Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have 2 touchstones and am having the same problem with both. When I set my pre on to charge, it keeps 'boinging' and going off the charge. I have tried slight repositioning of the pre on the stone but to no avail. I won't get a full charge' and sometimes will lose power. I even took off the back cover and made sure there wasn't something wrong with the contacts. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Had the same issue and it was my back. Verizon swap my backs and all was good. I thought it was kinda weird that all 3 of my touchstones were doing the same thing you described.
    Are you using the Palm provided AC power adapters and Palm provided USB cable?
    The TS that was shipped with my phone works perfect. I purchased another at a store and am using the Palm USB and AC plug and that one won't stay on charge. I wiggle the cord and the phone says charging and then a few seconds later it's not. I figure it must have a short in the TS as the cord will charge the phone thru the usb. I bought the last one at the store and they are having 2 more shipped from other stores and I'm taking my cord with me when I do the exchange and purchase the other for using in the car to make sure they work. I read on the net some have issues.
  5.    #5  
    yes and yes. I think the back door sounds like a good place to start!
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    yes and yes. I think the back door sounds like a good place to start!
    Have you looked at the back prongs on the inside of the phone? Sometimes they get "smashed down" and don't make good contact. You can gently bend them back up with a straight pin or something small and see if that helps.

The only time I have had the problem you described is when I wasn't using the Palm proved AC adapter.
    Very likely your back cover
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue. I have taken off the back and tried cleaning the contacts but it doesn't seem to help. Oddly enough, it is not consistent and only happens on occasion. And to make it stranger, sometimes if I reboot my phone it seems to help.
    mine never works right
    Quote Originally Posted by treycarver View Post
    waste of $50
    First... you paid too much. I have gotten 3 for less than $15 each.

Second... I have four that I use all the time and don't have problems with a single one. They work perfectly all the time.

Two of my kids have Pixi's w/TS and they work perfectly too.

Maybe you just have a bad one?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I have the same problem. I have 3 touchstones at home none of them work I get the same thing it charges for a sec then stops..starts then stop...etc. at work however they all work perfectly. I tried another usb cable another palm ac plug i bought from ebay nothing works at home. My conclusion is that it is the quality of my electricity at home. maybe it is not as stable as my job? not sure havent tried another back cover though I have an extra so Ill try that today and see if it helps. Ill let you know.
    I have four. Every one has worked from the first time I got them. There are three reasons for the recurrent sound: 1. busted Touchstone (in my experience, very unlikely) 2. using non-Palm chargers. Most wall and car chargers will NOT work with the TS. They will charge the phone directly, but not through the TS. It requires higher input that the Palm OEM chargers supply. 3. Dropping power. At times, if it's raining, my wipers are going in the car, and I turn the headlights on, or even a turnsignal, the TS will boing once or twice because the power getting to it is inadequate,.

The Touchstone is one of absolutely best reasons to have Pre. Everyone else is trying to copy the idea and not very successfully. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but calling a TS a waste of $50 is ridiculous. And as someone stated, I just bought my fourth from Amazon for $15. Stick with OEM cords and a consistent power supply and it can't be beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I have four. Every one has worked from the first time I got them. There are three reasons for the recurrent sound: 1. busted Touchstone (in my experience, very unlikely) 2. using non-Palm chargers. Most wall and car chargers will NOT work with the TS. They will charge the phone directly, but not through the TS. It requires higher input that the Palm OEM chargers supply. 3. Dropping power. At times, if it's raining, my wipers are going in the car, and I turn the headlights on, or even a turnsignal, the TS will boing once or twice because the power getting to it is inadequate,.

The Touchstone is one of absolutely best reasons to have Pre. Everyone else is trying to copy the idea and not very successfully. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but calling a TS a waste of $50 is ridiculous. And as someone stated, I just bought my fourth from Amazon for $15. Stick with OEM cords and a consistent power supply and it can't be beat.
    Interesting...I have 3 TS, "all" have worked from the 1st time I bought them.

1. All 3 worked great, but now, all 3 "boing" intermittently.
    2. All 3 are OEM chargers/cords.
    3. Not using any in the car, so "my windshield wipers" can't be causing the "boing" (and I'm not having problems w/ the other electronics in the same area of the house the TS/chargers are located).

So....all I'm saying is your 3 statements are not necessarily the answer to the "boing" problem. My contacts have been cleaned & it's still occuring with all 3 TS. And btw, I purchased the 3 TS at separate times, all for less than $20, so it's not the high cost of the TS thats causing the problem...

I don't have an answer to the problem, however, your 3 "suggestions" are worthy of exploring, but not the answer to the problem as evidenced by my 3 TS.
    I have 6 of them now and they all work fine. If you are experiencing the charging dance with more than one and you are using the Palm AC adapter with them, the Touchstone back is probably where the problem lies.

As others have mentioned, check the prongs on the Touchstone back cover to make sure they haven't been bent, which will create too much space between the touchstone and coil. If this doesn't help get a new cover.

If the Pre/Pixi gets too hot this will also cause the charging dance on the touchstone. Anything over 50C the touchstone does not like.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    My first touchstone had this same issue. Just replaced the touchstone package (back and touchstone) and it fixed.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    Interesting...I have 3 TS, "all" have worked from the 1st time I bought them.

1. All 3 worked great, but now, all 3 "boing" intermittently.
    2. All 3 are OEM chargers/cords.
    3. Not using any in the car, so "my windshield wipers" can't be causing the "boing" (and I'm not having problems w/ the other electronics in the same area of the house the TS/chargers are located).

So....all I'm saying is your 3 statements are not necessarily the answer to the "boing" problem. My contacts have been cleaned & it's still occuring with all 3 TS. And btw, I purchased the 3 TS at separate times, all for less than $20, so it's not the high cost of the TS thats causing the problem...

I don't have an answer to the problem, however, your 3 "suggestions" are worthy of exploring, but not the answer to the problem as evidenced by my 3 TS.
    Same here. I have two of them, one at work and one at home. Both are OEM cords and TS. It happens at both places so I assume it must be a problem with the phone or the back cover.
  17.    #17  
    Wow, kind of glad to hear that it isn't just me. I have changed the back cover, all Palm cords, even tried outlets in different places, to no avail. Has anyone tried WebOSrepair utility or WebDoctor; maybe it is a software issue? (sorry if that is an ignorant idea; I have only had my phone for 2 weeks!!!) Seems crazy that this should be such a prevalent issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    Wow, kind of glad to hear that it isn't just me. I have changed the back cover, all Palm cords, even tried outlets in different places, to no avail. Has anyone tried WebOSrepair utility or WebDoctor; maybe it is a software issue? (sorry if that is an ignorant idea; I have only had my phone for 2 weeks!!!) Seems crazy that this should be such a prevalent issue...
    There have been some posts about it since launch but there has never been an outcry about it.

As a trailblazer into this type of tech (inductive charging) Palm is bound to have a few problems.

Like I said I keep adding more and more Touchstones and I don't have this issue. I can get it to happen if I use the wrong AC adapter, but using Palm's always works for me. Check out my thread about 3rd party adapters. Maybe you can try on of them with better luck.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-adapters.html
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Mine all work great ... after I shoved a tooth size length of 4 thick cut sliver of postits into the upper slot by battery to try and jam battery to solve SHUt down problem when slider closes.

this fixed slider issue and touchstone issue!!!

I had stopped using touchstones because of the boing boinging and general failure to charge.

PS my battery seem to go in very tight without postits but I guess not good enough.
    This thread might help.

FWIW, the first test is to insert a business card between the back and the Touchstone to see if that solves the issue. If so, then you can perform the mod, or keep switching backs until one works properly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast