Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    From Rod, not saying you are wrong, just the couple times he has addressed it and the one time HP/Palm did (1 time I remember reading I mean). It has sounded more like this quote below.
    Ok, I couldn't find the post in question but I did get this from the Palm Support website.

    http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/...warrantyperiod

    What kinds of damages are not covered by my warranty?

    Palm's Limited Warranty excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, disassembly, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications. Please review the warranty for further details.

    A Palm device that has failed due to damage resulting from accident, disassembly, unauthorized service, or unauthorized modifications is not eligible for warranty service, however, your Palm device may be eligible for Out of Warranty (OOW) service if the damage is repairable.
    So... that says the device is not elligible for warranty repair IF the damage is RESULTING FROM unauthorized modifications.

    That means damage/failure on an OC'd device that would normally be covered under the warranty will still be covered as long as it isn't resulting from the OC.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    use webos doc 1.2.1, I believe that does a complete erase (someone back me up on this?)
    Anything previous to 1.3.5
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Phone mods are now legal.....I am not certain they would automatically void a warranty because of patching.
    Incorrect. The clarification of law was that it is NOT copyright infringement (which also clarifies that certain mods can still be deemed violation of copyright). Regardless of the copyright laws, there is no protection in that law built in for voiding your warranty based on a mod or a circumvention of proprietary software.

    Basically even though jailbreaking an iphone is now clarified as not copyright infringement, Apple can still void your warranty if you brick your jailbroken iphone. (for example)
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ok, I couldn't find the post in question but I did get this from the Palm Support website.

    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - In-warranty repair services (US & Canada)



    So... that says the device is not elligible for warranty repair IF the damage is RESULTING FROM unauthorized modifications.

    That means damage/failure on an OC'd device that would normally be covered under the warranty will still be covered as long as it isn't resulting from the OC.
    It's really semantics. I have dealt with this for years with cars, it all depends on the company and how hard they want to fight you vs. providing good customer service.

    Not to mention we all have seen those folks that have fought to get warranty replacements for screen/usb port cracks, because they have been told it is not a known defect, it is not a warranty replaceable issue.

    I don't disagree with you at all, just saying that results may vary depending on circumstances and customer service rep.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I could've stopped reading at "Thunderchief".
    I have the starfighter one, but it was clocked at 500mhz.

    I believe its something with leaving the pre on charge overnight and not the kernels.. well in my case atleast..i can see how having the 1ghz+ kernels and leaving it clocked at those speeds will lead to problems.

    I will uninstall the kernel tonight and see what happens. I wish there was a way to keep tabs of the phones temp, so i could see any spikes during the night
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    It's really semantics. I have dealt with this for years with cars, it all depends on the company and how hard they want to fight you vs. providing good customer service.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not to mention we all have seen those folks that have fought to get warranty replacements for screen/usb port cracks, because they have been told it is not a known defect, it is not a warranty replaceable issue.
    IMHO, the USB crack issue is a design issue. You can definitely open the door without getting the crack. You just have to gently pull straight out from the side especially near the bottom edge where it attaches. I have been doing it since Feb. as necessary (I have 4 TS so there is one no matter where I go) without any cracking on my current Pre. But if you open the USB door the way the user manual shows... you will end up with the dreaded crack and in the exact same place as everyone else (fancy that).

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I don't disagree with you at all, just saying that results may vary depending on circumstances and customer service rep.
    Most definitely!

    But I, like you detest the efforts of some to misuse or defraud the system to avoid either paying full price for a replacement or the deductible on a TEP, when they are knowingly at fault for abuse or neglect.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

    Most definitely!

    But I, like you detest the efforts of some to misuse or defraud the system to avoid either paying full price for a replacement or the deductible on a TEP, when they are knowingly at fault for abuse or neglect.
    LOL, I was honestly so hyped after spending all the money on 2 Pre's when I read thru TEP and saw that it specifically covers water damage (not that I have ever water damaged a phone). Made me happy to know that if my expensive awesomeness got wet, I wouldn't be going back to my Centro. I remember back in the day when water damage wasn't covered by ANYTHING.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    That means damage/failure on an OC'd device that would normally be covered under the warranty will still be covered as long as it isn't resulting from the OC.
    And how is that determined? Do you think Palm is going to do a failure analysis on the device before replacing/repairing under warranty? Failures due to overclocking can manifest itself in different ways.
  9. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #29  
    For those condemning the OP because he was running Thudnerchief: did you not read the part where he doctored the phone, or do you think the kernel somehow caused the hardware to overheat itself even in the absence of a modified kernel?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    For those condemning the OP because he was running Thudnerchief: did you not read the part where he doctored the phone, or do you think the kernel somehow caused the hardware to overheat itself even in the absence of a modified kernel?
    If the electronics were damaged by overclocking (or any other reason), no amount of doctoring will fix it.

    I notice that the OP's post doesn't mention anything about running Thunderchief, did he edit that part out?
  11. #31  
    Are there not separate patches available to monitor temps for both the CPU and the battery?

    My advice would be to cool the phone (put it on a bed of ice or something) and grab those patches. Then take the phone off the ice, and see what happens.

    If it's the battery going wild, they'll likely replace the battery and/or the phone itself (if the overheating damaged the phone).

    If it's the CPU overheating, then it was probably the overclock that ruined the chip.

    Regardless of what story you tell when trying to get it fixed or replaced, I'd try and find out the cause anyway... that way if it was the overclocking that did it in, maybe you'll think twice next time before more than doubling the CPU's speed.
  12. #32  
    Electromigration is a gradual process, which is accelerated by overclocking, and can cause catastrophic failure without warning.

    Going from 500MHz to 600MHz reduces your phone's OMAP3430 SoC manufacturer guaranteed lifetime from 100K hours to 44K hours. That is a 0.08V voltage increase for that frequency jump. To get to 1.2GHz, it requires an additional 0.35V voltage increase. You do the math ...

    Unless you have disabled various daemons on your device, Palm gets a report every day which specifically identifies your device serial number, your phone number, your palm profile, which applications you have opened and closed each day (and the specific time of day for each) and even which wifi access points are nearby at the time.

    Palm's EULA which you agreed to when you first turned on your device (you did read that fully, right?) allows them to share that data with their carrier partners, who can then use it to determine warranty status. Whether they choose to do that or not probably depends on your particular carrier ...

    Put simply, if you have ever installed a custom kernel on your device, then you have explicitly given up all legal and moral rights to warranty replacement for any problem which could possibly be related to the action that you chose to take.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I notice that the OP's post doesn't mention anything about running Thunderchief, did he edit that part out?
    Yeah, he edited the Thunderchief part out - presumably so there's less proof of his deliberate attempt at fraud if the CPU is fried and he does try to get a new one on warranty - but he didn't edit out his references to Govnah, which he'd have no business running if he wasn't overclocking:

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I thought maybe something went wrong with the Seidio battery, so I took the battery out and left the phone off because it just kept getting hotter and hotter (looking at both Govnah and Battery Monitor, the battery seemed hotter than the CPU, although the CPU was fast catching up and eventually I got the critical temp warning as I was turning it off). Govnah, when I checked it, was also showing battery drain of 1200+
    Of course, the Facebook theory is still in the post - and who knows, Palm has been known to screw up, right?
  14. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #34  
    Rod, in your opinion, is it possible for an overclock to cause this kind of issue?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Rod, in your opinion, is it possible for an overclock to cause this kind of issue?
    Well, I'm obviously not Rod and I too would love to hear his opinion.

    IMHO, I think it is possible that an OC could cause this type of behavior if over time heat or voltage or some other factor caused a degradation in the connections or circuits. This could create resistance in the circuit which requires a greater drain to meet the power demands and creates a continuous high draw on the battery.

    Of course any radio on the device that fails and shorts in an all on type status could cause a continuous high draw on the battery thus producing increasingly high temperatures from the battery as well as the particular radio that has the fault.
  16. #36  
    hmmm... I just added thunfercheif recently. I was running uberkernal before but I got way too many reboots and it always seemed hot and was laggy after a while... I was so frustrated before that thoug because I got tmc errors all the time and it was so laggy. I decided that I had had enough and went for the thundercheif since reviews seem to point towards better stability
    and cooler running system... It's proven very much to be so. For the first time since I've had this phone, it feels exactly as it should. Comparable to my old ipod touch imo, and the fact that I had to install this patch to make it run like that is the problem... Most people installing the kernals aren't your average installers, but they are so frustrated with not being able to open games or scroll lists that they feel obligated to try out the kernals. Not saying that going in for a warranty is ethical or not, but I can understand why he would. I know there are some of you who have un overclocked pres that run smooth and fit your needs. However others don't and overclock because without it, they can't even read a text or email without the system slowing to a turtle speed... No blams here on anyone I understand both points just saying that I understand. I don't like overclocking but I feel like without I, my phone is infuriating
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Rod, in your opinion, is it possible for an overclock to cause this kind of issue?
    Overclocking is a possible cause for any issue related to the operation of the CPU. In fact, it should be the first thing that you assume to the cause, and you should immediately attempt to prove whether that is the case by removing it, confirming the problem has gone away, then reinstalling it, confirming the problem returns, then repeating all that twice more to make sure. This should be done *before* reporting any problem.

    Of course, if hardware damage has occurred, then all bets are off, and frankly you need to assume that the overclocking caused it unless you can truly point to something else.

    This is the reason why we have a very serious disclaimer on these kernels. I assume that you've read it.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    uh, is your rant over with? And posting in the Thunderchief thread is not possible, Einstein, since the dev requested it be closed.
    Not closed, moved and renamed!

    Rob

    UPDATE:

    If you can doctor you phone, get the overclock kernel off and return it to Palm's kernel.

    Then return the phone for repair and don't say anything.

    I guess you can only do this if you phone is still working a little bit to do those things.

    I just wanted to offer some help in this and not come down hard on you.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  19. nullr's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #39  
    Back when I used FB and the beya app first came out with notifications (before overclocking was even recommended) it drained my battery at a rate of 20% an hour without even touching the phone. I uninstalled it and now even over clocked it never goes that high unless I use gps nav. Sprint total coverage covers everything if all else fails dump it in the tub and run it over with the hummer and send it in. JK I don't want insurance prices to go up. I use thunderchief f105-85 and it never goes above 44. Most of the time it's in mid 30's using 500-1005mhz. If you doctored and it does the same it has to be hw damage. Try doctoring again but last time I saw a phone overheat from normal or no usage was my friends (lotus flip phone) after he dropped it in the rain. Did your phone get wet? Check the moisture detection stickers. If it did total protection is your only chance there are also stickers inside the phone.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Has anyone else seen this before?

    This sort of thing happens some times. I've not seen it with a Pre, but I saw it on a nokia my dad had about 10 years ago.

    At the time, it was one of their higher-end phones. He'd never had any trouble with it, and while he was talking on the phone one day, it started getting hot VERY quickly, the call was dropped, and he had to set the phone down because there was smoke coming out all of the sudden. He wasn't even able to pull the battery because it got so hot, so fast, that he didn't want to risk being close enough to get burned.

    After it cooled down (and was clearly COMPLETELY dead, significantly melted) he took it in to an AT&T store. There just happened to be a nokia rep in-store that day. The offered by buy my dad any phone in the store, on the condition that he turn over his phone and any accessory he had ever used with it, which he took the guy up on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions