm is doomed anyway; in 6 months, there'll be nothing to back to. Goodbye, Pre. And good riddance.

And to you,

Goodbye, Charlemagne. And good riddance
    Quote Originally Posted by kitster View Post
    Honestly, I have been a 'field soldier' for WebOS and the Pre as well. Until a couple of months ago. I still love the OS, but as many many others have said - the hardware is just terrible. This Friday, I will be taking my phone back and replacing it with Pre #7. Seven phones in one year. So, I am a little fried on the Pre "experience" now - awesome OS or not.

Sprint has offered me a Palm Pixi (really?) or a Samsung Moment in return if I would like. Neither is a viable option for me right now. I am going to switch to the EVO and give it a year and see what happens. Hell, if the OP wants to trade - I would happily do so! I haven't done so yet - because there isn't any available.

After a year, I will look and see what HP Palm has done. See if WebOS2 is on a more solid phone. I had high hopes for the Pre. And it still is a great OS - but seven phones? In late 2009, I would read posts of folks complaining about being on their 4th or 5th Pre - because of oreo, or cracks or what-have-you. I would say to myself "wow, I am glad I am not THAT guy!". Well - I AM that guy. EVO, here I come.
    man 7 pre's in one year, i feel bad for you. I've only had 1 replacement and it was for the headphone problem. this second pre of mine is perfect, guess only random ppl have problems
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquatsrus View Post
    yup c40 inbound this fall/winter according to a post today at webosroundup website
    TheC40 is the "Brett Favre" of phones, will it be, won't it be? It's just all rumor mill stuff until there is an official announcement (or it steps onto the field).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    TheC40 is the "Brett Favre" of phones, will it be, won't it be? It's just all rumor mill stuff until there is an official announcement (or it steps onto the field).
    I with there was a thumbs down in this forums...... nothing and nobody compares to the annoyance that is FAVRE (and yeah I say is like FAHVRAY). Lebron tried to come close this year, but just made way for another summer of FAVRE not wanting to have to do pre-season or camp...... UGHHHH.

Sorry Mikey, you brought it up....
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I with there was a thumbs down in this forums...... nothing and nobody compares to the annoyance that is FAVRE (and yeah I say is like FAHVRAY). Lebron tried to come close this year, but just made way for another summer of FAVRE not wanting to have to do pre-season or camp...... UGHHHH.
    Yep, just glad my team (and dare I say HelloNNNewman's) has a professional quarterback already on the field and practicing.

k, sorry everyone for the offtopic post (but is OldSkool's fault).
    It was an upgrade over the Palm OS, I thought. I could have used it forever, really, because it did what I needed pretty well. The internet experience was terrible though. WebOS was a huge upgrade.
    Someone who said it earlier was right: so few people have really used multiple operating systems. I've used the Iphone 3GS extensively. I've also used the Evo4G extensively, now upgraded to Froyo. I've also used several blackberry devices including the Storm.
    Other than from a hardware standpoint, I really don't see how Android can legitimately compete with WebOS. From my use, it's an inferior operating system in too many ways. It reminds me of Windows Mobile in many ways, and not in a good way. It's clunky and not attractive. The hardware is better, for sure, but even on the Evo4G scrolling stutters at times.
    The Iphone is a much better phone and certainly the equal of WebOS. In contrast to Android, it's elegant and simple to use. It is silky smooth in operation, even with a the 3GS having the same exact internals as WebOS. (Which should tell us that a 1Ghz processor isn't going to make WebOS as smooth as the iphone. It just isn't even at 2.0). It's a beautiful operating system, from fonts to menus. Android, on the other hand, simply isn't. Android works, it's very utilitarian, but I prefer some beauty and grace in my operations. The iphone and WebOS have that.
    Blackberry, well, don't get me started. Even the Storm is simply not a modern operating system. Android is certainly better than the blackberry. I can see why almost all blackberry users are looking at other phones.
    If Android was still on one or two phones, like the Palm with the Pre and Pixi, it would have very limited market share. Only a killer advertising campaign by Verizon and massive sales work in the stores made it as popular as it is. The constant hardware updates by different manufactures is driving Android sales (bigger screens, etc.). Not the operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yep, just glad my team (and dare I say HelloNNNewman's) has a professional quarterback already on the field and practicing.

k, sorry everyone for the offtopic post (but is OldSkool's fault).

This off-topic post is Mikey's fault......

I like the big blue star.....
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Out of the box...no modding...
    Evo is the better phone.
    Mod to your hearts content and the Pre still won't know which way is north.
    I can throw an air cleaner and exhaust on a Honda and it'll never be an Acura.
    I would think that anyone posting to this forum is not looking for what the phone can do out of the box...with the customization available through patches and tweaks my pre+ has become exactly the phone I want. Hardware issues have occurred and I am on my 2nd pre but as long as verizon coughs up replacements I can't imagine switching until HP delivers the next generation. Is anyones android the exact phone for them? My pre is right now the exact phone I want.
    Last edited by flipberkheimer; 08/08/2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by flipberkheimer View Post
    IIs anyones android the exact phone for them?
    Yep, my Evo is exactly what I want it to be right now. But the great thing is that someone will show me something else that I can add to it, and it once again becomes exactly how I want it, but better For example, there is an app that allows you to add widgets, shortcuts, etc to the lock screen, and also modify the unlock slider. So I put my SMS widget there, along with my third-party MP3 player widget, and modified the unlock slider to have one side unlock, one side open the camera, and a button in the middle for ringer modes. Didn't even know I wanted that until I saw someone pimping the app on a forum

I stuck with my Pre for a year before it gave up the ghost, moved to the Evo on launch day, and I just love this phone and Android. WebOS really needs to move to better hardware, sexier hardware, or it's sadly doomed, which would be a shame because it really is a great OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipberkheimer View Post
    I would think that anyone posting to this forum is not looking for what the phone an do out of the box...with the customization available through patches and tweaks my pre+ has become exactly the phone I want. Hardware issues have occurred and I am on my 2nd pre but as long as verizon coughs up replacements I can't imagine switching until HP delivers the next generation. Is anyones android the exact phone for them? My pre is right now the exact phone I want.
    Mine is.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    I missed the touchstone too.. So I did this

I love the Pre / WebOS UI to death, however, the software just isnt there. I had high hopes, but lack of any decent app API has left it cold for me. The 7mbps down 4G helps as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zonyl; 08/08/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    I have seen that "charging dock" before, can you not mod that insert and hide those wires???? Have never owned one, but figure it you can and are willing to wire a touchstone to your brand new HTC, you should be able to mod that ish to not show the wires.... just saying.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345