1.    #1  
    The Pre is still drawing accolades from some smartphone enthusiasts. It came in second place in Phonedog's Best Smartphone ranking for Sprint. Behind the HTC EVO.

Introducing PhoneDog's Best Phones rankings!
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Not surprising. The Pre does a lot and the EVO only beats it on specs, not OS.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Pretty impressive that the Pre+ is also number 3 at Verizon.

Sadly I'm with AT&T and mine didn't even show up. Lack of the hotspot (well, unless you did like I did and get the patch) probably hurt it a bit.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    I believe it... the Pre (for all of its initial faults) is a fantastic device. It's getting a little long in the tooth, but still out performs and is better looking that most devices out there.

OP... nice avatar
    There is a joke there -- calling the Pre #2, but I won't go there.... ;-)

However, the only thing to say about this is that it surely is not "number 2 with a bullet" -- the Pre has peaked on every carrier it is on, other phones have shot passed it and will continue to do so until the possible new hardware is out.

I love webOS, perhaps the reason HPalm is not announcing is they are making deals with HTC, Motorola, etc. to offer webOS on their hardware?
  6.    #6  
    Back Da Pack
    Geez... 3 Wisconsin boys posting in a row... this thread's going to either implode or break out into a beer 'n brat fest

The EVO is an impressive phone, but over-hyped (IMO). I think it was the first step in where mobile is heading, but also put a shot across the bow for the carriers showing them how much data a phone like that will suck down and give them a way to increase their fees. I do love the Pre though... the first device I've ever owned that after a year, I still am not tired of...

Pretty darn impressive that after over a year it is still ranked highly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    There is a joke there -- calling the Pre #2, but I won't go there.... ;-)

However, the only thing to say about this is that it surely is not "number 2 with a bullet" -- the Pre has peaked on every carrier it is on, other phones have shot passed it and will continue to do so until the possible new hardware is out.

I love webOS, perhaps the reason HPalm is not announcing is they are making deals with HTC, Motorola, etc. to offer webOS on their hardware?
    #2!!! (LOL!) - Bad Mikey, bad, bad

HP/Palm is caught in an interesting spot. One between the end to end model of Apple (hardware, OS, and a heavy hand in software approval) and Android (all we do is provide the OS, let the hardware makers fight for dominance.. we win no matter who is #1)

They almost can't win either way. Apple fans are not going anywhere and their numbers will drag many casual users along. Those looking for something new are currently flocking toward Android.

While the Palm faithful may be disturbed by this, it is only natural. Android has 2 dozen phones on the market from every carrier and in nearly every form factor. The last Palm phone (not counting the plus and a new phone) was announced over a year ago as you've alluded to.

Don't know if the licensing to other manufacturers "horse has already left the stable", but I suspect it has. They need to do whatever it will take to build a business ready platform and then beat up on Blackberry. They are by no means finished. If they can become a solid #3 in the race - entirely possible - they merely need to lay in wait and keep improving their product.

I laugh at all of the people who keep making pronouncements that it''s over. Could they fail to make a go of this, sure. But they could also find success. This business is constantly changing and one can go from a stud to a dud (or dud to stud) in unforeseen ways.

C
    Last edited by C-Note; 07/26/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    To me the story here is the AT&T Smartphone selection.
    I can understand the iPhone taking top honors on AT&T but the Pre didn't even place.
    I don't see how the 'Samsung Captivate' or 'HTC Aria' topped the AT&T Pre Plus.
    In my eye they both barely qualify as a smartphone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I like the Pre BETTER than the Evo....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  11.    #11  
    My Season tickets arrived last week too! I think the HTC Aria was chosen because Noah at phone dogg really liked the phone. One thing he stated in the article about the Aria was he liked the size compared to all of the gigantic phones that are out now.
    For the talk of HP stalling for hardware.... HP has said they want to control the entire process. So I doubt they are farming out to HTC, etc at this time. HP has said they were not saying they would never license WebOS, but to this point it seams that they have no desire to license and/or have someone else make hardware at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I can understand the iPhone taking top honors on AT&T but the Pre didn't even place.
    The Samsung Captivate? Really? Is it just because they are running Android? I won't argue with you there if you hate AndroidUI, I do myself, even though it is a very capable OS, but the thing has a 1GHZ processor, 4 inch screen, 5mp camera...it's basically the Samsung Epic 4G, without the 4G, landscape keyboard, and the front facing camera...and that phone was already basically the EVO with a lesser camera and smaller screen.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I used to think iPhone snobs were the worst, but there seems to be a new breed taking the crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I used to think iPhone snobs were the worst, but there seems to be a new breed taking the crown.
    Not even close.