Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I just got my Pre and was wondering if there was a turn by turn (voice guidance) navigation software for webos. I do not want to pay $10 for VZ navigation. I try Google maps but it doesn't show my current location.

Thanks John
    There is a free solution available via Preware, it's called Navit.

BTW, re Google maps not showing your current location, have you turned on 'Locate Me Using' - 'Use GPS' within Location Services.

Ideally you want to add a patch so that you can toggle the above setting

PS If you need more info on Preware and patches, start here:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware
    http://get.preware.org/
    Last edited by ChasT; 07/26/2010 at 10:08 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I gave VZ Navigator a try on their 30 free trial (which I think ended June 30). They should have paid me to use it! I did not enjoy the experience. It worked at times, but even if it always worked, there are limitations to using a stand alone GPS.

Maps are only loaded as needed...if you can't get a data connection, you can't get new maps, whether you can get a GPS signal or not. If the program is off, and you turn it on without a data connection, it won't start. It will give you a message saying it needs a data connection to 'log in' or something like that. So, when I crossed the border of Montana into Alberta, Canada, no more VZ Navigator! I could turn on roaming data, but that gets expensive.

It often would just lock up. It would get an initial GPS lock, then nothing. So it would calculate the route, show the '3-d' or 'list' view, but it would not navigate. It would just sit there at the beginning of the trip and not move. Every once in a while, a red 'flag' saying "NO GPS" would pop up...then go away.

I used GPS Wrestler to get my GPS working...tried all 4 options (Option 2 is only for VZ Nav and only after you have turned on VZ Nav). Option 1 usually worked...Option 2 may have worked once or twice, Option 3 worked a few times when 1 didn't, and I'm not sure if Option 4 ever got it going again. I usually used Google Maps for my navigation needs when VZ Nav wouldn't work. Some days, I couldn't get a lock on it either (except for tower locks), trying to get GPS wrestler to get a lock.

GPS wrestler was worth the $1 I spent, but it wasn't flawless. Sometimes it would say GPS was active and working, but present "null,null" as the lat/long coordinates. Other times, it would get A lat/long, but not keep updating. But overall, it was quite helpful.

So, I would not recommend VZ Nav. I would recommend GPS Wrestler and Google Maps. But now I'm going to check out Navit...see if there is something there I can use!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Sprint Navigator works pretty well for me, but I realize that won't help you much if you're on Verizon...........
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    The Verizon GPS is known to have problems getting a GPS Fix on your location.
    There are several threads about it in the forums.
    The current best solution is a beta app called “GPS Fix” available in Preware.
    http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/beta/gps-fix

Edit: "Navit" is not available in the US!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The Verizon GPS is known to have problems getting a GPS Fix on your location.
    There are several threads about it in the forums.
    The current best solution is a beta app called “GPS Fix” available in Preware.
    http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/beta/gps-fix

Edit: "Navit" is not available in the US!
    Just spent about 30 minutes looking into Navit...well, waiting for 1.4.5 I guess!

I'll look at GPS fix too. Maybe between that and GPS Wrestler, I'll always be able to get a 'fix' when I need it!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!