webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Best Free Sync Software for Pre?
Best Free Sync Software for Pre?

Old 07/29/2010, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me what the latest and greatest FREE sync software is to syn the Pre with Outlook etc.?

Thanks!
Triple xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2010, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

nothing available for free. sorry. I use Pocket Mirror from Chapura.

The only Free route is to use gMail to synch with outlook, and then sync your pre with gMail. I am not a gmail fan, so I just paid the $ to get Pocket Mirror. WOrks great.

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
Reserve yours today!
Workerb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2010, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
Can anyone tell me what the latest and greatest FREE sync software is to syn the Pre with Outlook etc.?

Thanks!
I don't think you're going to find anything that syncs directly for free. Maybe if you offered some of the companies free janitorial services or something, they'd give you a copy for free.

Kidding (with a message) aside, I believe you can find some free Outlook to Google sync applications, then you can sync Google back to Palm.
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2010, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't you guys use the Data Transfer Assistant?

I was using Data Transfer Assistant then I wiped my PC. Data is still on my Pre but I cannot seem to be able to sync it up to Outlook! How do I do that?
Old 07/29/2010, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

DTA is one-time only to put them in your Palm profile. You can't export them or sync them from the Palm profile... I suggest you avoid it...
Old 07/29/2010, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
DTA is one-time only to put them in your Palm profile. You can't export them or sync them from the Palm profile... I suggest you avoid it...
So what should I use to sync my data from my Pre to my desktop?
Old 07/29/2010, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you talking about "Palm Desktop" or Outlook running on your desktop PC? That will make a difference.

Here is a thread that should provide an overview for those coming from the PalmOS world...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html
Old 07/29/2010, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, DTA was never a sync tool. It was a one time transfer tool. If you want to sync from Outlook to the Pre, you are going to have to buy a software package, or find a workaround. I don't know any free sync package from Outlook to the Pre.

If your Outlook is tied to a server, you can get the data by syncing the Pre to that server.

If not, and your determined that a solution be free, here's what I suggest (same thing as before, just more details).
Personally, I think you'd be better off coughing up the money for a paid application. CompanionLink for Google works very well, but there are others.
Old 07/29/2010, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
Again, DTA was never a sync tool. It was a one time transfer tool. If you want to sync from Outlook to the Pre, you are going to have to buy a software package, or find a workaround. I don't know any free sync package from Outlook to the Pre.

If your Outlook is tied to a server, you can get the data by syncing the Pre to that server.

If not, and your determined that a solution be free, here's what I suggest (same thing as before, just more details).
Personally, I think you'd be better off coughing up the money for a paid application. CompanionLink for Google works very well, but there are others.
And this is the part where parsons knows I will chime in and point out that there are many of us that wont ever expose our critical info to google, which is why the 3rd party sync apps are in business - although waaaaay too expensive.

@parsons, you know I can't help saying it - LOL I agree with you that this guy would be better off with CL if he is using the actual Palm Desktop...
Old 07/29/2010, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
And this is the part where parsons knows I will chime in and point out that there are many of us that wont ever expose our critical info to google, which is why the 3rd party sync apps are in business - although waaaaay too expensive.

@parsons, you know I can't help saying it - LOL I agree with you that this guy would be better off with CL if he is using the actual Palm Desktop...
Actually, he laid the groundwork for the sync option I mentioned, by specifying "free". I don't know of a free application to sync Outlook with the Pre.

I'm shocked though, that one would think this critical business information is not worth $30-$50 to sync properly.
Old 07/29/2010, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks!

This is how I have my Outlook synced to my Pre for free.

1. Office Outlook 2010 on desktop configured using IMAP.
2. Email on Pre configured using IMAP.

in this way my email are sync to me pre. What I opened on desktop is already marked read on PRE and vice versa. Same applies for sent and deleting.

3. To sync calendar I use Google Calendar Sync. I have a gmail account so i configure my gmail calendar on my Pre Calendar app. My calendar gets sync both ways.
4. For my Tasks I use ToodleDo Outlook Sync. On my Pre I use an App called Done(paid and beta(free) available. Using the beta at the moment. Create a toodledo account and use that account on the Done app. Add, delete, edit both ways....

That is what I use now......
DAVINCIBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2010, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Interesting side note on the security concerns with Google. The city of Los Angeles announced they were moving from Novell to Google Apps last year. Apparently, Google has missed LA's deadline. The cause for the delay? - Security issues.

Here's a general story on it:
Google Fails to Meet LA Deadline, Hits Cost Overruns

And here's Novell's spin (can't blame them for being a little snarky, can you)
NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Security and the cloud

Last edited by hparsons; 07/29/2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Had the URLs reversed
Old 07/29/2010, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting side note on the security concerns with Google. The city of Los Angeles announced they were moving from Novell to Google Apps last year. Apparently, Google has missed LA's deadline. The cause for the delay? - Security issues.

Here's a general story on it:
NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Security and the cloud

And here's Novell's spin (can't blame them for being a little snarky, can you)
Google Fails to Meet LA Deadline, Hits Cost Overruns
Proof of your objectivity! Now we have to work on helping you mistrust google! LOL, you da man!

Last edited by Workerb33; 07/29/2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07/29/2010, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
This is how I have my Outlook synced to my Pre for free.

1. Office Outlook 2010 on desktop configured using IMAP.
2. Email on Pre configured using IMAP.

in this way my email are sync to me pre. What I opened on desktop is already marked read on PRE and vice versa. Same applies for sent and deleting.

3. To sync calendar I use Google Calendar Sync. I have a gmail account so i configure my gmail calendar on my Pre Calendar app. My calendar gets sync both ways.
4. For my Tasks I use ToodleDo Outlook Sync. On my Pre I use an App called Done(paid and beta(free) available. Using the beta at the moment. Create a toodledo account and use that account on the Done app. Add, delete, edit both ways....

That is what I use now......
When you say you are using IMAP, do you mean you have an IMAP server system on your desktop, or that you are syncing via IMAP to a server?

I know it sounds like I'm nit-picking, but if you're doing the latter, that's what I was referring to when I spoke about getting the data to the Pre directly to the server (I didn't specifiy IMAP, because if he has a server, it may be an Exchange server, in which case using EAS would be better).

The problem with IMAP is that it's mail only. It doesn't sync contacts. I got the impression since he talked about DTA. That doesn't transfer email.
Old 07/29/2010, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
Whoa, Google Calendar Sync works with Outlook 2010 now? When I was on the beta version of 2010, it wouldn't work at all, and I made the switch to Thunderbird with Lightning extension. I would much rather use Outlook.

Not enough apps in the catalog? Well, the apps suit my needs just fine.

You're on your 3rd replacement? My launch day Pre never had a problem.

WebOS = potential
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2010, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Proof of your objectivity! Now we have to wok on helping you mistrust google! LOL, you da man!
Believe it or not, I've been in the IT business over 20 years, with much of that time spent implementing and support Novell products.

I think that for most users, syncing with Google is fine. For sensitive information though, it's not something I would recommend (each person has to come up with their own decision about what is "sensitive").

Ironicially, that was one of my early complaints about the Treo - it was very insecure. Very insecure. I used to amaze some of the folks I work with at how much information I could pull from the device in seconds.

I really do believe that the cloud, even with all its security issues today, is going to increase security in the long run. In "the old days" you could pretend your PDA (or computer) was "secure" since it was in your office, house, whatever (it really wasn't, trust me). As data goes to the cloud, some users will insist that it be done in an acceptably secure manner.

I believe that's one of the reasons Novell was so slow to adopt EAS (they have now) for their GroupWise system.

Anyway, off-topic for this guy. For him, I don't know what the best answer is, other than "be more willing to open your wallet"
Old 07/29/2010, 02:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stung View Post
Whoa, Google Calendar Sync works with Outlook 2010 now? When I was on the beta version of 2010, it wouldn't work at all, and I made the switch to Thunderbird with Lightning extension. I would much rather use Outlook.
Best bet is to give it a shot. Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help
Old 07/29/2010, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
When you say you are using IMAP, do you mean you have an IMAP server system on your desktop, or that you are syncing via IMAP to a server?

I know it sounds like I'm nit-picking, but if you're doing the latter, that's what I was referring to when I spoke about getting the data to the Pre directly to the server (I didn't specifiy IMAP, because if he has a server, it may be an Exchange server, in which case using EAS would be better).

The problem with IMAP is that it's mail only. It doesn't sync contacts. I got the impression since he talked about DTA. That doesn't transfer email.
i have a third party email. so they have an imap connection to their server. so instead of configuring your desktop email as pop or exchange i connnect it using imap specs
Old 07/29/2010, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stung View Post
its not compatible yet. you need to edit your outlook.exe using a hex editor for it to work.
Old 01/04/2013, 06:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

any free sync options yet?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0