Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Good evening,

I got a uk Pre at launch and for a few months absolutely loved it!

However as time went by I began getting annoyed at the time apps took to launch as well as the snails pace in which the app catalog was expanding. Because of this, I went back to what I knew in the form of a 16gb 3GS but now I'm missing the effortless multitasking that webos brought me and looking to swap my iPhone for a unlocked pre plus.

My questions to you guys are;

Has the latest 1.4.5 update increased the os and battery life performance? (I left the pre on v1.3)

Does the 512mb RAM make a huge difference over the original Pre?

Are we able to access paid apps in the app catalog yet?

Did the Flash browser update ever get released?

All the best,

Danny
    nonoyesno
    yesnoyesnearly
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Since you left on v1.3, 1.4 has increased battery life.

No but it doesn't hurt.

Yes.

Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    With the development of faster kernals that can be added/changed on the Pre, it has become a MUCH faster device! The Uberkernal (and Govnah app) make the Pre fast, smooth and an even more fun device to use. Its nothing like you experienced in the past (IMHO).

Edit: And no, Flash has not been released yet. Most likely coming with the next big webOS version, but no word yet.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/25/2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    Has the latest 1.4.5 update increased the os and battery life performance? (I left the pre on v1.3)
    Yes, and it can get even better if you homebrew and play with the processor speeds

Does the 512mb RAM make a huge difference over the original Pre?
    Extremely. I have the Pre+ and have played with the original. Hands down much more faster.

Are we able to access paid apps in the app catalog yet?
    I'm stumped on this one since I'm an American. *goes back to eating cheeseburgers and driving an SUV*

Did the Flash browser update ever get released?
    Still in limbo from the last news I saw. But I rarely deal with flash (vimeo, youtube, funny or die...all load on the browser)
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thanks for the answers everybody!

Before I left, I thought palm confirmed that flash would roll out with WebOS 1.4? That's some delay!

Does anybody happen to know a ballpark sales figure for the Pre plus in the UK? They seem almost non existent.

How safe is this overclocking method that's been suggested, I'm aware of the different speeds. What would you guys recommend as the best stable speed?

Thanks again,

Danny
    I would say the 512MB makes a difference because I never see a TMC error and I can load up 3D PDK games much faster on my Pre Plus vs. Original Pre.
    How safe is this overclocking method that's been suggested, I'm aware of the different speeds. What would you guys recommend as the best stable speed?
    Incredibly safe with using UberKernel and Govnah, both are available in Preware. Stable and safe all the way up to 800mhz. If you're brave, don't mind battery life, and willing to risk it, there is a 1 and 1.2ghz version. But to be honest, 800mhz makes a world of difference. I stick with a max of 720mhz and works well, not bad battery life, and very stable.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    Incredibly safe with using UberKernel and Govnah, both are available in Preware. Stable and safe all the way up to 800mhz. If you're brave, don't mind battery life, and willing to risk it, there is a 1 and 1.2ghz version. But to be honest, 800mhz makes a world of difference. I stick with a max of 720mhz and works well, not bad battery life, and very stable.
    Battery life won't be an issue as I'll have chargers at home and work.

Are these overclocks easy to perform or will need a degree? That 1ghz sounds mighty tempting!

Thanks again,

Danny
    very easy. Did you use any homebrew stuff before?

Preware manages everything for you. Govnah is very easy to use. You could spend your whole life trying to optimise performance and battery life. I leave my at stock speed most of the time and indulge in the odd boost when i'm near a charger.

The original 1.4 update was very buggy in my opinion but its been pretty stable for a while now.
    Battery life won't be an issue as I'll have chargers at home and work.

Are these overclocks easy to perform or will need a degree? That 1ghz sounds mighty tempting!

Thanks again,

Danny
    It's actually really easy. I recommend just sticking with the 800mhz max that comes in UberKernel. I'd read all three of these articles first Know your Overclocking Options | webOSroundup so you know what to expect and how easy it is.

I run a 720mhz/250mhz screenstate and love it.
    Do cat's like to swim now? No.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    right now i would just wait for the new hardware. you will be so much happier with it i am sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    right now i would just wait for the new hardware. you will be so much happier with it i am sure.
    +1

Don't buy a phone right now when you know new hardware is going to be out in a few months and that hardware is likely going to be significantly improved from what we have now.
    Well if you are into Homebrew, just run one of the overclockers.

My Pre now runs at 1.2 mhz

Rob

PS Yes, agree with previous message, new hardware is coming, wait for that first!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    My Pre now runs at 1.2 mhz
    Whoa! 1.2 mhz... What have I been missing?
    Just messing with you.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    no
    The extra RAM almost eliminates TMC errors (I've never had one on my Pre Plus). I have seen it explained like this - the OS takes a certain amount of RAM to run, and so leaves an amount for applications. The amount used for the OS hasn't increased with the increase in RAM and so you get nearer 3x the available RAM for apps. This doesn't necessarily mean more speed (when does it ever on a computer...) but it allows multiple apps to run with no problems. Including multiple 3D games.

And yes, in Europe we can get paid apps.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Again thanks everyone for the polite and honest replies!

I'm itching to get back into the WebOS game, but I hadn't anticipated how badly the Pre Plus has sold in the UK. I can't find one anywhere! I'm in contract with Vodafone so 2nd hand is my only option unfortunately. It'd have to have a QWERTY keyboard so Sim-Free isn't an option either!

It looks like i'll have to plod on with my iPhone 3GS for the time being.

Cheers,

Danny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast