Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Just to clarify, when I said my battery charged all the way to 1350mAh, I mean it did it *properly*. It did not jump from ~82% --> 100%. It charged the whole way through. The script did not show "charging interupted" as it usually did.
    M.
    That sounds really good. Please post your result of the "20% sudden death".
    So what do you think did the trick to the full charge?
    Was it the setting age to 100% or the disable_overcharge?
    I really don't think that the disable_overcharge will help at all.

Working an right now.

Why, then, are you supposed to drain the battery down completely 4 or 5 times when it's new?
    I'm using mugen 1400mAH for around 2 months. Getfull40=1363. Getage=99%.
    so far no real issue with the battery. The only question still in my mind is why when I charge my Pre plus using TS, need quite long time to reach 100%. Usually when the battery reach 99%, TS seems stop charging, even pre still in charging condition. Let the battery drain to 95%, then TS back to charge again to 99%, and then stop again. This cycle occurred several times before the battery reach 100%. And because of this, charging process need quite long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I can't honestly say, but, I think it was a combination of the two.

I have already tried 0x1480 a few times now, but, webOS always cut it off at ~82%. With disable_overcharge_check that stops powerd from doing it's own math and allows the battery to do what it wants. Since I (we!) told the battery 0x1480, it was allowed to then go ahead and do that reguardless of what the OS thought it should be doing.

Bottom line is: I, personally, think it was both. I'm on 62% display (57% actual) right now. I hope to be able to hit the Self-Nuke point tonight.

As far as Dr. Battery goes, it brought an instant smile to my face! I'll hold off asking questions about the buttons at the bottom until there's a package out there to test. So far: good job!

Thank you for everything thus far, somline!

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 08/22/2010 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    The only question still in my mind is why when I charge my Pre plus using TS, need quite long time to reach 100%. Usually when the battery reach 99%, TS seems stop charging

Are you using the "Show actual percent" patch? If so, that's why you see that. What you're seeing is quite normal for a battery since its full capacity lowers over time. webOS *displays* a more "reasonable" number than what the battery itself is actually at.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 08/22/2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Why, then, are you supposed to drain the battery down completely 4 or 5 times when it's new?

So the chip in the battery pack can calibrate itself.

M.
    So the chip in the battery pack can calibrate itself.

M.
    So once that's done, it's best for the battery to keep it topped off?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)

Working an right now.

I must have missed something. Are you working on an app to handle this recalibration? If so, that's totally awesome!!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Howdy,

Is there a way to disable the Pre's automatically shutting down when out of battery?

I ask because I spent a while last night trying to get my battery (mugen 1400mah) in calibration mode using bcm.sh

I tried several times, and each time I would plug in the USB charger within a second or so of the "start charging now chime".

One time I was just far too late, but the other two times I saw the script output "calibrating battery dont interrupt charge," right before the system shutdown notice and the screen going blank.

Thanks!
  10.    #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Howdy,

Is there a way to disable the Pre's automatically shutting down when out of battery?

I ask because I spent a while last night trying to get my battery (mugen 1400mah) in calibration mode using bcm.sh

I tried several times, and each time I would plug in the USB charger within a second or so of the "start charging now chime".

One time I was just far too late, but the other two times I saw the script output "calibrating battery dont interrupt charge," right before the system shutdown notice and the screen going blank.

Thanks!
    We don't have the solution yet.
    The best we have is this from Xanadu74

EDIT: If you are using ssh there is a way. PM me for that.
    My big Amzer 2800mAh battery has some issues, though. It thinks it's only a 2400mAh, so I need to play with that one too, but, I'm concentrating on my 1350mAh Seido right now. What would the hex value be for 2800mAh?

M.
    I just got a big Amzer as well.

2800 * 3.2 = 8960 = 2300 hex
    Are you using the "Show actual percent" patch? If so, that's why you see that. What you're seeing is quite normal for a battery since its full capacity lowers over time. webOS *displays* a more "reasonable" number than what the battery itself is actually at.

M.

Yes I using "Show actual percent" patch. so what patch can show more accurate percentage?
  13.    #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Yes I using "Show actual percent" patch. so what patch can show more accurate percentage?
    Independent of the "patch" you are using: All info relies on the "age estimating" of the chip inside your battery. The only way to get accurate info (I know of) is recalibrating the battery. And this is what we working at.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

Working an right now.

Is this dr battery a homebrew that is out there? if so where do i get it from??
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Is this dr battery a homebrew that is out there? if so where do i get it from??
    No, I'm working on it. Hopefully a first version will be there by end of this week.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    No, I'm working on it. Hopefully a first version will be there by end of this week.
    Awesome man, your doing a fantastic job here!
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I changed the getage to 100 on Friday and rebooted my phone, although I don't recall pulling the battery.

Saturday proved to be a great day, with my Pre sipping power at about 2.7% per hour all day and into Sat night. I left it off the charger on purpose and on Sunday AM, I seemed to have ~22% left. Woo Hoo! I said to myself, This is really going to work!

Then, as I was reading Twitter and doing some other things for about an hour, I watched the power go from 14% to "0% the phone will shutdown soon". I placed it on the TS to get a bit of juice, the activated BCM.sh in the Terminal app.

The phone charged for a couple of hours, and it got up to 86% before the script announced that it was complete and my battery % shot to 100%.

As seen in the attachment, my getage went back down to 85%. And my battery monitor reported avg 9% drain pre hour Sunday.

I'll keep messing with this, after I've patched my phone from here to Kingdom Come, it's good to try to tweak something else!

Edit: It seems the battery did gain about 2% (2.38125% exactly) on the getage adjustment from my previous post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> iPhone 4s (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I can't honestly say, but, I think it was a combination of the two.

I have already tried 0x1480 a few times now, but, webOS always cut it off at ~82%. With disable_overcharge_check that stops powerd from doing it's own math and allows the battery to do what it wants. Since I (we!) told the battery 0x1480, it was allowed to then go ahead and do that reguardless of what the OS thought it should be doing.

Bottom line is: I, personally, think it was both. I'm on 62% display (57% actual) right now. I hope to be able to hit the Self-Nuke point tonight.

M.
    So how did your battery work as you headed toward 0%? Did you smoothly discharge, or jump from around 17-18% to zero fast? That will tell if you actually gained capacity or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I just got a big Amzer as well.

2800 * 3.2 = 8960 = 2300 hex

Thank you!

Is yours reporting the full amount, or just 2400mAh like mine?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    So how did your battery work as you headed toward 0%? Did you smoothly discharge, or jump from around 17-18% to zero fast? That will tell if you actually gained capacity or not.

Unfortunately, I can't really say.

It did jump from ~13% --> 0%. It only gave me about 3 seconds to plug it in before it shut down on its own. This happened five times! I let it charge enough to get it to turn back on, unplug it, let it drain down and was only getting LESS THAN three seconds to plug it in before shutdown. More like 1.5 seconds. Seriously. So, I did finally manage to get it plugged in before shutting down. It did jump from ~85% --> 100% BUT I don't think this was a really good test since it did the whole shutdown thing several times.

I hope to get a better test tonight and will report back.

M.