Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <<deleted>>
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 08/11/2011 at 06:08 AM.
    hi cavemen,

you can do a search using google and most likely you will chance upon nextgenserver.com. I have managed to unlock my AT&T and O2 Pre Plus successfully through them although it's fairly expensive in my opinion. Or you can find someone who has a contract with AT&T and see if he/she can help you to obtain an unlock code for you FOC subject to AT&T generosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzilla View Post
    hi cavemen,

you can do a search using google and most likely you will chance upon nextgenserver.com. I have managed to unlock my AT&T and O2 Pre Plus successfully through them although it's fairly expensive in my opinion. Or you can find someone who has a contract with AT&T and see if he/she can help you to obtain an unlock code for you FOC subject to AT&T generosity.
    I don't mind paying $30 for the safe bet unlocking. Nextgenserver is the only site I managed to find as well. Its amazing not to see a choice out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Unlocking in a few simple steps:

1. Run the official Palm activation bypass tool:
    Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

2. Unlock your Pre (Plus)
    credits and instructions: Nextgen Server.
    Stick to step-by-stel rules and do not forget to disable DIAG mode once it's unlocked.

a. Data off SIM
    : run Device Info, Full Erase to start Activation/Profile Creation process
    b. No data off SIM: Meta-Doctor http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html

You should have had it activated for the very 1st time in the US, to get the US AppCat (paid and free apps). Chances are you will get the CA AppCat (not sure).
    Other than that unlocking a device does not restrict its use in any way. The unlock is permanent and irreversible.
    And that is supposed to be a headache-free painless activation?
    Thank you for this information though, I guess it takes more than just running a code to activate the device, I will do some reading but presently have more questions than before, like:

1. Why do I need to run an activation bypass tool if I don't plan to develop for the device? Is it to be able to use Internet data on the device with my carrier? Doesn't nextgenserver takes care of that?
    2. I didn't understand Step 4 at all... I know that I have a SIM with my carrier Rogers Wireless. I bought unlocked GSM phones before, and all I had to do was to just insert my SIM and I was good to go. Isn't this the same case here? Palm Pre + with AT&T is GSM. If I unlock it with nextgenserver and then insert my SIM, shouldn't it be working?
    3. You have Step 4 right after Step 2. Was it a typo or was there a step 3 also?

Sorry about all these questions. This will be my first smartphone and I really wanted it to be a Palm.
    Correct, the earliest I will get my hands on it will be mid August since I am traveling, but just wanted to study the process beforehand so I am best prepared.

Thank you, GuyFromNam, for your input!
    IMPORTANT: if at all possible, have your Pre activated in the US. You'll have access to the US appcat (biggest) and be able to purchase apps with a CA credit card
    Unfortunately its too late for that. All unlocked AT&T PP+s were a bit out of my range ($400+). Plus, you don't even want to know what it would have cost me in border taxes and processing fees (another $150+). I got lucky with someone who already had the brand new device already in Canada. Can't beat the $300 deal with shipping (and no contract).

I actually don't mind less apps (don't think its that big of a difference between the US and Canadian markets), but payment-wise, how does a credit card makes a difference? Won't I be able to pay with a CC still? Btw, is there a PayPal payment option?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    GFN. Question.
    I bought a 2° hand at&t pre+ from USA. When I turn on the device in my country, appears a green screen that literally says: "Enter network unLock code. Contact your carrier for the unLock code". Also it has two buttons: Emergency call and Done.

I should follow your instructions??? or my phone is a Weigh paper candidate??? or I should buy a Rebel Sim Card like Jero3188???
    (1° option pls....)
    Chances are you will get the CA AppCat (not sure).
    This is confirmed.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Hi, I have a similar situation. Been waiting for over a year for the GSM version of the PRE to be released.

A friend of mine got me the phone off AT&T paying full retail price and since I'm in other country he sent it to me and now I'm dealing with unlocking.

I got it all clear but one thing GuyFromNam, you said "have your Pre activated in the US". My phone was never activated there BUT have some friends here with AT&T, should I ask them for their SIM and it will be the same as activating it in the US?

Thank you
    I mean using their SIM to activate in AT&T will allow me to use the US app catalog?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hello GFN.

I need a little bit of your experience again...
    I followed the instructions from Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center, as you said.

1° step. Booting into recovewry mode-> OK
    2° step. Flasihng your device with webOS doctor -> OK
    3° step. Running the activation bypass tool -> OK

Now. Am I ready?? Do I use my Nextgen credit??? or I must do it after the 4° step (activating your device)...

Thanks...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I did finish the "Running the activation Bypass-tool"
    ----------------------
    The activation-bypass tool is a Java application. To use the tool, you need to have installed Java and the latest webOS SDK (which includes Palm's Novacom driver).

1. Download the activation-bypass tool, which is available here, and save it in the location of your choice.
    2. Boot your device into recovery mode, as described above.
    3. Run the activation-bypass tool from the command line by issuing the following command: java -jar devicetool.jar

The device will reboot. Once the device is booted, it will be in developer mode, and the first use procedure will not be required. The device will be ready to use, subject to the limitations of non-activation.
    ----------------

and I can see this
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/286/dsc08092ak.jpg
    and this
    http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1966/dsc08093p.jpg
    and this...
    http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/2182/dsc08094.jpg

Before following your instructions, the phone was blocked and I just could see a green screen asking the unlock code...
    Now, may I use my Nextgen credit???

Thanks a lot...ĦĦĦ
    Last edited by poolento; 08/01/2010 at 04:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    eeeehhhh...
    I did all the process with the SIM card... |
    jeĦĦĦ
    ------------
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Unlocking in a few simple steps:

1. Run the official Palm activation bypass tool:
    Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

2. Unlock your Pre (Plus)
    credits and instructions: Nextgen Server.
    Stick to step-by-stel rules and do not forget to disable DIAG mode once it's unlocked.

a. Data off SIM
    : run Device Info, Full Erase to start Activation/Profile Creation process
    b. No data off SIM: Meta-Doctor http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html
    GFN.
    step 1. perfect
    step 2. perfectĦĦĦ (now I can freely call)
    step 3. I don´t know why, but the guys from Nextgen didn´t even mention this step in their instructions.
    So, what do you mean by "data off SIM"??? the step a. will erase all the information stored in my SIMcard???? (contacts, messages, etc) (a or b... that´s the question for me...)

Almost got itĦĦĦĦ
    ;o)
    Last edited by poolento; 08/02/2010 at 12:34 AM.
    Unlock is GOOD: Nextgen Server
    Unblock is BAD: paperweight or dumb workaround
    "Dumb Workaround"

GFN,

Good one. That about says it all considering someone must have been pretty dumb to have forced the device into unBlock, and the dumb hardware that has to be employed in the workaround for that mistake!

Nice!

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    mmmmhhh... Meta-Doctor looks scary...
    let's try it tonight...
    thanksĦĦĦ
    Last edited by poolento; 08/03/2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    GFNĦĦĦĦĦ... Help pleaseĦĦĦ Having trouble with step 10 of the Meta Doctor-guide...

cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>web<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>

at the third <TAB> stops the autofilling... linux doesn´t recognize any text.--
    and I just can get this

cp build/preplus-p101eww-att-1.4.2/web

my data just before in meta doctor...
    -------------------
    root@poolento-desktop:~/meta-doctor/downloads# wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/preplus/p142r0d05162010/attp142rod/webosdoctorp101ewwatt.jar
    --2010-08-03 03:42:21-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/preplus/p142r0d05162010/
    root@poolento-desktop:~/meta-doctor# make unpack patch pack
    rm -rf build/preplus-p101eww-att-1.4.2
    -------------------

I'm so close... but don´t want to mess it up---

PD: working on windows 7.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and I did uncomment the same specific features as gnrsdlm:

##########################
    ## END OF DOCUMENTATION ##
    ##########################

########################################
    ## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    ########################################

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    # ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    #REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi" or "pixiplus".
    DEVICE = preplus

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".
    CARRIER = att
    Last edited by poolento; 08/03/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Post in the Meta-Doctor thread please. There's users there working on Meta-Doctor as well as the OP who will be able to help you with this much quicker.
    ok. did it...
    The best if you are not a Pre owner yet is get it unlocked.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post
    The best if you are not a Pre owner yet is get it unlocked.
    yes. too late... I already bought it and still can´t enjoy it...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hello GFN... sorry for bother you again, but I´ve posted my problem in the Meta-Dr thread and noone helps. I think everybody is on vacation.
    I've been working with the meta-dr for a week and still with the same problem. I believe that the problem is not complex, so I hpe you could give a hand.
    Copy/paste from Meta-Dr thread:
    ------------------------------------
    Working on windos7.
    Bought the Nextgen credit and it worked great in my pre+, but still can't access internet with my SIM card. My hardware settings are still ATT...

I´m still having trouble with step 10 of the Meta Doctor-guide...

cp bu<TAB>pre<TAB>web<TAB> ~/Des<TAB>gue<TAB>

the autofilling stops at the third <TAB> ... linux doesn´t fill any text.--
    and I just can get this

cp build/preplus-p101eww-att-1.4.2/web

So, If I try to Meta-Doc a palm+ from at&t, GSM, webOS 1.4.2.
    I just need to get and rename the 1.4.2.jar file from Meta-Doc wiki???
    I must follow the make clobber; rm Makefile; git pull from the quote of step 9???

ThanksĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ----------------------------------------
    Hope you could give me any idea...
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast