Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Without Overclocking patch or restarting every time?

I am kind of warry about using a overclocking patch and voiding my warranty.

Is there anytihng else I can do? Change some settings? Delete sometihng? Why does it work when I restart but I get the "too many cards" error if I try to play a game after the phone has been on more then 10-20mins. I know this doesnt happen on the pre plus and isnt game support coming to Pixi? How could Pixi run games and the Sprint Pre cant?

Any help would be appreciated
    Ram is full download the homebrew app Jstop and run a garbage collect before you play and you'll be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Ram is full download the homebrew app Jstop and run a garbage collect before you play and you'll be fine
    I have found that Jstop doesn't always fix the problem.

A luna restart works almost all the time and at least it's only a 30 second restart versus a 2 or 3 minute full restart.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I have found that Jstop doesn't always fix the problem.

A luna restart works almost all the time and at least it's only a 30 second restart versus a 2 or 3 minute full restart.
    How do you Luna Restart?
    1. Install Govnah
    2. Install Uberkernel
    3. Reboot
    4. In Govnah, set your Pre to run at a maximum speed of 600 MHz
    5. In Govnah, enable compcache

Compcache is what helps the original Pre overcome the nefarious "Too Many Cards" error. With Uberkernel and Govnah, you can take advantage of it WITHOUT overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by wv06 View Post
    Without Overclocking patch or restarting every time?

I am kind of warry about using a overclocking patch and voiding my warranty.

Is there anytihng else I can do? Change some settings? Delete sometihng? Why does it work when I restart but I get the "too many cards" error if I try to play a game after the phone has been on more then 10-20mins. I know this doesnt happen on the pre plus and isnt game support coming to Pixi? How could Pixi run games and the Sprint Pre cant?

Any help would be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    1. Install Govnah
    2. Install Uberkernel
    3. Reboot
    4. In Govnah, set your Pre to run at a maximum speed of 600 MHz
    5. In Govnah, enable compcache

Compcache is what helps the original Pre overcome the nefarious "Too Many Cards" error. With Uberkernel and Govnah, you can take advantage of it WITHOUT overclocking.
    The OP said they don't want to overclock
    A Sprint Pre runs SO much better when it is overclocked. I would really suggest trying it. If there is a problem, you can uninstall the Kernel or Doctor it and be back to normal. With Govnah and compache installed, I have had up to 3 games running with no "too many cards" errors and can still get messages and websurf.

AND it's faster and smoother.

I say download the doctor for back up and have at it.

nb
    I know. That's why I told them how to do it without overclocking. Palm runs the Pre at 600MHz, you know. Not all the time, but they do bump it up there.
    But even running it at over 500mhz it is underclocked to while technically not overclocking is still a warranty voider
    You can run Compcache and not set the clock frequency higher.
    But even running it at over 500mhz it is underclocked to while technically not overclocking is still a warranty voider
    Actually all PDK apps kick the processor up to 600 MHz even with the stock kernel.

You can verify this by ensuring the you have the stock kernel installed and running. Then open Terminus (a PDK terminal app) and do a cpu speed check. It will give you 597 BogoMips.

For the OP, the easiest access to a manual garbage collector is the advanced options in launcher patch, and Luna Restart is the Luna Manager.
    You can run Compcache and not set the clock frequency higher.
    I am fairly certain that installing any kernel will afford you the same voided warranty opportunity whether you actually change the processor speed or not.

Replacing the kernel is an unauthorized modification.
    After all the kudos from HP about the great things Homebrew devs have accomplished, can anyone point towards an article that spells out what is authorized and what isn't when it comes to patches, mods, or overclocking?
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    After all the kudos from HP about the great things Homebrew devs have accomplished, can anyone point towards an article that spells out what is authorized and what isn't when it comes to patches, mods, or overclocking?
    There have been numerous quotes posted in some of the OC threads where Palm has been quoted as saying that Overclocking is an unauthorized modification (and it isn't a patch it is a kernel replacement). But Homebrew patches and apps are not unauthorized modifications.

You could search posts and threads to find some of them. But be prepared to do a lot of reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I am fairly certain that installing any kernel will afford you the same voided warranty opportunity whether you actually change the processor speed or not.

Replacing the kernel is an unauthorized modification.
    I didn' think you were correct at first but Rod Whitby says the following in the Uber-Kernel thread:

It's only there for people who are willing to have their warranty voided.
    There is a patch that adds restart options like Java restart, luna restart and device restart to the restart option (holding the power button). Patch is called restart options I believe.
    I didn' think you were correct at first but Rod Whitby says the following in the Uber-Kernel thread:
    The Thanks button is to the right... .
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    There is a patch that adds restart options like Java restart, luna restart and device restart to the restart option (holding the power button). Patch is called restart options I believe.
    Advanced Reset Options by Jason Robitaille
    I would say to install UberKernel and Govnah and using the UberKernel Default patch. Basically the kernel only kicks it up to 800mHz when playing games, otherwise it just keeps it running at 500 for everything else. I would say that is that safest way.