Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I am at the airport and I am tethering instead of the usual mobile hotspot. The pre stays cool and it actually recharges while it is being tethered.
    This is awesome and the speed is soo fast! (both the hotspot and tethering seem fast to me though)
    Thanks for all those developers and informers!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  2. #2  
    details?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I am at the airport...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    details?

    Yeah, what's your home address? Will your TV fit in my trunk? LOL
  4. #4  
    I believe the OP is referring to USB tethering as opposed to wifi.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I believe the OP is referring to USB tethering as opposed to wifi.
    Ah... makes sense because my Pre pretty much responded the same way with MyTether or MHS while acting as a mobile wifi router.
  6. #6  
    how do you enable usb tethering?

    MHS requires the device to act as a wireless router which (understandably) does affect battery life. USB tethering does not require a wireless signal broadcast and thus should be less battery hungry. It does require that your device be hooked up to your PC. I wasn't sure if it is also charging while it happens. My htc tilt worked well that way as well. MHS is great for having another device like an ipad in addition to your PC be connected and it requires no wires great for cars.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    how do you enable usb tethering?

    MHS requires the device to act as a wireless router which (understandably) does affect battery life. USB tethering does not require a wireless signal broadcast and thus should be less battery hungry. It does require that your device be hooked up to your PC. I wasn't sure if it is also charging while it happens. My htc tilt worked well that way as well. MHS is great for having another device like an ipad in addition to your PC be connected and it requires no wires great for cars.
    I know it can be done with MyTether (it has a USB or Wifi option), but I don't know if there is some other solution.
  8. #8  
    there are already posts on the forum for how to setup tethering without too much hassle.

    I don't have a link though, and haven't done it myself,but if you are knowledgeable about proper driver installations on your PC then the directions you'll find here should suffice.
  9. #9  
    STU5797, What were you using? MyTether? Or is there another homebrew option that goes in conjunction with freetetherd service besides Mobile Hotspot?
  10.    #10  
    I am using freetetherd. I am trying to find the link for setting it up
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  11.    #11  
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  12. #12  
    I really like the hot spots app on my sprint pre. I haven't tried mytether though. I read that many people have trouble connecting through wifi via mytether, hotspots handles up to 5 devices no problem.
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
  13. #13  
    Unfortunately, if you have a macbook like I do, you can't USB tether for some reason. They don't have the proper USB drivers for mac or something. Does anyone know of a good, step by step link to setting up Mobile Hotspot on my palm pre (not palm pre plus)? I know it can be done, but the instructions I have seen so far don't seem to make alot of sense to me.
  14. MNotar91's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    #14  
    I would imagine that Tethering via USB would be faster. When I was a BlackBerry user I tethered via USB with the app called TetherBerry - now known as Tether. On my Pre Plus with Verizon I use the free Mobile Hotspot app and it works great and I don't notice much of a speed decrease. The battery strain is noticeable, but it is much more convenient for me because I use the Hotspot in college classes and no longer needing a USB cable is great. I also use a Linux distro and the Mobile Hospot eliminates compatability issues when I'm away from OS X.
  15. #15  
    All you need to usb tether is : enable usb mode in root, freetether to enable IP forwarding, and usb drivers. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $mac$ $drivers$ $are$ $not$ $stable$...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. #16  
    In addition, you can plug the Pre into the USB drive to charge while you're using MHS and it will allow you to hook up 5 devices and charge. Unlike the USB tether that only allows one device.
  17.    #17  
    yes but the pre gets too hot using moblie hotspot. When using mhs you almost need to use your usb cable because battery drain is horrible. (and the battery still drains) My point all along is usb tethering keeps the pre very cool and your battery will actually recharge while you are doing it. I understand that mhs allows multiple advices to be connected and will use if I need it for multiple devices. In my example I was at the airport and if you are by yourself I ALWAYS recco usb tethering. I can see why unix stopped working on kernels!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  18. #18  
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Lolz, I never even considered that this was possible and it's so easy. Seriously, I just enabled usbnet in Terminus, reboot, then plugged it into my PC and Ubuntu worked with it straight away. Amazing, cause MHS was giving me battery warnings all the time and I'm stuck at a family reunion right now in a house with no wifi, so I'll be needing to tether the entire weekend, lolz.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    yes but the pre gets too hot using moblie hotspot. When using mhs you almost need to use your usb cable because battery drain is horrible. (and the battery still drains) My point all along is usb tethering keeps the pre very cool and your battery will actually recharge while you are doing it. I understand that mhs allows multiple advices to be connected and will use if I need it for multiple devices. In my example I was at the airport and if you are by yourself I ALWAYS recco usb tethering. I can see why unix stopped working on kernels!
    Good point. I'll consider usb tethering when I'm out and about. Most times I use mhs when I'm at work and using my laptop. At work, my Pre is on the touchstone so I don't notice the heat. I don't like using the usb port, but if you're going to use it to charge, you may as well use a direct tether.
  20. mauro1's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Lolz, I never even considered that this was possible and it's so easy. Seriously, I just enabled usbnet in Terminus, reboot, then plugged it into my PC and Ubuntu worked with it straight away. Amazing, cause MHS was giving me battery warnings all the time and I'm stuck at a family reunion right now in a house with no wifi, so I'll be needing to tether the entire weekend, lolz.
    Fellow Ubuntu user here, reminding that you can add to the out-of-the-box mix the ability to tether via Bluetooth. Add the bluez-compat package and use pand to connect. A script for conencting is pretty easy to create based on "pand" and "dhclient"

    .- pand --connect <MAC_ADDR_OF_PRE> -d NAP
    .- dhclient <interface>
    .- pand --list
    .- pand --kill

    On the Pre side you work it the same you would as USB tethering (remember that bluetooth is a cable-replacement idea, so think of it as wireless USB for this case). Cheers!
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions