Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally tried Mobile Hotspot on my Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus. This runs amazingly fast. I am able to stream Netflix and browse Web pages on my laptop at just slightly slower speeds than over my 20 Gbps Comcast cable connection. Simply amazing. I am 100% sold. Now, if only they didn't cap the data at 5 GB per month.

(And p.s. - is there a way to tell how much MHS data I've used so far in a billing cycle? I see a counter for overall data on MyVZW online, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the phone for just MHS?)
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Web pages on my laptop at just slightly slower speeds than over my 20 Gbps Comcast cable connection.

Man whats that cost about 100k a month? Also what package is that I gotta start screaming for them to offer it in my area.
    (And p.s. - is there a way to tell how much MHS data I've used so far in a billing cycle? I see a counter for overall data on MyVZW online, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the phone for just MHS?)
    There is an app called netstat. It tells you the among of data used for WAN/WLAN und Bluetooth.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Man whats that cost about 100k a month? Also what package is that I gotta start screaming for them to offer it in my area.
    Oh, hahaha, of course - Mbps - just feels like Gbps. Thanks for catching that.
    If you log in to My Verizon then click the data usage tab, look for "Mobile Broadband Connect". That is your Mobile Hotspot data usage.
    There's a Verizon bookmark in the web browser that you can use to get to ur account info and look at your usage.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    There's a Verizon bookmark in the web browser that you can use to get to ur account info and look at your usage.
    Yes, but that's overall data usage. Doesn't look like it's broken down to show what's MHS and what's on-phone.
  8. viv
    Yes, but that's overall data usage. Doesn't look like it's broken down to show what's MHS and what's on-phone.
    If you go there and select data details, it then separates the data info into domestic data usage and domestic broadband usage.
    watch your battery--Mobile hotspot drains mine slowly even when plugged in
    Quote Originally Posted by viv View Post
    If you go there and select data details, it then separates the data info into domestic data usage and domestic broadband usage.
    And the netstat app gives you only the overall usage for each interface (WAN radio/Wifi/bluetooth).
    I got hot spots app on my sprint pre, no data cap here
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    5GB is Verizon's data cap? Does that cap apply to data used while using the Mobile Hotspot app, or does that include data used on the Pre itself too? I use the Mobile Hotspot at college, but only use it to access online text books which don't use a whole lot of data. With that being said, I was always under the impression that Mobile Hotspot data was capped at 2GB, if it is 5GB that's nice to know.
  13. viv
    Quote Originally Posted by mnotar91 View Post
    5GB is Verizon's data cap? Does that cap apply to data used while using the Mobile Hotspot app, or does that include data used on the Pre itself too? I use the Mobile Hotspot at college, but only use it to access online text books which don't use a whole lot of data. With that being said, I was always under the impression that Mobile Hotspot data was capped at 2GB, if it is 5GB that's nice to know.
    I believe you get 5GB normally and 5GB throug mobile hotspot for a total of 10 GB.
    As far as I understand, told by a VZW rep, you get a total of 5 gigs of data usage per month.
    Out of that month, you can use MHS for 2 gigs of your 5. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $add$ $up$, $and$ $works$ $off$ $of$ $the$ $same$ $5$ $gigs$ $you$ $get$, $and$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $get$ $anything$ $else$.

I hope I'm wrong...

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yep you are wrong. Palm Pre Plus from Verizon. 2 year contract. Unlimited Data.
    Mobile Hot Spot 5GB per Month. The Verizon Website keeps up with both as separate things.

For instance, 22 days into my month I show 1.4 GB of Domestic Data Used (Data on Phone).

2.5 GB Domestic Mobile Broadband Connect Data Used (Mobile Hot spot).

I do my best to get as close to my 5GB as possible without going over.
    Are you saying that the phone can use more than 5gb per month? Thats what I'm wondering cause I get very close to that every month. I don't wanna go over my 'unlimited' data if its not really unlimited.

(I'm just talking about the phone side of things, not MHS which I now understand.)
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    I just signed up for the unlimited plan before vzw takes it away like att. If it turns out not to be I will be ****ed. I'm betting its unlimited from the research I've done, though.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Verizon says unlimited. I have yet to see where they have a charge for going over 5GB. I have not gone over GB yet to find out.
    Yep, regular data on Pre Plus is truly unlimited, data ONLY used with Mobile Hotspot turned on has a 5gb cap with a charge of $.05 per mb thereafter.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thank you for the clarification. 5GB cap for data used via Mobile Hotspot - I'll keep that in mind when using the app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast