Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    You are crazy if you plan on buying a Pre now and then buying whatever new hardware that comes out in a few months. If it were me, I'd rather keep the Evo for a few months, then switch to the new Palm hardware.
    I don't think there's going to be any new hardware before next summer... It's Palm, they're sloooow, and they work sloooowly, and HP has the money but never has competed on a market so speedy as this one (I'm guessing the next gen phone is going to born obsolete too)

My best hope is Matias Duarte brings to Android some of the best webOS magic, and we all can seamesly switch to that

I'm not very optimistic, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Again, i gave the HTC virtual keyboard a whirl and it really is about trusting the software. Sure you can't touch type, but i doubt many do that on phones anyway but even then you could do the text to speech.

But i think i was easily faster, within 5 minutes, on the Evo's keyboard. Even if i have to go back to fix a word, its s simple tap and select. I used to see people on iphones literally pounding away on their keyboards with no hesitations and i was confused cause every time i tried it i was always missing letters....but again, just let the software figure out what you are typing and a good virtual keyboard does most of the work for you.
    I find virtual keyboards way faster, and effortless, than hardware ones, because you don't have to actually push the keys...it's even healthier for my thumbs!!

The problem is that theese keyboards rely so much on the software, that you have to find one that really does the work.

But there's a key feature that virtual keyboards will never have: you can't type in the move (walking, on a train, driving....etc), or one handed. And that's the most important typing you'll ever going to need (you are in a hurry, and have no patience for mistakes...). I'm guessing "voice to text" is going to be even better here, but I never tried one of those.

It's just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by pepitosegrilla View Post
    I'm guessing "voice to text" is going to be even better here, but I never tried one of those.

It's just my opinion
    I know A LOT of people are on voice to text, I am way cool off of it. Sure if I had it I may use it once in a while, but not something I would use a lot.

Never been a big fan of voice dialing, and in a lot of instances where I am texting I don't necessarily want to be saying everything out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    I was in a Sprint store today and played with an EVO for about 20 minutes.

Gotta say I was not that impressed. Nothing compares to the simplicity of WebOS.
    Yeah, back when the Hero was all the buzz, I went into a Sprint store and played with it. Had the same reaction you did: too complicated. WebOS is so elegant, a thing of beauty.

I looked at some of the FroYo walkthrough videos and as they went through all the settings, had the same reaction yet again: it's faster, but still too complicated.

All that being said, my Pre is on its last legs. There is a crack that originates at the USB slot and it creeping closer and closer to the screen. I've got the Compcache kernel installed (thank you so much, UnixPsycho!) so no more TMC errors. Without installing a Compcache kernel, IMHO, the Sprint Pre is completely unusable at this point. I seriously almost threw it out a window at one point.

Conveniently, the hardware keyboard-equipped Samsung Epic 4G is coming out in a few weeks.

Maybe I'll be back for WebOS 2.5. If there ever is a Webos 2.5. Hope there is, 'cuz I like WebOS about 10x more than I like Android.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcha View Post
    Yeah, back when the Hero was all the buzz, I went into a Sprint store and played with it. Had the same reaction you did: too complicated. WebOS is so elegant, a thing of beauty.

I looked at some of the FroYo walkthrough videos and as they went through all the settings, had the same reaction yet again: it's faster, but still too complicated.

All that being said, my Pre is on its last legs. There is a crack that originates at the USB slot and it creeping closer and closer to the screen. I've got the Compcache kernel installed (thank you so much, UnixPsycho!) so no more TMC errors. Without installing a Compcache kernel, IMHO, the Sprint Pre is completely unusable at this point. I seriously almost threw it out a window at one point.

Conveniently, the hardware keyboard-equipped Samsung Epic 4G is coming out in a few weeks.

Maybe I'll be back for WebOS 2.5. If there ever is a Webos 2.5. Hope there is, 'cuz I like WebOS about 10x more than I like Android.
    I had the same exact issue as you. Palm will replace your phone if you are still under warranty.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Not crazy.

HOWEVER, I've had dozens of different smartphones in my life and yes, the WEBOS is hands down the best in the industry. BUT the pre/pixi is very buggy,,, OMG! The hardware is just aweful (I went thru 3 Pre's because of hardware failure). The constant need to reboot in order to play any 3D games is just plain unacceptable.

I am loving my EVO.. The hardware is solid, and the specs are endless (the compass is freaking awesome). Andriod is a solid OS that isn't nearly as sweet, functional and open as WEBOS, but still very robust, not to mention its native integration with Google makes hard to not like.
    Oh, did I mention the gazillion apps?? OMG, I'm having a ball with my EVO.

That said, when HPalm comes out with a decent PHONE that can actually support it's OS, the hell yeah, I'll be back. In the meantime, my Pre is where it belongs, in the hands of a child (my 11 year old son). I'll keep my EVO, a real phone designed to hold up.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I just switched to the EVO from a Palm Pre, and I do miss the Webos, but after the phone functionality I primarily use it as a web browser and e-book reader. The 4.3 screen wins easily. The 4g is worthless here in Vegas, it just eats my battrey. The 3g rocks. I am a large guy, and I still find the EVO to be somewhat bulky, as I keep it in my shirt pocket. I thought about switching to the dell 5" GSM Android phone (the streak I think it is called) and that would be to large. Until they get good flexible roll up screens, the EVO is probably my last phone for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    the WEBOS
    AHH!! You said it.
    I'll keep my EVO, a real phone designed to hold up.

ROFLMAO .... dude that is epic.

Not saying the Pre is better, but that statement there shows me a lil something...... you haven't had the EVO long, or you are turning a blind eye to the known issues on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    ROFLMAO .... dude that is epic.

Not saying the Pre is better, but that statement there shows me a lil something...... you haven't had the EVO long, or you are turning a blind eye to the known issues on the phone.
    Seems to me like he and everybody else are having WAY less problems with the Evo than the Pre. So his statement holds value.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Seems to me like he and everybody else are having WAY less problems with the Evo than the Pre. So his statement holds value.

Not really, there are issues with the Evo too (and once again it hasnt been out 15 months).

Also as has been discussed here enough times, some folks have replaced their phone 6, 7, + times..... others have had launch phones that have lasted more than the year (this includes doing things that probably shouldn't be done in some cases, like OCing those early processors that have been rumored to be a lil weaker than some of the newer builds).

Ohhh and I do encourage you to read up on the EVO issues.... as I have always said and we all know its the people with complaints that post, but those folks are out there (just not on this forum).
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not really, there are issues with the Evo too (and once again it hasnt been out 15 months).

Also as has been discussed here enough times, some folks have replaced their phone 6, 7, + times..... others have had launch phones that have lasted more than the year (this includes doing things that probably shouldn't be done in some cases, like OCing those early processors that have been rumored to be a lil weaker than some of the newer builds).

Ohhh and I do encourage you to read up on the EVO issues.... as I have always said and we all know its the people with complaints that post, but those folks are out there (just not on this forum).
    Every electronic has problems. But Evo or most phones for that matter have not been this poorly built as the Pre. And I read up on the Evo problems but like I said they are no where near the problem as the Pre.
    I know you love to argue semantics, but as I said in my first post I was laughing at his comment
    I'll keep my EVO, a real phone designed to hold up.
    I also said I was not saying the Pre was better. When someone makes a blatant bold statement as such about a new piece of electronic equipment that has not been out long and has exhibited problems from the jump off, it is funny.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    No, you should read some of the earlier Pre posts.. The Pre had hardware issues DAY 1.. This is an undisputed fact. The EVO has been out for a few months: this same time with the Pre the forums were BUZZING with failures and replacements.

Also, don't ignore my other comments.. I reboot my phone when I feel I should, NOT when I wish run an app or play a game. That's BS for real and Palm should fix it or give it's users new phones.. (as if).. And that compass in the EVO is sweeeet! Skymaps, Latitude, Footprints, Google maps (with street view) is sick!

Don't be a purist. WEBOS is best in my book, but the platform is waaaaaay behing the curve..
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Oh, forgive me, but I failed to mention speed.. Duh,, how could I make such a BLATANT oversight..
    On MY EVO, when I hit mail, I get mail. On the Pre when I hit mail, I some flashing icon telling me mail is opening.. Waaait for it, waaait for it... Mail..

No contest! WEBOS rocks, Pre sucks!
    No, you should read some of the earlier Pre posts.. The Pre had hardware issues DAY 1.. This is an undisputed fact. The EVO has been out for a few months: this same time with the Pre the forums were BUZZING with failures and replacements.

Also, don't ignore my other comments.. I reboot my phone when I feel I should, NOT when I wish run an app or play a game. That's BS for real and Palm should fix it or give it's users new phones.. (as if).. And that compass in the EVO is sweeeet! Skymaps, Latitude, Footprints, Google maps (with street view) is sick!

Don't be a purist. WEBOS is best in my book, but the platform is waaaaaay behing the curve..
    Dude cool out, I have been around and have read about all the hardware issues. Like I said now for the 3rd time, not saying the Pre is better, for the 3rd time I am just saying your comment to end what seamed to be a well thought out and well balanced post made me LOL.

As far as phone reboots that is a known issue of the non plus Pre (not going to get into all the speculation as to why the non Plus carriers haven't gotten upgraded, this isn't the thread for that). Personally I don't have a problem with reboots on my Sprint Pre thanks to the cats at WebOS Internals.

For real though, cool out. Wasn't calling you out or saying anything bad about you or your post (the specific reason I removed all of the quote but the last sentence). Sorry it made me laugh, in all honesty since now I feel like I have to explain it.... if you really just wanted a phone made to last non of us would even be using smartphones. The more crap you pack into a small package the higher the level of failure (THIS IS WHY YOUR COMMENT WAS FUNNY, AND THIS IS WHY I SAID I WASN'T SAYING THE PRE WAS ANY BETTER).

If you REALLY wanted a phone to just be a durable phone, none of us would be here. We certainly wouldn't be dropping the money we do on these phones and we wouldn't spend free time on these forums. Clearly regardless of what phone you think is best, (as I have said many times on these forums and even in this thread, nothing on the market currently is worth my money when I've got a fully functional Pre) we are all here because we want more than JUST A FUNCTIONING PHONE. **** I don't even really use my phone as a phone.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    No worries doc.. To each his own.

My comments were originally aimed at the orginator of the thread. I meant no offense if my passion stepped on your toes.

And yes, you are correct; the toy aspect of my device is my primary reason for having it, the phone is secondary (as long as the phone works of course). And, at this point, the EVO is a much better toy than the Pre,, again,, at this point.
    yes you are crazy. I'd get a epic 4g are at least try to wait out the c40. no use in buying a pre- when the pre2 may be around the corner.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    To the OP: You still got that EVO? I'm trying to get a hold of one cuz I'm tired of the bugs that I deal with every day on this device and everyone's out!
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r View Post
    I'm using the F105 Thunderchief over clocking option @ 1.0gz - haven't had a tmc error since...
    how did you get thunderchief? I can't get it anywhere
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast