Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I've noticed that my pre which always had a strong EV signal at my workplace now has some issues. My EV connection isnt as strong and whenever I go online to browse the internet it always goes from a EV connection to a 1x connection even with the phone sitting in the same exact spot? Has anyone else had this issue and is there a solution for it? Thanks in advance.

I have already did a network update and a prl update in the phone settings. I've restarted my phone several times and still nothing. This has been going on for several days now.
    Could have tower issues in your area. Try calling your carrier and see what they have to say or if there is a known issue in that area right now.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Also... if you haven't done so lately, be sure your phone is using the most recent PRL (Preferred Roaming List).

Phone app> Preferences> Update PRL

You can see what your current PRL is by going to: Device Info> More Info> PRL (current version is 60668)
    I've had the same issue lately. What I do is use my Device Megamix patch, and turn the phone radio off and then back on really quick, and EV is back up and running. That's the best I can tell you. I am going to call Sprint soon to see what's going on soon.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Chichi,

I'm in the same boat. I called Sprint and they said they could not see any tower issues but they were going to run additional tests and call me back tomorrow. I have another Sprint Pre user in my office and we both will flip to 1x at the same time. This has been happening to us for a few months now. I can see the tower from my office; less than 1/4 mile away so up until this happened, I had great EV at work! I'll post if they tell me anything interesting.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks guys/gals! I also was turning off the radio and turning it back on using airplane mode which works for a split second then back to 1x soon as the browser card is opened. Eitehr way thats too much work and gets annoying to just use the internet. I will also call Sprint since that seems to be the consensus.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    My phone got drastically worse about 2 months ago. I used to get great reception in my office and now I'm constantly dropping calls and am lucky if I can get 1x to browse the web. I talked to our buildings and grounds manager and he said they haven't done anything recently that could interfere with the signal. I can barely use my phone at work now.

To make this into a long story (and warn people about calling Sprint over reception issues) a few weeks ago service at my house dropped off as well. I'm normally a very strong/consistent EV at home but it kept jumping between 1x and none. I assumed there were tower issues and tried to make a quick call to Sprint to confirm. After about 5 minutes I got a nice girl who verified that yes a tower was down in my area. Then she surprised me by saying she would transfer me to her supervisor to receive a credit for my inconvenience. After 40 minutes of holding another rep picked up who had no idea what was going on. After telling him everything mentioned above, he then put me on hold for 10 more minutes just to come back and tell me that yes, the first girl was right, there is a tower down. So stupid me spent 55 minutes on the phone for an answer I had received after the first 5. So I sent an email off to Sprint just to rant a little bit. I got an email back the next day basically saying "It seems you are having reception issues. Please contact customer support at #." Thanks Sprint.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of any non Pre users (on Sprint) that may or may not be getting the same problems as reported here? Just looking to confirm that it is not just the Pre having this issue.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I just called sprint *2 and after trying to place the call 3 times and getting a no signal error when trying to place the call (I had 2 internet browser cards in teh background) The rep told me that we have rported towers down in the area and all i can do is ride it out.
    I travel all over the country for my job and noticed that the last few times I was in Laredo I was not getting any data at all so on my last trip down I stopped by a local sprint store to see if they could figure out what was up. Turns out my phone had the most recent PRL installed only the most recent PRL isn't working with the towers in Laredo. They said it is a known problem that is trying to be fixed, in the mean time they installed an older version of the PRL and now the phone is working fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod2505 View Post
    I travel all over the country for my job and noticed that the last few times I was in Laredo I was not getting any data at all so on my last trip down I stopped by a local sprint store to see if they could figure out what was up. Turns out my phone had the most recent PRL installed only the most recent PRL isn't working with the towers in Laredo. They said it is a known problem that is trying to be fixed, in the mean time they installed an older version of the PRL and now the phone is working fine
    How do you go back down in PRL? Does it have to be done by Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    How do you go back down in PRL? Does it have to be done by Sprint?
    The only way I know of is to doctor your phone and then not run the PRL update....should take you back a few updates unless Sprint updates the .jar every so often.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Stopped by my Sprint store yesterday to ask about this and they were unaware of any issues.
    I have seen random people here having the same issue nationwide.
    I myself have been dropping into 1X randomly right after my city "flipped the switch" to 4G.
    3G/4G are completly separate towers so that does not seem like a realistic reason for buggy data.. . I think.. .
    I have to be earnestly honest here. This 1x issue is starting to get to me. What in the creation of all that is sane is going on? Are we experiencing Pre issues or are all Sprint users sharing this problem as well? Did I just ask the same question as others in this thread?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    This issue has been occuring for me for about 3-4 weeks now.

The only way I can recreate this issue is whenever I start CardAce or Pandora. The moment I start them up, I go from EV to 1X. This is happening almost every single time now. Very frustrating. Its as if someone at Sprint does not want me to use these apps.

HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by toburg View Post
    Does anyone know of any non Pre users (on Sprint) that may or may not be getting the same problems as reported here? Just looking to confirm that it is not just the Pre having this issue.
    I have a Verizon and when the signal is very low 2 bars of 3g and you put some load (i.e data services) it is immediately goes to 1x. The funny thing is, that on Evo (well, you never know which service will screw up and when) I have ability to play between Verizon and Sprint prl. And I have installed program called Real Signal, so when there 2 bars on 3g according to real signal in reality there are 1 bar of 3g and 1 bar of 1x. (i.e 110 dBm of signal strength). And I think it has to do with tower load...
    When I'm in a weak area I just switch to roam only using the Device Menu Megamix patch. Fixes me right up.

I also find that EVDO Hybrid Rev 0 works better for me than Rev A.
    Last edited by vza33; 08/09/2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more info
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Also... if you haven't done so lately, be sure your phone is using the most recent PRL (Preferred Roaming List).

Phone app> Preferences> Update PRL

You can see what your current PRL is by going to: Device Info> More Info> PRL (current version is 60668)

I updated today and it showed up as 60669

I'm running Sprint 1.4.5 (dev webos doctor)
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    having same problems. In northern va. Just updated to PRL 60669
    any you sprint guys/gals checking your data usage when this happens? I had ev to 1x issues at the tail end of my billing cycle and chked, I was at 5.2gig,lol. I think sprint throttled me to discourage further use for the last few days of the cycle. Anyhow found workaround to stay on ev and faster net speed,bit annoying but worked mostly. Just started new billing cycle and all seems normal again, sprint,hmm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast