Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 507
  1. #81  
    Seidio 1350 battery (about 4 months old)

    Getage = 99.21875
    Getfull40 = 1363.125
    Getcapacity = 1340.917

    Just a FYI, I also have two Palm OEM batteries and also another Seidio 1350 battery...will post results of other batteries later. Sometimes my batteries are charged on Palm OEM Battery Charger and sometimes the batteries get charged in the Pre Plus on the Touchstone. I do rotate the batteries.
    Last edited by Kewl 700p; 07/30/2010 at 02:17 AM.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I have to comment on the getfull40 numbers again. Something is fishy is clearly going on because an exact number of 1150 is nearly impossible to reach through empirical testing. My hypothesis is that if for some reason the Pre can't read the full capacity of that battery, it automatically defaults to 1150.

    This might actually be a problem for those with sedio batteries that read 1150 because the pre might not be attempting to charge the battery to its full charge capacity
    Found some evidence of this theory in the kernel.

    Code:
    printk(KERN_WARNING
    "unable to read battery full40 or full40 = 0 - using default of %d\n", data->full40);
    The default is a hexvalue
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_FULL40 0x0ECA
    So if you think it is using the default you should see the entry in /var/log/messages.
  3. mcericx's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #83  
    seidio 2600:

    getfull 2300
    getage 100

    about 1 month old.

    looks odd to me
  4. #84  
    1183.125
    97.65625
    1155
    Thats good Right?
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Found some evidence of this theory in the kernel.

    Code:
    printk(KERN_WARNING
    "unable to read battery full40 or full40 = 0 - using default of %d\n", data->full40);
    The default is a hexvalue
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_FULL40 0x0ECA
    So if you think it is using the default you should see the entry in /var/log/messages.
    Ooooh, so those who have Seidio's that have getfull40 values of 1150 might be able to change the default to 1350 (or perhaps 1330 to be safe) and then get it to charge fully! That's pretty cool.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6. antmon1's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #86  
    stock 1150 battery (13mos old):
    Last edited by antmon1; 07/30/2010 at 07:52 AM.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  7. mrtonk's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #87  
    How do you change the default?
  8. thornev's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Can you please show us the contend of getcapacity?
    getcapacity = 1331.998
  9. antmon1's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #89  
    stock 1150 battery (13mos old):

    Getfull40 = 1183.1
    Getcapacity = 914.5
    Getage = 77.3

    so, 77% of my battery is still chargeable 1yr+....not bad, not bad.... would've thought iit would've been closer to 50%.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  10. #90  
    Getfull40 = 1183.125
    Getage = 67.18750
    Getcapacity = 794.572

    so (1183.125*6718750)/100=794.912

    does that mean I am at 79% cause my battery is dieing very quickly these days???
  11. Kablin's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #91  
    Can someone create a little APP for this?
    It will be very cool!
  12. mcericx's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #92  
    so my 2600mah seidio shows at getcapacity about 960.
    getful40 is 2300 tho.

    those files cant be edited in any way, they seem to get feeded from an algorithm somehow.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I have a new (relatively) Seido 2300 battery. getfull40 reads 2300. getage reads 658.651. I'm pretty sure the formula / 100 isn't exactly the right number for my battery capacity, though.
    I tried again today. This time the gadget has been fully chaged since it's last reboot. Today it says:

    getfull40 2300
    getage 100
    getcapacity 660.617
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    How do you change the default?
    Unless we wanted to find it ourselves in the kernel code, we'd need somline to tell us where he/she found it. If it is truly in the kernel source, I think we would need to recompile whichever package it's in. Someone might be able to make a patch, which would be a lot easier for users.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Unless we wanted to find it ourselves in the kernel code, we'd need somline to tell us where he/she found it. If it is truly in the kernel source, I think we would need to recompile whichever package it's in. Someone might be able to make a patch, which would be a lot easier for users.
    Any change to whatever supplies the default (if there really is such a thing) would be dangerous. Three thoughts...

    1. If there really is a default then why do some larger capacity batteries register correctly. It seems this alleged default is not a limiter.

    2. If changing said default threshold, which do you change it to? There are various larger capacity batteries so you would have to have a patch for each possibility. Then what if someone places a stock battery in a device patched to 2600. Now you have a very dangerous situation in which the charge circuit is continually applying voltage to a battery that is already full. Which could result in a meltdown and possible fire or explosion.

    3. Nearly all li-ion battery charging systems include safety checks, one of them is usually temperature. If the Pre's system has this then the charger would simply shut off when the battery exceeds the max temp specified and not come back on until the battery cools down below a given threshold. So, I'm thinking with regard to battery temp monitoring we could all be ringing our hands over nothing.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Any change to whatever supplies the default (if there really is such a thing) would be dangerous. Three thoughts...

    1. If there really is a default then why do some larger capacity batteries register correctly. It seems this alleged default is not a limiter.

    2. If changing said default threshold, which do you change it to? There are various larger capacity batteries so you would have to have a patch for each possibility. Then what if someone places a stock battery in a device patched to 2600. Now you have a very dangerous situation in which the charge circuit is continually applying voltage to a battery that is already full. Which could result in a meltdown and possible fire or explosion.

    3. Nearly all li-ion battery charging systems include safety checks, one of them is usually temperature. If the Pre's system has this then the charger would simply shut off when the battery exceeds the max temp specified and not come back on until the battery cools down below a given threshold. So, I'm thinking with regard to battery temp monitoring we could all be ringing our hands over nothing.
    Agreed, it could potentially be dangerous.
    1. Yes, it's not a limiter--it only kicks in when the battery doesn't tell what the capacity is. See the code somline posted.
    2. Yes, multiple patches for multiple capacities would be needed. But the Seidio 1350 is the only one that seems to potentially have an issue. A battery that provides the capacity and is lower than the default would still be safe. A battery that doesn't provide the capacity and is lower than the default would be less safe. But yes, I agree that increasing the default increases the risk of something going wrong.
    3. I'm personally not wringing my hands over my battery or cpu temperature. Nobody ever talked much about temperature on this site before we got into overclocking. And then, battery temperature was monitored because we had no way to look at cpu temperature at first. It's gonna get hot when you're navigating, streaming music, and charging all at the same time. I'm pretty confident that Palm designed the device not to explode or melt in just about any situation a user could possibly get himself into with a STOCK Pre, barring extremely rare faults. If overclocking, all bets are off.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17.    #97  
    I agree to not patching the kernel. I think it makes no sense only to get some mAh.
    The source is in the Palm patched part: linux-patch-pre-1.4.5.

    I really would like to see /var/log/messages of those with a Seido 2300/2600 battery.
    If someone likes to send me a copy (265117 (at) gmail.com)?
    Last edited by somline; 07/30/2010 at 09:33 AM.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm personally not wringing my hands over my battery or cpu temperature...... I'm pretty confident that Palm designed the device not to explode or melt in just about any situation a user could possibly get himself into with a STOCK Pre, barring extremely rare faults. If overclocking, all bets are off.
    Agreed, I haven't been either but we both have seen the "My Pre is running 40-44 is it going to melt on the TS overnight?" type questions.

    Yes, with regard to CPU temps to some degree. I have seen some posts that their CPU has shut down after getting too hot (running Nav, streaming music, on a dash mounted TS in a car... sun + windshield = HEAT). My guess is Palm built that failsafe in.

    On the battery of an OC'd device the Li-ion charging and protection circuits should be unaffected by OC. The worst that would happen IMHO is the protection circuits would kick in more often due to heat issues.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I agree to not patching the kernel. I think it makes no sense only to get some mAh.
    The source is in the Palm patched part: linux-patch-pre-1.4.5.
    (265117 (at) gmail.com)?
    Somline, do you think there would be a way to create a script to make the Pre run on A/C and bypass the battery circuits while plugged into the USB or on the TS? It wouldn't charge while activated, but it also wouldn't deplete or heat up. The radios would still generate heat under continued/heavy use but this would remove one other heat generator from the mix.

    Of course it would need to be switchable on and off. Manually at first and then maybe with screenstate type setting.

    Then even better... utilize the battery temp to create an automatic profile for this as well.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Somline, do you think there would be a way to create a script to make the Pre run on A/C and bypass the battery circuits while plugged into the USB or on the TS? It wouldn't charge while activated, but it also wouldn't deplete or heat up. The radios would still generate heat under continued/heavy use but this would remove one other heat generator from the mix.

    Of course it would need to be switchable on and off. Manually at first and then maybe with screenstate type setting.

    Then even better... utilize the battery temp to create an automatic profile for this as well.
    I already saw your post in streaming music. There could be a posibility I've found in the binary file powerd. Find my answer there.

    EDIT: Turns out that it is not possible/advisable to use the palm without battery.
    Last edited by somline; 08/10/2010 at 11:59 PM.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions