1. MG6
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Newbie but long time forum reader + faithful Treo650 user until now (made the switch). So I have a question on ATT network where on the Treo650, I was able to switch from:

ISP(at)cingulargprs(dot)com network to WAP(at)cingulargprs(dot)com

Is there such a thing on the Pre or Pixi webos? I know there is a disable thread from 3G to Edge.

But what about the network?

Thank you
    Mike
  2. MG6
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Bump. there isn't an option to change from wap to isp for the network on the webos?
    <<thread moved>>

OP... moved your thread to get you an answer in a better forum for this question. Hope someone can give you a hand
    There is a patch in Preware that allows you to toggle between 3G and 2G.

Note, if you are in a 2G only area and select 3G you'll have no signal. I learned this the hard way, and usually just leave it on AUTO unless I need to go down to 2G.

This should be a network select like you had on the treo650.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  5. MG6
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am sorry, but a little confused.

why will WAP or ISP fall into 2G or vise versa.

Sorry if i didn't make it clear, but for data download (going on Web), in the past, one can select WAP (Media Net) and ISP ($39 Unlimited connection) for data.

It seems like webos (without a preware) doesn't give you a selection. But in Preware, i do see there is a patch to switch from 3G to 2G.

Not sure the patch is what I am looking for. I am looking for the network address where I can select ISP@Cingular (dot).com so it isn't so congested on the network with all iphone logging onto WAP.

Note:
    Yes, I do have the $39 grandfather unlimited connection so I want to use to the fullest with ISP connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by MG6 View Post

Sorry if i didn't make it clear, but for data download (going on Web), in the past, one can select WAP (Media Net) and ISP ($39 Unlimited connection) for data.
    I believe the MediaNet was phased out. In the last month of owning my Treo680 it was unable to connect via MediaNet. Plus if you use the "NetStat" homebrew (available in Preware) you'll notice how much data you use in a month...the unlimited data (soft cap at 5GB I believe) is awesome.

It seems like webos (without a preware) doesn't give you a selection. But in Preware, i do see there is a patch to switch from 3G to 2G.
    Yeah, it's one of those things that the average phone user shouldn't be able to select for various reasons. Try not to make the phone too complicated when you market the software as being easy to use. I'm happy with the patch and can't complain.
    Not sure the patch is what I am looking for. I am looking for the network address where I can select ISP@Cingular (dot).com so it isn't so congested on the network with all iphone logging onto WAP.
    The "toggle 3G" patch is meant for that. When I'm at a Pirates ballgame (yes, I enjoy watching them lose) I usually kick it down into 2G so I can access the net. That's pretty much what the app is designed to do since iPhones and other smartphones naturally will try to keep on pushing data through the highest available connection, even if it's the most congested.

Note:
    Yes, I do have the $39 grandfather unlimited connection so I want to use to the fullest with ISP connection.
    Same here, got it on launch day and seemed like a week later they started the tiered stuff.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Quote Originally Posted by MG6 View Post

Note:
    ISP.cingular.com is the network used with laptop data cards, Blackberries, and now the SmartPhone data plan. WAP.cingular.com is the data network that's used for all other phones and plans. The network connection depends on the point of access, so that's why the proxy settings would serve your needs previously. Without a way to change your proxy in the browser on a Pre/Plus, there is no way to change the default network like there was on a Treo. You can try Optiware, as there are a couple of Web servers in there which allow you to set up your own proxy after you install the Web server app.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Can't you just go to phone preferences and scroll down to Manual Settings (under Network)?

I don't remember if this was enabled by a patch but it is there
    Attached Images Attached Images