Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Thanks for reply Xanadu,
    1. As far as I followed, I think they patch the current when the battery is empty to get more time between LERNF on and shutdown to connect the charger. Some of us (wasn't it you too?) have still problems to get it charged before shutdown
    2. They change some values to a) charge a little more than normally b) to let the battery drain more before shutdown. In short: They try to get, and it sounds they already got it, e.g. 100mAh more out of the battery.
      EDIT: Read about 24h of moderate/heavy usage :-)

But as said. I have to play with it the next weeks.
    Count me in, I have a 70% capacity battery that would love to live a bit longer

We also need to check the lowest voltages we can use, Govnah can help with that, I can go up to 3v on my processor at 500Mhz, so the extra 200mV could help!

I now got a spare Pre Plus, I can help even more (at least until I unlock it and activate it and I sell my actual Pre)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  2.    #482  
    Thanks NuttyBunny, but I don't want that you fry another one ;-)
    BTW: Could you exchange the last one?
    Thanks NuttyBunny, but I don't want that you fry another one ;-)
    BTW: Could you exchange the last one?
    Nah, they never answered, but I'll buy a couple of the $3 Centro ones, they seem to run nicely, they're a bit aged (hold about 90%), but they're fine

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  4.    #484  
    Update on improving Dr.Battery:
    I tried the tweaks the XDA members are doing:

Reduce the active empty voltage VAE to e.g. 3.2V and bumping ACR to 200mAh
    WebOS seems to handle the shutdown differently than android. With android they are able to go to 3.2V and even lower by simulating a higher capacity bumping the ACR.
    WebOS seems to shutdown at voltage below 3.4V regardless of rest capacity.
    From the log:
    Code:
    BATTERY_IPC: (168.000000mAh, 14%, 14%_ui, 37C, -160mA, 3391mV, authentic) 
    CHG_LOGIC: Battery level is critical... sending shutdown warning
    As you can see by faking a capacity of 168mAh but a true voltage of 3.391V webOS shutsdown.

Reducing the IMIN min. current for charge terminate.
    I reduced it from orig. 55mA to 20mA and got 2% or 20mAh more capacity with my cheap 1150 battery. EDIT: This will charge the battery longer, squeezing more into it.
    Thats not much and I don't know if this reduces the life time of the battery. I'll make some more tests.

If you want to test the reducing of the IMIN value to get a little more mAh:

Commands
    default (55mA):
    echo 0x6516 > setreg

20mA:
    echo 0x6508 > setreg

Formula: mA / 2.5 = hexval
    Write down health before and do a calibration to find out the difference.
    Would be nice if you post your results.
    Last edited by somline; 12/29/2010 at 01:43 PM.
    If you want to test the reducing of the IMIN value to get a little more mAh:

Commands
    default:
    echo 0x6516 > setreg

20mA:
    echo 0x6508 > setreg

I'm game. I've got my crappy Palm battery in my Pre now. *unfortunately*, I've never calibrated it before. I need to do that first. Dr. Battery says that the Palm battery is reporting 98% health! HA! It's AT LEAST 1.5 years old. So I KNOW that's not correct. I do know it only lasts a few hours, but I don't know what percent it shuts off at (it shutdown in my holster the last time I used it).

Once I have this thing calibrated, I can start playing games with your idea(s).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    HA! It's AT LEAST 1.5 years old. So I KNOW that's not correct. I do know it only lasts a few hours, but I don't know what percent it shuts off at (it shutdown in my holster the last time I used it).

LOL! At 74% it dropped to 0%! HA!

It's plugged in and charging/calibrating now.

M.
  7.    #487  
    Nice battery ;-)
    Nice battery ;-)

It's a real gem!

M.

EDIT: I have it in airplane mode, so it *should* actually calibrate on the first try.
  9.    #489  
    LOL! At 74% it dropped to 0%! HA!
    If you get 49 or 50% we can't use it for the test, since it may not even have so "much" ;-)
    If you get 49 or 50% we can't use it for the test, since it may not even have so "much" ;-)

I thought that too. I think it's still worth trying because:

1. It's a piece of crap and I don't care if this ends up killing it.
    2. It's a piece of crap and dies fast - various tests can be run more frequently and faster.

That said, I agree with you 100%. It's not worth it and may not even prove/disprove anything. I'm still going to go forward and play with it anyway, though. You never know, I guess...

M.

You want 50%?

You got it!

Nice. :-)

Let the melting begin!

(yes, it did finish with a successful calibration - I didn't bother taking a shot of that since I wouldn't be typing this post if it had not... )

M.
  12.    #492  
    Congrats ;-) We'll see if reducing IMIN gives you more. But I don't expect it.
    Congrats ;-) We'll see if reducing IMIN gives you more. But I don't expect it.
    Sorry, somline. I should've added that in. I have echoed the 20mA value into setreg after the calibration. Yeah, I don't expect to see an improvement worth anything, but, even if it goes up just a few percent, that leaves hope for (much?) more with a good/healthy battery.

It's better to see a few percent in a crappy battery than it is to burn up and good one for these kinds of tests!

M.

P.S.
    It's been bugging me for a while now: How do you (as in you being a German over in Germany^W Deutschland) pronounce your nick?
  14.    #494  
    P.S.
    It's been bugging me for a while now: How do you (as in you being a German over in Germany^W Deutschland) pronounce your nick?
    How to write how to pronounce? But you can do it like you want ;-)
    It's a combination of my family name sommer (summer in english) and online.
    How to write how to pronounce? But you can do it like you want ;-)
    It's a combination of my family name sommer (summer in english) and online.

Interesting! That's actually how I've been pronouncing it... :-) Thanks, man!

M.
  16.    #496  
    As you probably know health can not go below 49/50%. I assume you have in fact around 25% (drop from 74).
    So if you get 2% more now you're still below 50%.
    It's a good idea to use an "old" battery for these tests. But this might be "to old" ;-)
    As you probably know health can not go below 49/50%. I assume you have in fact around 25% (drop from 74).
    So if you get 2% more now you're still below 50%.
    It's a good idea to use an "old" battery for these tests. But this might be "to old" ;-)

It seems you may be more correct than you think! I started running my Palm stock battery down again. It hit 40% and did the Death Drop! I can't explain why it didn't "correctly" or "fully" calibrate earlier, but, it's running another calibration now (with the 20mA hack). I will post back when it's done.

I think that you are correct and that using this battery for this testing will present us with worthless results.

I guess I can use my Seidio for this testing. I have an Amzer 2800mAh (really about 2500mAh) as a backup if the Seidio dies from this. I was going to be getting a Mugen 1400mAh soon anyway.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 12/29/2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos
    It seems you may be more correct than you think! I started running my Palm stock battery down again. It hit 40% and did the Death Drop! I can't explain why it didn't "correctly" or "fully" calibrate earlier, but, it's running another calibration now (with the 20mA hack).

I haven't gotten my Palm stock battery to successfully recalibrate. I haven't been able to try it in airplane mode because I needed my phone online last night (my Son was going somewhere with a couple friends and I wanted my phone online in case of emergency). I can try yet again, but I think I'm just wasting my time. I think I'll just get a Mugen and make my Seidio be the Guinea Pig. I'll run my Seidio down to get a fresh calibration on it and go from there.

M.
  19.    #499  
    I haven't gotten my Palm stock battery to successfully recalibrate. I haven't been able to try it in airplane mode because I needed my phone online last night (my Son was going somewhere with a couple friends and I wanted my phone online in case of emergency). I can try yet again, but I think I'm just wasting my time. I think I'll just get a Mugen and make my Seidio be the Guinea Pig. I'll run my Seidio down to get a fresh calibration on it and go from there.

M.
    Thanks anyway. There are more important things in the world than getting 20mAh more ;-)
    You may wait for my results with a healthy Palm battery tonight.
    Ok, so this is post 500 on THIS thread. Forgive me, I have just spent over 2 hours reading and after looking at these threads I found that the 1350 was at one point correctly charged and the "do not buy" thread is still in effect. I have a 1350 from my centro (reads about 1150) and would like to know if the Dr. will or will not correct the reading (v 0.1.2) and if you still boycotting Seidio. BTW, I have doubled my knowledge about programming from this thread. That's 100 percent increase!!