Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Waiting for the learnflag ;-)

WHOO HOO!!

I hit 18% and it did NOT Death Drop. Your script told me to plug it in and I had PLENTY of time to do it!

M.

EDIT:
    I mean it sucks that it happened at 18% still after all these tries, but, at least now I have the chance to do this right.
  2.    #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

I hit 18% and it did NOT Death Drop. Your script told me to plug it in and I had PLENTY of time to do it!

M.

EDIT:
    I mean it sucks that it happened at 18% still after all these tries, but, at least now I have the chance to do this right.
    Funny my battery did it at the same time.
    Another finding approved ;-)
    Weird, my batt seems to be charging more than it was expected... 4060mv, 2561mAh, and it was supposed to be a 2300mAh one...
    and it still haven't finished charging
    *****'EN overcharge protection! I forgot to disable it! :@
    Well, I guess I'll try again tomorrow
    That's it for today
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Hello this is my first post and I'm a new Palm Pre user. Just switched over to Sprint. I was very excited with my Pre when it arrived and thought it was a great phone. However the battery life was so poor it made me start to dislike the phone. I purchased the Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery and it saved my life. The best $70 I ever spent. I go 2-3 days without needing a charge with heavy usage.

Just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    So, somline and xanadu, are you guys saying with the new flag settings that maybe we can take the fake 1350 mAh batteries up to 1350 now? I was gone for a while again and not sure I followed this discussion completely.
  7.    #387  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    So, somline and xanadu, are you guys saying with the new flag settings that maybe we can take the fake 1350 mAh batteries up to 1350 now? I was gone for a while again and not sure I followed this discussion completely.
    I'm afraid: NO. We can't change what they build into the battery.
    But it looks like we have now a stable way to recalibrate.
    You can try my script by setting the FULL40 to what is already printed on your battery (you can even set it to a higher number without danger).
    Then after calibrate the well known formula gives you very precisely what your battery can hold.
    It would be possible that a fake 1350mAh is not a relabeled 1150 and can hold a little bit more then 1150. Then you can get this extra with this method.
    NuttyBunny had such cheap 2300mAh (I never heard of) and is posting his results here.

I will test some other ways to go around the "over charge" check of webOS without changing the powerd.conf (the last missing piece).
    If this is done I will release my app. So hopefully no more hexvalues to setreg necessary (I will miss that fun ;-).
  8.    #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by yarg View Post
    Hello this is my first post and I'm a new Palm Pre user. Just switched over to Sprint. I was very excited with my Pre when it arrived and thought it was a great phone. However the battery life was so poor it made me start to dislike the phone. I purchased the Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery and it saved my life. The best $70 I ever spent. I go 2-3 days without needing a charge with heavy usage.

Just my 2 cents.
    Welcome on board.
    For us the pre/pixi is not just a (smart) phone. It's a toy. We not just want to use it, we want to look behind the scene and find out what else you can do with it, how far you can tune it. This is real fun for us. It's a hobby.
    And if you are using preware you already know what fantastic solutions the developers came up with developed in their spare time for no money.
    And if your 70$ battery lets the pre die at 20% rest capacity in 1/2 year you're glad there is an app for it (or you just buy a new one) ;-)
    Thanks for your 2 cents and be careful to not fall in the same addiction we already have.
    Mine is 1191.121

It's not so bad
  10.    #390  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    *****'EN overcharge protection! I forgot to disable it! :@
    Well, I guess I'll try again tomorrow
    That's it for today
    NuttyBunny can you please try to let the over charge untouched in the powerd.conf and instead set the FULL40 to a higher value?

Say the over charge happened at 95% (find the last entry in messages before the jump to 100%). Then set the full40 to
    Code:
    <your full40> + (100-95=)5% + 5%reserve
    This is my idea to prevent webOS for terminating the overcharge without editing powerd.conf. The overcharge means in my opinion that your battery can hold more then what is in full40.
    The oposit is true for the 20drop0 problem. If it happens at say 20% you have 20% less capacity then full40 is reporting.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry it didn't worked out yesterday.
  11.    #391  
    Help needed for the InfoPages within the upcoming "Battery analyzing and recalibration app" i build.

As you know I'm not native english and so my english is probably kind of childish ;-)
    I have wrote some text (in my english) and needs someone how can translate it in proper english.
    EDIT JP99 is already doing it. Thanks JP99.

BTW: I need to take care of my father this weekend. So unfortunately the app will not available before the weekend after. I need to do much more testing especially with the new findings we made. I really hope to get it done until next weekend.

Thanks in advance
    somline
    Last edited by somline; 08/27/2010 at 12:17 PM.
    1164 very nice
    Although my plus is only 3 1/2 months old ha.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    NuttyBunny can you please try to let the over charge untouched in the powerd.conf and instead set the FULL40 to a higher value?

Say the over charge happened at 95% (find the last entry in messages before the jump to 100%). Then set the full40 to
    Code:
    <your full40> + (100-95=)5% + 5%reserve
    This is my idea to prevent webOS for terminating the overcharge without editing powerd.conf. The overcharge means in my opinion that your battery can hold more then what is in full40.
    The oposit is true for the 20drop0 problem. If it happens at say 20% you have 20% less capacity then full40 is reporting.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry it didn't worked out yesterday.
    I'll try to put it at 2600 as it stopped charging near that, but I won't be able to test it for a few hours, I'm moving around offices and can't let my Pre do a full discharge-charge cycle right now
  14.    #394  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I'll try to put it at 2600 as it stopped charging near that, but I won't be able to test it for a few hours, I'm moving around offices and can't let my Pre do a full discharge-charge cycle right now
    I forgot you're using the 2600. It's not so good to to so many full drains. I will try with my cheap new one then. Thanks.
    I forgot you're using the 2600. It's not so good to to so many full drains. I will try with my cheap new one then. Thanks.
    Well, no, it was sold as a 2300mAh, that's why I set the registers to 2300 earlier, but it charged even more, so, right now I'm in the position of calibrating again.

I'll set it to 2600 and try charging... maybe I got a cheap 2600mAh battery advertised as a 2300mAh (and registered as a 1150mAh). I think I'll go get some lottery tickets!
    Ok, there's something weird around here.

I changed the battery registers to 2600mAh (it's advertised as 2300mAh, came with the registers set at 1150), I set the VAE to 3432mv, and did NOT disable Palm's overcharge setting as suggested by somline.

I began charging, and this is what I got:

Stopped charging at 4055mV, 100%, but with a capacity of 3076.80mAh. Last time I got about 2500mAh. I really don't what's going on here, it's weird. I don't want to think that I'm overcharging my battery and that this isn't working, but 3076mAh, it can't be real.

I'll do a last time at night, I'll drop it again to 0, disable overcharge protection from Palm, and calibrate again (rating 2600mAh), and see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  17.    #397  
    You still have the UVF (Under Voltage Flag) set (STAT=0x07 in screenshot PORV is also set). I would clear it. I also did clear the PORV flag but actual down't know at this time what exactly it is for.
    New Palm batteries have both flags cleared (just got my new replacement from palm).
    These two registers are the only one you can reset in the status register. You can't set them back to 1 only clear them to 0.

EDIT: And as I said before, I had the feeling my old battery did much better work after that.
    EDIT2: What is in the /var/log/messages?
    Last edited by somline; 08/27/2010 at 05:27 PM.
    I had nothing in /var/log/messages because I set my logging to minomal. Right now I'm in the process of doing the last cycle for the day.

I also set my logging to the standard values to see if I get something, and set my UVF and PORV flags to 0.

We'll see what happens. I still have 3572mv at 1%... Grrr
    Ok, this is really odd.
    I tried to calibrate yesterday, the thing tried to charge to top, and ended up saying it was holding about 3200mAh, even if it didn't get to charge 4200v (I stopped it at about 4150v), it was going nuts.

Now, it's way off the chart... it lasted about 3 hours at 100%, and then at 60% it shutdown
    damn.

I'll put it again to 2300, and try it again... it was too good to be true... yeah, a 2600mAh battery rated as 2300... everything was great when I had it charging 2250mAh
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    For anyone who's having battery problems and is on Verizon:

I went in to Verizon the other day and asked for a battery replacement. I was pretty sure they'd say no or hassle me. And in reality, that might be reasonable since my getage was still at 83. I just felt that after having a device for only five months, I shouldn't have seen that much degradation in battery life.

To my surprise, I met no resistance at all. Once the lady verified I was within my warranty period, the only question was whether they had any batteries in stock. And they did, so now I've got a new battery. I like seeing the 100.00 when I cat getage.

Your mileage may vary ....