Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526 LastLast
  1.    #461  
    @My friends
    I finished the port of the service to C. I used the code of preware and save/restore to do so.
    Thanks to Rod Whitby I was able include the sources into the WebOS Internals git repository.
    The sources can be found here.
    Version is now available in the webos internals feed.
    Because of the C port I unfortunately could not build the new "Details Scene" with all Register Infos of the battery.
    This is the change log off the new version:

Health Scene
    -Tap and hold to change the health value
    -Tap and hold to change the Manufacturer Rating (needs secret code to enable)
    Calibrate Scene
    -Changing the calibration start voltage possible in appmenu
    -Fixed bug alert connect charger now doesn't disappear
    Service
    -Rewritten in C and bundled with the app
    -All battery values read from the registers instead of driver files
    -Bug in SetManufacturer Rating fixed

EDIT: The new version is using "dumpreg" and "setreg" only. All the translation from register to readable values is done now by the service. I'm not using e.g. "getage","getcurrent"... any more. I Included the changing of the MFR but to use it you need some "info" from me. As discussed this is done to prevent "unexperienced" users from doing mistakes.

If someone wants to help for the next version please let me know.
    As a first step I think I need 4 images (icons) for the bottom menu since the text e.g. "Calibrate" needs to much space for the fourth button "Details".

EDIT2: I also started a wiki page of how the battery works here. Please fell free to complete this page.
    Last edited by somline; 09/20/2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Don't worry they are cheap. You can also use the Centro's.
    It's not discharging faster. That's not possible. It just tells you the truth.
    Just wanted to let you know I went to the store today and they tested my battery and told me it was "short", whatever that means, and they ended up giving me a new battery, works much better now!
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
  3.    #463  
    I had again contact with android in this thread@xda-developers.com
    They posted 2 documents I haven't seen before.
    Storing Fuel Gauge Parameters in the DS2784 - http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN4043.pdf
    Lithium-Ion Cell Fuel Gauging with Maxim Battery Monitor ICs - http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN131.pdf
    I have to read them. Looks very interesting.
    So i'm getting the 'drift' that Mugen is the only truly honest battery manufacturer for Palm right now. I've been through all of the different batteries I have purchased on eBay over the last 6 months and they are all crap! Nowhere near stated capacities. If I purchase another batt it will be a Mugen 1400...
    Hey somline, I got my new battery ($3USD, a Centro one, manufacture rated as 1183mAh, calculated 99% - 1171mAh), and it works quite well, but I've been unable to calibrate it. It seems I'm getting the same error I've read somewhere in the thread, the voltage fluctuates too much when it's low on charge.

Picture this (not real voltages, I don't have them, but they're approximate):
    * I disconnect my phone and let it discharge
    * It gets to 0% and about 3.5v
    * It continues to drop
    * It gets to 3.4v (I think about 3.9x), and asks for the charger
    - If I don't connect the charger, sometimes it "thinks" it has the charger plugged, and "begins" to calibrate... after a couple of seconds it gives the "charging interrupted" error (and I never plugged it in).
    - If I connect the charger, if I'm lucky, it begins calibrating (sometimes it shuts down, but I charge it for a little while and try again)... But after a while it stops with the charging interrupted error. It has happened several times and I've been unable to complete a full cycle. How we can debug this?

Btw, this battery can run for 8-10 hours with moderate use (some sms, about 45 minutes of browsing), and 30 minutes of angry birds. I don't understand how I could manage to cope with my stock "dead" battery (50% capacity).
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  6.    #466  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Hey somline, I got my new battery ($3USD, a Centro one, manufacture rated as 1183mAh, calculated 99% - 1171mAh), and it works quite well, but I've been unable to calibrate it. It seems I'm getting the same error I've read somewhere in the thread, the voltage fluctuates too much when it's low on charge.

Picture this (not real voltages, I don't have them, but they're approximate):
    * I disconnect my phone and let it discharge
    * It gets to 0% and about 3.5v
    * It continues to drop
    * It gets to 3.4v (I think about 3.9x), and asks for the charger
    - If I don't connect the charger, sometimes it "thinks" it has the charger plugged, and "begins" to calibrate... after a couple of seconds it gives the "charging interrupted" error (and I never plugged it in).
    - If I connect the charger, if I'm lucky, it begins calibrating (sometimes it shuts down, but I charge it for a little while and try again)... But after a while it stops with the charging interrupted error. It has happened several times and I've been unable to complete a full cycle. How we can debug this?

Btw, this battery can run for 8-10 hours with moderate use (some sms, about 45 minutes of browsing), and 30 minutes of angry birds. I don't understand how I could manage to cope with my stock "dead" battery (50% capacity).
    Thanks for detailed diagnosis. I think I found the bug of "thinking" calibrate begins.
    But this is only the message you see, it's not calibrating. If you connect the charger in that state it should work.
    I still have no answer to the other problem. As you may know Trekker found out to put it in airplane mode helps. As you also know this is completely done by the chip.
    The app has no influence on it. Please try again in airplane mode.
    The message "interrupted" will be shown when the learn flag switched off and the ChargeTermination Flag is not switched on. This is how it's documented in the manual.
    Hey somline, I got my new battery ($3USD, a Centro one, manufacture rated as 1183mAh, calculated 99% - 1171mAh), and it works quite well, but I've been unable to calibrate it.
    I'm curious why you would want to calibrate the battery at this time? If it's new (not used) and its health is 99% and you aren't having any problems with it, why calibrate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I'm curious why you would want to calibrate the battery at this time? If it's new (not used) and its health is 99% and you aren't having any problems with it, why calibrate?
    Went from 14% to 0, but only once.

I'll follow your implicit suggestion and continue using it. If it giving me trouble, I'll recalibrate, not before

I don't want to lose this one too!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Went from 14% to 0, but only once.
    Ok...that makes sense, I'd try re-calibrating it too, if mine did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Ok...that makes sense, I'd try re-calibrating it too, if mine did that.
    The weird thing is, it only did it once, in the first charge (not full btw), but after the first full charge it hasn't did it, so, I'll keep using it w/o calibrating.

11.    #471  
    Just got my Mugen 1400.
    Interesting so far:
    PORF and UVF where switched on. Now cleared by Dr.Battery.
    Charging current is very high around 720mAh @ 50%.
    My orig palm and the cheap one had around 450mAh charging current.
    I expect higher temperature at such current.

EDIT: MFR 1463 @ 100% health ;-)
  12.    #472  
    Update:
    Temperatur was actual low 30C. Charged to 1400mAh. Looks promising.
    Update:
    Temperatur was actual low 30C. Charged to 1400mAh. Looks promising.

I'm already looking!

M.
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I will make the mugen suggested training of the battery (4-5 charge circles) and then calibrate. I'll inform you about the results (4-5 days).
    Just got my Mugen 1400.
    Interesting so far:
    PORF and UVF where switched on.
    I noticed that with my Mugen the very first time I used Dr. Battery. At some point they got switched off.

EDIT: MFR 1463 @ 100% health ;-)
    Looks good!
  16.    #476  
    After the first charge it went smoothly to 0%.
    I didn't follow my own rules and calibrated the mugen 1400 in the second chargecircle (since the suggested charge is almost the same as a calibrate):
    (I just couldn't wait ;-)

95% of 1463mAh = 1389,85mAh

I resetted health back to 100 and will do the next 3 charge circles as suggested by mugen.

EDIT: I forgot there is a Mugen 1400 thread already. I will post the rest of the story there.
    Last edited by somline; 09/30/2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    just wanted to inform that the seidio 2600mah battery is only a 2300.
    after setting the manufacturer rating to 2600, after calibrating it tells about 82% health which is again just 2300mah.
    when setting the rating to 2300, it reports a health of about 100%.

continuous loading to 2600mah will result in an 15 to 0 drop.

eric
  18.    #478  
    My friends from my old thread.
    To all interested on improving Dr.Battery.

My friends at xda developers finally got the calibration on their batteries (with a little help from us ;-).
    Not only that, they are pushing the things further by changing the programming of the chip to squeeze out more of the battery.

So if your'e interested please take a look. I will make some tests during the next weeks.

Please let me know what you think after reading at least the first one and last 3 pages on this thread.
    Last edited by somline; 12/10/2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Please let me know what you think after reading at least the first one and last 3 pages on this thread.
    I find the part in the directions about having to keep current draw ABOVE 200mAh for it to trigger "learn" very interesting. I can't sit and say that I've ever actually watched the current raw, so I don't know what it says, but it would seem that's what I've done in the past. I usually have a ton of stuff open (big browser pages, streaming audio from my ampache "server", LED flashlight on, etc.) so it sure was WAY above 200mAh.

Aside, and a question for you somline, what are they doing that you already aren't? Everything looks basically the same (with ignoring the difference in voltages and stuff).

M.
  20.    #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Aside, and a question for you somline, what are they doing that you already aren't? Everything looks basically the same (with ignoring the difference in voltages and stuff).
    Thanks for reply Xanadu,
    1. As far as I followed, I think they patch the current when the battery is empty to get more time between LERNF on and shutdown to connect the charger. Some of us (wasn't it you too?) have still problems to get it charged before shutdown
    2. They change some values to a) charge a little more than normally b) to let the battery drain more before shutdown. In short: They try to get, and it sounds they already got it, e.g. 100mAh more out of the battery.
      EDIT: Read about 24h of moderate/heavy usage :-)

But as said. I have to play with it the next weeks.
    Last edited by somline; 12/10/2010 at 12:31 PM.