Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that we're a year and 3000 apps into it, what's your opinion?
    As expected, some very useful, lots of them crapp apps...
    There are about 65 apps loaded on my Palm Pre Plus and I am really satisfied with the complement of tools that I have. There are a few small gaps that I expect will be filled someday (e.g. Office editing and Voice dialing) but for the most part the apps I have give me the productivity and entertainment that I need from my phone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    There are about 65 apps loaded on my Palm Pre Plus and I am really satisfied with the complement of tools that I have. There are a few small gaps that I expect will be filled someday (e.g. Office editing and Voice dialing) but for the most part the apps I have give me the productivity and entertainment that I need from my phone.
    Problem is that the percent of quality app vs. total apps, is approx the same as iPhone and Android, which mean no a lot. Need more quality apps. (Less books more productivity tools)
    It's a good start, but we need more apps. Especially official apps from vendors/services. I'd love to see a twitter and skype app from the actual service.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    There needs to be either a dedicated e-reader on webOS or some of the big players (Amazon, Barnes & Noble) need to make an e-reader app. That would cut out a lot of those e-books. There also needs to be a better way to filter results for apps.

As far as apps are concerned, more productivity software sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, the games are finally coming in and they are solid to great.

This isn't a complaint. I love webOS and with HP on board, I expect the next 12 months to be far more eventful on the app front (and other fronts as well) then the last 12.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    agree. I have a lot of apps (loved the 50% off sale) some of which I never use. There are few things available on other platforms we don't have. Voice dialing (and esp voice to text message on android) is missing, but hopefully *fingers crossed* WebOS 1.5 (or is it now 2.0) with new APIs as promised in April will bridge the gap.
    Doc editing would be nice but Scratch fills the need for now. Shazam would be nice, but I have only used it a few times on my wife's iphone.

All in all, I am quite happy
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    There needs to be either a dedicated e-reader on webOS or some of the big players (Amazon, Barnes & Noble) need to make an e-reader app. That would cut out a lot of those e-books. There also needs to be a better way to filter results for apps....
    e-reader app would decrease the need for crapps from brighthouse and appbookshop, but they would still be in catalog. I doubt Palm would ever give us a endorsed way to block app vendors (what do they say to those Devs?) but the hide app vendors patch is filling that void.

Also, 3.1" is kinda small for e-books... but I do agree with you
    tired of droid friends showing me apps that I want. But I want feature parity with centro more than apps...
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    VERY Disappointing.
    We could use some higher quality apps. I hate to say it, but I'm somewhat disappointed. No apps for ING Direct or Sharebuilder. Games still lacking, even though the Pre has awesome 3-D graphics. No streaming media apps, like Hulu or Netflix. I need these things. All were on iOS - none are on WebOS. Someone at HP really needs to work double-time convincing developers to work on apps for us. It is a must to convince all that the WebOS platform is here to stay.
    I am neither satisfied or dissatisfied.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I am very satisfied. Coming from an iPod Touch, I have managed to find all the apps I need and want for my Pre (except those 1.4.5 PDK Apps). In my experience webOS gets the same app types as iOS, just in a lesser quantity. As for Netflix and Hulu, those aren't available for any smartphones yet, but I'm content using Mobile Hotspot with my Wii for Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I am neither satisfied or dissatisfied.
    Why does this not surprise me?
    Here is the thing...I was fine with it for the most part...cause the only thing i had comparing against it was blackberry. I only missed like 3 apps that i had on it.

But after messing with iPhones and Android devices and seeing just how much more functionality some of the apps have on their...i'm disappointed.

PDK will help a lot...but Web Apps honestly just seem to work better for the most basic of apps. A little more robust programming language steps it up when necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Why does this not surprise me?
    Well I find the question a little misleading

"Good Enough or Very Disappointing"

Do I think the app catalog is good enough. Easy answer NO, with anything there is room for improvement.

Do I think the app catalog is very disappointing. Easy answer NO, with anything there is room for improvement AND I accept that, also despite being over a year old now, webOS is still very young and has a lot of room for expansion. It's like a child growing up there are growth spurts and it can't happen all at once.

I'm confident that the webOS app catalog will one day rival that of any other smartphone app catalog on the market, however I don't expect it to happen over night. I personally don't expect it for the next five years.

So it's hard for me to state whether or not I find the app catalog good enough or very disappointing.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I'm pretty satisfied, considering that I have so many apps on my phone, most of which I do not use. The main apps I would need on any platform are available so I can't really complain much. Spending a good amount of time with android (Nexus One and Droid), I am pretty content with what we have, considering the quality of some of our apps are superior to those on Android.

My biggest issue is this whole "app" ideology; every website doesn't need to have an app, just optimize your mobile site and give it the added functionality, embrace the web already, our phones have more than capable browsers. Imagine having an app for every little thing you do on you computer, from ordering a pizza to checking movie times, it would be ridiculous. I do not like the trend of having an app for every damn thing, and Apple has set a very bad precedence. Why would we need an app for ABC or Hulu if the same can be achieved through HTML 5/h.264 or even flash, just doesn't make sense to me. /rant over
  18.    #18  

Do I think the app catalog is good enough. Easy answer NO, with anything there is room for improvement.

Do I think the app catalog is very disappointing. Easy answer NO, with anything there is room for improvement AND I accept that, also despite being over a year old now, webOS is still very young and has a lot of room for expansion. It's like a child growing up there are growth spurts and it can't happen all at once.

I'm confident that the webOS app catalog will one day rival that of any other smartphone app catalog on the market, however I don't expect it to happen over night. I personally don't expect it for the next five years.

So it's hard for me to state whether or not I find the app catalog good enough or very disappointing.
    Lol, the best questions are the ones that require thought; and aren't easily answered with clichés and stuff like that.

Ok, then can we get more specific? Compared to the iOS App Store, you feel the WebOS App Store is .... ? And same for Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    VERY Disappointing.
    +1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast