Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I have Preware and Webos QI. I have the new Internalz (thanks Jason). Im just not sure how to doctor my phone and how i get other homebrew apps that might no be on the phone. Is every homebrew app on Preware or Not? Do i have to back up all my pics and videos onto my computer before using a doctor. Should i be using something besides Uber kernal and Govnah for over clocking (it seems to be working great even though im new at this). Lots of questions and i love my Pre and webos and dont want to be left behing....Thanks
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by broyshow View Post
    Im just not sure how to doctor my phone
    Run webOSDoctor.jar file...although I don't know why you would need to docotor the phone. It's a last resort for major problems. I haven't had to doctor once so far. *knocks on wood*
    and how i get other homebrew apps that might no be on the phone. Is every homebrew app on Preware or Not?
    Most are in Preware. They get submitted to be on the feed list and end up there after testing and everything works properly. Those not in Preware are more than likely to still not be ready for prime time.
    Do i have to back up all my pics and videos onto my computer before using a doctor.
    I'd advise you to do so. Doctoring is the last step and basically sets the phone back to being as though it just came out of the box. I don't recommend doctoring the phone unless absolutely necessary!
    Should i be using something besides Uber kernal and Govnah for over clocking (it seems to be working great even though im new at this). Lots of questions and i love my Pre and webos and dont want to be left behing....Thanks
    Keep the overclock setup you have. It's tested, proven, and works well. I run a 720mhz/250mhz screenstate on my Pre+
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  3.    #3  
    Wow thanks you answered all my questions. I just want to be on top of this. DO you have the new Internalz app that just came out. MY question with that is how is the best way to use it. I found some stuff i downloaded before and thought i had gotten rid (Nems games that dont work that well for touch screen) I have deleted those now using Internalz. Just wondering how is the best way to use this?
  4. #4  
    I'd recommend not tinkering with any of the Internalz app settings until you get used to the device and know what's what. I'm even happy with the default settings. It's a great option to organize and control the Pre. It's slightly less better than using a PC and having the phone is USB Drive mode.

    For deleting pics and other small things it's great. And from the youtube video that was featured on the article about it, it can do almost everything. Very informative, watch it if you haven't.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  5. #5  
    snotball007 covered it perfectly. It sound like you're in great shape. Get Save/Restore if you don't have it and Pre Backup Utility as well. Both are available via Preware so if you ever need to Doctor, you will recover just about everything.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  6. #6  
    Awesome advice from the guys! Welcome to the P|C forums, broyshow!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone. I guess all i need is pre backup Utility. I have save/restore. internalz is great for deleting some files but being careful of what delete.
  8. #8  
    I am also new to Preware and am interested in overclocking my Pre. However, the available information is scattered all about these forums and some are quite dated. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go to find a current and concise starting point? Also, step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  9. #9  
    I to am new also to overclocking and I found the most useful info from the webos round up app.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteneal View Post
    I am also new to Preware and am interested in overclocking my Pre. However, the available information is scattered all about these forums and some are quite dated. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go to find a current and concise starting point? Also, step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Yes, the information and articles tend to be scattered on the subject. That's mainly because overclocking has been going on for quite some time and keeps on getting updated. I mean, we've gone from a stock 500mhz all the way up to a stable 800mhz, somewhat stable 1ghz, and entire experimental 1.2ghz.

    If you've been reading the articles for awhile then you'd understand where to go and how to start. But no worries, it's extremely easy.

    1. Open Preware
    2. Type in "UberKernel" (should show up even if you just type in "ube")
    3. Install (if it asks for a reset, just hit "later")
    4. Go back to the search screen
    5. Type in "Govnah"
    6. Install (if asks for restart, hit "yes")

    If it doesn't ask for a restart after the govnah install then hit Sym+Option+R or hold the power button for a restart.

    When it restarts, open up Govnah and tap the "Profile" section and select the profile that seems to suit you the best. The Screenstate 800/500 is an easy selection. Basically "screenstate" means that the processor will run at 800mhz when the screen is on and 500mhz when the screen is off.

    Also, you can make your own settings by tapping the "Advanced Settings" that will be at the top of the Profiles screen. From here, tap the CPU frequency.

    After you have gotten here, you can see the options available. I recommend the Govenor Selection of screenstate, Min Freq 250mhz, Max Freq 720mhz. Now go back to the Advanced Settings with a back swipe in the gesture area. Go to the bottom and tap "Save as New Profile". Type in the name, hit the save button, and that will show up for you to select under the "Profiles" page for you to select.

    That's it in a nutshell.

    Quote Originally Posted by angelgar75
    I to am new also to overclocking and I found the most useful info from the webos round up app.
    Yes, that link is very useful. I read these articles to know what I was doing when I first started with homebrew and overclocking. http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/06/...ns-part-three/
    Last edited by snotball007; 07/26/2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added link
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  11. #11  
    snotball007 Thank you very much! This was considerably easier than I had expected! One last question...should a webOS update ever get here, will I need to worry about any of the changes I have made?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteneal View Post
    snotball007 Thank you very much! This was considerably easier than I had expected! One last question...should a webOS update ever get here, will I need to worry about any of the changes I have made?
    The UberKernel and your patches should all have AUPT technology http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...echnology.html, which means you can do a OTA update without removing them. If you have a theme however, it must be removed before an update.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    I'd recommend not tinkering with any of the Internalz app settings until you get used to the device and know what's what. I'm even happy with the default settings. It's a great option to organize and control the Pre. It's slightly less better than using a PC and having the phone is USB Drive mode.

    For deleting pics and other small things it's great. And from the youtube video that was featured on the article about it, it can do almost everything. Very informative, watch it if you haven't.
    I plan on making a YouTube series of called "Internalz Tipz", for short (like ~30sec) videos showing how to get the most out of Internalz. Tips on how to sort, how to rename files, etc. Should help new users who are discovering Internalz for the first time.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  14.    #14  
    awesome that would help jason
  15. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #15  
    does uberkernel include compcashe? Had the F104 starfighter kernel installed befor OTA to 1.4.5 and I can not get it back despite using the EFF patch. Don't know why . I Love the compchashe function I had my original Pre running all sorts of apps and 3D games with out a hickup clock speed set to 600mhz for games and 500 for normal use. I.e stock clock freq. Worked great. Now i'm back to resetting before I run a 3D game, not cool when you try to show of your super phone.
    // Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    does uberkernel include compcashe? Had the F104 starfighter kernel installed befor OTA to 1.4.5 and I can not get it back despite using the EFF patch. Don't know why . I Love the compchashe function I had my original Pre running all sorts of apps and 3D games with out a hickup clock speed set to 600mhz for games and 500 for normal use. I.e stock clock freq. Worked great. Now i'm back to resetting before I run a 3D game, not cool when you try to show of your super phone.
    // Beca
    Yes the UberKernel now has the compcache feature.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  17. #17  
    Oh, no, this thread and the step-by-step instructions has almost got me to cross over my "Don't risk your phone with overclocking!" Maginot Line.....

    Oh, boy, so far I've been able to keep my inner-gadget-freak at bay, to remain calm until HP/Palm comes out with the Holy Grail of smartphones in the next year etc., and not risk the sweet little workhorse Pre that I depend on everyday for my job etc.

    But you guys just had to tempt me again!

    Alright, I'm taking some deep breaths and I'll ask this: if I just dipped my toes in and "tried" the overclocking at the "stable" 800mhz, does the phone give one any little indication it can't handle it and is about to have a meltdown? Can one quickly shut it down before something happens? And can we return it to normal speed if the phone starts to act a little funny?

    Sorry to be so green and such a coward, but I do depend on my phone for work.

    Thanks!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Alright, I'm taking some deep breaths and I'll ask this: if I just dipped my toes in and "tried" the overclocking at the "stable" 800mhz, does the phone give one any little indication it can't handle it and is about to have a meltdown? Can one quickly shut it down before something happens? And can we return it to normal speed if the phone starts to act a little funny?
    You'll be fine as long as you aren't playing games in 100+ degree heat. I use the BatteryMonitor patch and Govnah to keep specs on battery and processor heat (Govnah also has built in warning I do believe if it gets too hot). I have yet to have it over 41 degrees celesius at 800mhz on a very hot day.

    The most you'll encounter is possible glitches and restarts, but this is very minimal with the stable cores. I'm at 720mhz/250mhz screenstate on my Pre+ and the bugs are virtually non-existent even with how much I use and have my phone modded.

    And yes, Govnah will automatically revert to a 500mhz default kernel incase something bad does happen and a hard restart happens. Every time you will pull the battery you'll have to go back and select the overclocked profile of your choice. Plus Govnah allows for overclock speed changes on the fly, with no restart, in case it starts to get a little to warm to the touch or you just want to preserve battery life.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  19. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #19  
    Thanks vza33 for your answer. Got Uberkernal installed a.d using the uberkernal default profile which means no over clocking but using the compcashe function to get rid of the TMC error. Now the original Pre feels like the multitasking wizard it is supposed to be. Even with a 3D game like sims running the Pre can have 5 or more things running with no problems at all. Palm/HP shuld make it a priority to get the compcashe kernel routines pushed out as OTA a.s.a.p.
    //Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  20. #20  
    Excellent and I agree.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions