Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    somline & davsalinas,

I'm going to run the calibration on the battery & see what it reports. I'll post back here.
    I hoped you will. Good luck ;-)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Here are the results:

4201 mV

1044.013 mAh capacity
    (77.34% at 1350, or 90.78% of 1150)

Definitely a fraudulently labeled battery.

I'll look through the messages log next for anything interesting. [EDIT: nothing unusual during the charging cycle]

If there's anything else you'd like me to do with this battery, let me know.
    Last edited by jp99; 08/14/2010 at 06:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    To set getfull40 to 1350mAh:

cd /sys/devices/w1*/32-*
    echo 0x6a10 > setreg
    echo 0x6be0 > setreg
    reboot
    somline, what are the hex codes to restore getfull40 to 1150?
  4.    #244  
    It's:
    0x6a0e
    0x6b60
  5.    #245  
    Here are the results:

1044.013 mAh capacity
    (77.34% at 1350, or 90.78% of 1150)

If there's anything else you'd like me to do with this battery, let me know.
    What ever value you set getfull40 (above 1044mAh) getage will be recalculated by recalibration to reflect the true capacity (1044mAh) you have.
    EDIT: Not 100% true. Manual: The AS is a 1-byte value that has a range of 49.2% to 100%
    Thank's allot for you effort and sorry that I can't give you hope.

BTW: Did my script worked well for you?
    Last edited by somline; 08/15/2010 at 04:46 AM.
    Here are my readings of 3 different batteries:

14 month old stock Pre battery - only used for 5 months

getfull40 = 1150.000
    getage = 95.31250
    capacity = 1096.09375

New stock Pre battery - came with new (not refurb) Pre less than 2 weeks ago as insurance replacement
    getfull40 = 1183.125
    getage = 100.00000
    capacity = 1183.125

Mugen 1400 - 9 months old
    getfull40 = 1363.125
    getage = 94.53125
    capacity = 1288.5791
  7.    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Here are my readings of 3 different batteries:

14 month old stock Pre battery - only used for 5 months

getfull40 = 1150.000
    getage = 95.31250
    capacity = 1096.09375

New stock Pre battery - came with new (not refurb) Pre less than 2 weeks ago as insurance replacement
    getfull40 = 1183.125
    getage = 100.00000
    capacity = 1183.125

Mugen 1400 - 9 months old
    getfull40 = 1363.125
    getage = 94.53125
    capacity = 1288.5791
    I'm jealous. This is how it should be.
    Also, this helps me understand what happens when I swap batteries. I have a couple of Pre batteries, the two Centros and one 1350mAh Sedio. When I put the Sedio in, having charged it in the external battery charger, the Pre defaults back to a GetFull40 of 1150.00. That is the default as pointed out earlier. But if you swap batteries that have different capacity levels, the Pre won't understand a higher capacity battery - probably until you do a complete discharge/recharge cycle.
    I don't think that's true. See my post #246. I just tested 3 different batteries, one after the other. An old stock Pre battery, a new stock Pre battery and a Mugen 1400. I got different readings for all of them. The only one that read 1150 was the original stock Pre battery.

In other words, I did swap batteries with different capacity levels - the Mugen has a higher capacity level and the Pre read it just fine, it did not default to 1150.
    I'm jealous. This is how it should be.

Same here, man. I'm testing this today to see what happens with my 1350mAh:

Code:
    cd /sys/devices/w1*/32-*
    echo 0x6a10 > setreg
    echo 0x6be0 > setreg
    reboot
    Your script says that it make the battery "hold" 1317.550mAh. We'll see how long that *REALLY* lasts...

M.
  10.    #250  
    I don't think that's true. See my post #246. I just tested 3 different batteries, one after the other. An old stock Pre battery, a new stock Pre battery and a Mugen 1400. I got different readings for all of them. The only one that read 1150 was the original stock Pre battery.

In other words, I did swap batteries with different capacity levels - the Mugen has a higher capacity level and the Pre read it just fine, it did not default to 1150.
    Thanks again Trekker. Didn't saw that. No it's not true since the info is stored in the battery. So if you change the battery the palm gets the new info. But never change batteries without shutdown the device.
    Thanks again Trekker. Didn't saw that. No it's not true since the info is stored in the battery. So if you change the battery the palm gets the new info. But never change batteries without shutdown the device.
    I just took the time to read this entire thread (that's why I responded to an older post.) I think it's one of the best, most informative threads ever! You've done a great job helping everyone to understand what's going on with their batteries.

Yes, I agree about shutting down the Pre before swapping batteries, that's what I did.
    This was a very helpful post thanks !!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Did my script worked well for you?
    Yes, it worked perfectly. I was impressed with what it did. You guys that program are quite amazing
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

I agree, but you need to put my post in context. That was much earlier in our thread before we knew what we understand now. Once I set the battery register of my "1350" Seidio to 1350 from the original 1150, my Pre would pick up the proper getfull40 value after the swap and restart, but nothing would change the actual capacity as we now know.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Yes, I agree about shutting down the Pre before swapping batteries, that's what I did.
    How do you do that? Every time I pull a battery to try a hot swap, my Pre dies instantly.

Or are you doing this while charging?
    How do you do that? Every time I pull a battery to try a hot swap, my Pre dies instantly.

Or are you doing this while charging?
    I don't "hot swap" - you need to shut down the Pre. The easiest way is to hold the power button down for about 4-5 seconds. You will get a pop up with some choices. One of them is "Power" - select that and you will get some more choices, one of them is "shut down/swap battery." Choose that one and your Pre will shut down. Once it's turned off, you swap out the battery. To turn back on, hold the power button down for a few seconds and it will boot up.

Another way to shut down the Pre is to go into Device Info, scroll down and choose "Reset Options" and it will give you a list of choices, one of them is "Shut Down."
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Some people are reporting they hot swap batteries - I'm trying to understand how they do that. I've tried it but never succeeded.

I'm fully aware how to shut down a Pre and change batteries - been doing it since launch week.
  18.    #258  
    Some people are reporting they hot swap batteries - I'm trying to understand how they do that. I've tried it but never succeeded.

I'm fully aware how to shut down a Pre and change batteries - been doing it since launch week.
    you can do it by connecting the wall charger (USB). But the pre gets really confused. In the logfile you will find allot of errormessages and the pre gets slugish.
    I agree, but you need to put my post in context. That was much earlier in our thread before we knew what we understand now. Once I set the battery register of my "1350" Seidio to 1350 from the original 1150, my Pre would pick up the proper getfull40 value after the swap and restart
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. With my Mugen 1400, I didn't have to "set the battery register" to 1400 to pick up the proper getfull40 value. The Pre recognized it without me having to do anything, other than shutting it down properly.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. With my Mugen 1400, I didn't have to "set the battery register" to 1400 to pick up the proper getfull40 value. The Pre recognized it without me having to do anything, other than shutting it down properly.
    Yes, I saw you got that and was hoping if I changed getfull40 for my Seidio it would work like yours. It didn't initially, and the thought back then was the battery could need to go through something to pick up the full capacity. As we know now, some/most Seidios are 1150 and even the learning mode can't fix this.

This collaborative thread has been amazing - what we've learned about batteries, charging and their registries has finally taken the guesswork out of them. I appreciate what I've learned from all of you.