Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    dang sorry!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Congrats NuttyBunny,
    what was your initial problem? Why did you recalibrate? What is the result (what values have changed)?
    Can you please give us a short explanation?
    For those who don't know, I have one of the cheap 2300mAh batteries.
    Well, initially I had the problem most people have, shutting down from about 20%, but I also had the "issue" that my Pre stayed for quite some time at 100%.

After a little research I found out that my batt was reported as a 1150mAh one, not really nice. Also as I read more and more I became aware that my batt wasn't fully charging (the Pre overcharge limiter was on).

As I tried to calibrate with your script for the first time it got to 100%, but not reaching 4.2v (on discharge it also got to 0% but not 3.4v on time, it was a nightmare. I had to set the full40 value to 2300mAh because even with the overcharge limiter disable it wouldn't reach 4.2v (weird).

At last I could make my batt drop to less that 3.4v and charge it on time to the learning bit to be set and that it could charge.

It charged for nearly 3 hours to reach 4.201v.

At last it worked, but as I said previously, I got 2265mAh capacity, and the Pre reports 660.196 (mAh).

Thanks!, I hope this serves other people

Update: Attached is the calibration result
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 08/18/2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    First off, thanks to Somline for gathering and posting the information in the original post. Very eye-opening.

I have a question about what to expect after running the script. Here's my situation: When I read your post, I checked the capacity stats of my battery, and got: getfull40 = 1183.125, getage = 82.8125, getcapacity = 979.296. I had been seeing the same symptoms as others: sudden capacity drops from 20% to 0%, and the capacity staying at 100% or 0% for extended periods. So I ran the script.

The script finished successfully, but the stats did not change at all. Is that to be expected? Can I expect that the incorrect percentage reporting will stop now that I've run the script?
  4.    #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    First off, thanks to Somline for gathering and posting the information in the original post. Very eye-opening.

I have a question about what to expect after running the script. Here's my situation: When I read your post, I checked the capacity stats of my battery, and got: getfull40 = 1183.125, getage = 82.8125, getcapacity = 979.296. I had been seeing the same symptoms as others: sudden capacity drops from 20% to 0%, and the capacity staying at 100% or 0% for extended periods. So I ran the script.

The script finished successfully, but the stats did not change at all. Is that to be expected? Can I expect that the incorrect percentage reporting will stop now that I've run the script?
    Do you have a standard battery rated 1150?
    Does successful mean you discharged until the script told you to connect the charger.
    And finally after some time the script told you: "calibrate successfully finished"?
    If this all is the case it would mean your battery already told you the "truth" before.
    Then I don't know why you get this problem (dropping from 20 to 0).

EDIT: To answer your question:
    getage should have been recalculated to a different % to reflect the real capacity of your battery.
    EDIT2: And when getage changed getcapacity will change!

BUT if you have a higher rated battery:
    Reading NuttyBunny's very interesting Post: it's advised you set full40 to the rated capacity of your battery. His story sounds like what you are talking about.
    Last edited by somline; 08/18/2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Now when I ssay moderate usage, I mean
    * bluetooth on
    * MusicPlayer on (and off -- I'm usually at work)
    * Occassional texts/Tweed
    * email checks every 2 hours

Sometimes, over weekends, my battery will start at about 100%, but 4 - 6 hours later I look at the percentage and it's anywhere from 35 to 65%. That's with hardly any usage.
    Oher "symptoms" -
    Some mornings the phone is not at 100% after being on the Touchstone all night.
    While in an app, I can watch watch the battery percent go down in 2% increments

I ran the script and got the following result

Code:
    ----------------------------------------
    Voltage Perc. Drain  Capacity  Tmp Stat
    4143mV  95%    -5mA  907.20mAh 47C 0x01
    ERROR: calibrate interrupted

your battery capacity:
    ------------------------------------
     INIT[mAh]     AGE[%]   CAPACITY[mAh]
      1150.000   83.59375         961.328
    The age is the approximately the same as it was earlier today after Precentral tweeted this thread.

My concern is that the Pre reports calibration interrupted, but it wasn't due to me removing the Pre from the charger. Could I be suffering from "chargus limitus"?

Edit 1:
    After the script quit, I left the battery on the charger. At first the batt% stayed at 95%. Then it went down to 94% (no usage, on TS). Then it started creeping back up until it's finally at 100%. I edited the powerd.conf file [disable_overcharge_check = true] and I'm going to reboot tonight. Then see if I can successfully recalibrate tomorrow.
    Last edited by serqet; 08/18/2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> iPhone 4s (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Ya know, on the VERY FIRST POST he linked to the .PDF of the chip's specs...

M.
    Interesting... maybe I was under ten posts back when I started reading this thread. NEway, thanks.
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by serqet View Post
    I edited the powerd.conf file [disable_overcharge_check = true] and I'm going to reboot tonight. Then see if I can successfully recalibrate tomorrow.
    You also could try setting age to 100%.
    Code:
    cd /sys/devices/w1*/32-*
    echo 0x1480 > setreg
    Last edited by somline; 08/19/2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Do you have a standard battery rated 1150?
    Yes, it's a standard battery.

Does successful mean you discharged until the script told you to connect the charger. And finally after some time the script told you: "calibrate successfully finished"? If this all is the case it would mean your battery already told you the "truth" before. Then I don't know why you get this problem (dropping from 20 to 0).

EDIT: To answer your question:
    getage should have been recalculated to a different % to reflect the real capacity of your battery.
    Yes and yes connected the charger at about 3330mV, calibrate finished and reported successfully.

So then, based on your response, nothing should change. Interestingly, it looks like I'm getting longer battery life AND more reliable reporting since calibrating. For the past several days, the phone wouldn't go more than a few hours without the battery getting very low. But that isn't happening now. I'll report back after giving it a few more days.

Wait -- come to think of it, I can't really claim the reporting is more reliable now, since the battery hasn't got near 20% all day. So let's just say, I'm getting longer battery life.

Thanks!
  9.    #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Wait -- come to think of it, I can't really claim the reporting is more reliable now, since the battery hasn't got near 20% all day. So let's just say, I'm getting longer battery life.
    Magical. Hopefully your 20drop0 problem is gone as well. I have no explanation for it.
    Last edited by somline; 08/19/2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I wonder why PreCentral hasn't done an article about this yet?
    I wish they would too - but there may be legal issues they have to check. Getting sued is no fun.
    Hi,

Sorry if I missed this but I just found this link and went a few pages into it and did not see this discussed. I have Internalz and when I put my finger on getage I can either choose Info...Open...Copy. Info just gives me the path and size and I get an error message with Open. it says no handler for .....

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    Hi,
    I have Internalz and when I put my finger on getage I can either choose Info...Open...Copy. Info just gives me the path and size and I get an error message with Open. it says no handler for .....
    Thanks for your help.
    Newest version?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    EDIT: you can interrupt the script with <ctrl>c (red button c in terminal) at anytime and restart at any time.
    If it doesn't stop open another shell and: killall sh
    Somline, sym + c sends the control-c to the terminal window. I needed to use it today.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> iPhone 4s (Sprint)
    [cross-posting from my post in the other thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ll-1350-a.html ]

Just for comparison purposes, here is some data from my batteries:

* Amzer 1400mAh
    - getfull40: 1283.125
    - getage: 86.71875

* Newly purchased Mugen 1400mAh #1
    - getfull40: 1463.125
    - getage: 100.00000

* Newly purchased Mugen 1400mAh #1
    - getfull40: 1463.125
    - getage: 100.00000
  15.    #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by serqet View Post
    Somline, sym + c sends the control-c to the terminal window. I needed to use it today.
    Thanks I corrected it. Don't use terminal much. I use ssh.
    Hey!

I thought I'd check in with my latest findings, even though I haven't been able to properly test yet.

I :

• Added the line "disable_overcharge_check = true" to /var/preferences/com.palm.power/powerd.conf
    • echo 0x1480 > /sys/devices/w1*/32*/setreg
    • Rebooted (I could've just stopped and started the power service)
    • Plugged my Pre in

BINGO!

My battery charged all the way to 1350mAh! It's acting like it really is holding that higher charge because by the time I was way to tired to watch my % drop last night, it was still on 45%. I made this change and charge at around noon yesterday. It was Midnight and still wasn't anywhere near dead!

I say this test in "incomplete" because I do not know what happens at ~18% yet. I hope to find this out today and I will re-run your script and get a screen shot and all that.

I just thought I'd stop by and tell everyone where I'm at so far and that there is (potentially) hope.

My big Amzer 2800mAh battery has some issues, though. It thinks it's only a 2400mAh, so I need to play with that one too, but, I'm concentrating on my 1350mAh Seido right now. What would the hex value be for 2800mAh?

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 08/22/2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Just got around to checking my original 14 month old battery:

getfull40 = 1183.125
    getage = 94.53125

1183.125 * 94.53125 / 100 = 1117.944

getcapacity = 1118.4228

Looks like my battery is okay for a while longer.

Thanks, somline, for all your work.
    Just to clarify, when I said my battery charged all the way to 1350mAh, I mean it did it *properly*. It did not jump from ~82% --> 100%. It charged the whole way through. The script did not show "charging interupted" as it usually did.

M.
    My Mugan 1400 at 3 months of age is 1331.23 (original is 1363.125).

Is that pretty much average/expected performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    My Mugan 1400 at 3 months of age is 1331.23 (original is 1363.125).

Is that pretty much average/expected performance?
    Many variables are involved in battery life, but the main one is that this type of battery likes to stay full, being topped off regularly, constantly draining the battery down to empty reduces the battery's capacity/life, when my Pre is not being used it is always on a TS charger and my 10 month old Mugen 1400 still has around 90% capacity.