Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The big thing here is the new kernels, the extra RAM is very good for heavy multitasking, and gaming, but for ordinary tasks it's almost the same. With the 800 MHz kernel the Pre is a completely new device.
    Although Touchstone helps, for battery saving the best option for me was turning off 3g and gps, they are the most battery demanding features by far. I could DOUBLE my average battery life only with that. BUT theese two options are not enough user-friendly without "Toggle 3g in device menu" and "Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps" patches.
    Good luck
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's just that the Pre is the same device that I had over a year ago. With the Plus I wouldn't be losing any storage space and as an added bonus I'd get double the RAM.

Does anyone have any links to sales figures for the Pre+ in the UK? I've had a trade add up in another forum for around a week with not one person coming along with the handset!
    Pre sales are probably horrific in the UK. It is exclusive to O2 which until recently had the iPhone exclusively, and now has the iPhone 4 exclusively - destroying any potential market. It just isn't advertised. The Pixi didn't even arrive in the UK, only the when the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus arrived here did O2 stock it.

It is my personal opinion that Palm like O2 because of the German O2 market where apparently they have a lot of sales (and always lead the way with updates). Someone needs to tell them that in the UK they must use other carriers otherwise they wont even get a window display
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think you've just hit the nail on the head!

It's such a frustrating experience, I'm crying out to become a Pre Plus user but Palm don't even sell the handset sim free in the UK. So the 2nd hand market is my only option and at the moment I'd be better off searching for hens teeth!

I wouldn't be bothered, but in my opinion it's a million miles ahead of any of the android offerings!
    Yes to everything but the Flash; and you have 2.0 on the horizon in the fall as well!!
    I'd wait for new hardware personally.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i'm in the UK and i picked up a pre plus on ebay for 250 just last week. not crazy cheap but not too bad.

i never used the original pre but i'm more than happy with the speed at which it runs and launches apps. very snappy. although you said you were on your old pre at first, then it slowed down? do i have some sluggishness to look forward to in a few months?

as for new hardware mentioned by others, i went through a similar dilemma about it. i figured that if a new device launches before christmas then it'll probably arrive in the UK months later, by which point i will have killed myself due to still using my crappy old phone. and it may be some custom sprint 4G thingy that can't be released here, at least not quickly.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i'm in the UK and i picked up a pre plus on ebay for 250 just last week. not crazy cheap but not too bad.

i never used the original pre but i'm more than happy with the speed at which it runs and launches apps. very snappy. although you said you were on your old pre at first, then it slowed down? do i have some sluggishness to look forward to in a few months?

as for new hardware mentioned by others, i went through a similar dilemma about it. i figured that if a new device launches before christmas then it'll probably arrive in the UK months later, by which point i will have killed myself due to still using my crappy old phone. and it may be some custom sprint 4G thingy that can't be released here, at least not quickly.
    Yeah, I agree about the new hardware. By the time it comes to the UK, i'll be due an upgrade so that could workout well.

Don't worry about it slowing down more, in my case I'd come from an iPhone originally and once i'd got over the initial multi tasking wow factor I began to notice the OS wasn't as snappy and responsive as my old iPhone.

It's proving an almost impossible task finding one in the UK, I can see Windows Phone 7 launching soon and I'll end up there instead! An crazy situation where customers are trying to join your OS but are held back by the Carrier choice!
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    Yes, and it can get even better if you homebrew and play with the processor speeds

Extremely. I have the Pre+ and have played with the original. Hands down much more faster.

I'm stumped on this one since I'm an American. *goes back to eating cheeseburgers and driving an SUV*

Still in limbo from the last news I saw. But I rarely deal with flash (vimeo, youtube, funny or die...all load on the browser)
    I would agree with all except the first. I would say "not really" but agree that OCing Kernels help a great deal and CPU scaling seems to help some with the battery (although it is still terrible imo w/ a stock battery).

The 512Mb of RAM helps a greate deal.
    There's a big update coming in the fall and webOS 2.0 is due to be released before the year's end - they may be one of the same? That's when we'll see a significant performance increase.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I will say that I was very discouraged with the Pre after using it for about 2-3 months. I got tired of the sluggish movement and poor battery life. I also hated the keyboard. I never did any jailbreaking on it because I was afraid of messing up the phone. But after about 3-4 months (and with having insurance) I decided, what the hell, let it burn. So I started using Preware and I added some great patches. I then got braver and overclocked the phone. I now run at 800 mhz and have had no problems with the phone getting hotter than normal or software issues. Every once in a while the phone does something weird but nothing major and even the iphone acts crazy from time to time. Now that I have tweaked the phone and gotten use to the keyboard from typing so much, I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS PHONE. I think Android is generic and lame and Apple is way to communist for me. I need some room to be myself and not have a dictator tell me how I can use my phone. So although I would like a bigger screen and updated hardware (I will say I do love the iphone 4 hardware) I am willing to wait out the HP and Palm transition phase until something new comes out. I also realized after seeing my friends brick size 4.3 inch Android phone that it is way to big to put in your pocket comfortably. Seeing that phone made me appreciate my compact little Pre. I even took my case off my Pre because I love the smaller, sleeker look of the phone without the case. I also am addicted to my Touchstone. All this said, if you are smart enough to read Precentral.net and find out how to overclock and add patches to your Pre you will solve the sluggishness and be able to customize your phone to your liking FOR FREE. I would also suggest buying an extra battery or two so that if your battery ever drains too fast you can just swap out batteries and you don't have to wait for the phone to charge. I also think that the app catalog has plenty of stuff in it to satisfy me and I can also get free beta software by using my Preware app. So the answer to your question, YES I WOULD SUGGEST THE PALM PRE OR PALM PRE PLUS because it is simply amazing .

P.S. I was at the Lady Gaga concert last weekend and my friend was sitting next to me with his iphone. Although my battery died faster than his, I had 3 or more bars of service the whole concert (yeah Sprint). He had no service or 1 bar 99% of the concert. And when my battery died, I popped the back off my phone and reached in my pocket, popped my new battery in..........WE WERE KICKIN' 100 AGAIN (he had to wait to get to the car to charge his phone again.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thanks for that Troy, I whole heartedly agree and can't wait to start tinkering with patches etc as soon as I can get my hands on the damn thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    Yeah, I think you've just hit the nail on the head!

It's such a frustrating experience, I'm crying out to become a Pre Plus user but Palm don't even sell the handset sim free in the UK. So the 2nd hand market is my only option and at the moment I'd be better off searching for hens teeth!

I wouldn't be bothered, but in my opinion it's a million miles ahead of any of the android offerings!
    How is the Pre ahead of any Android phone?

Have you seen the new Samsung phone, tried the Desire? The 2.2 update for Android is bringing HD Video recording, itunes sync, Flash and a few other bits with it. The Pre has been out for how long now? I would hang fire and see what new phone HP chuck out first and save your cash. The Pre is an awful phone and so are most of the apps. The things that stopped my useage of the Pre are, nothing such as documents to go and a host of other apps and a phone that hasn't been built in such a very very poor way.

At one point i had 4 replacements in a month and i am on the understanding o2 insure won't send any Pre phones out anymore and the Plus was sent to the insurance company from day 1 so that they could cope with the demand for returns with faults and that was from a high ranking person at Ace Insurance.

Its always a shame though as WebOS is so damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    Thanks for that Troy, I whole heartedly agree and can't wait to start tinkering with patches etc as soon as I can get my hands on the damn thing.
    I"m telling you, wait it out and see what the new hardware later this year brings, then you'll be able to make a better decision. Come on now, you know it's bullsht to have to heavily modify your phone, worry about battery life and updates breaking stuff, etc., just to get your phone to be usable. I think most users here agree that homebrew makes the Pre what it is today. That's all well and good, but at the same time it does not speak well of how the phone is stock. This is not even going into build quality issues. Save yourself the hassle of patching, unpatching, and reading forums for instructions by getting yourself a phone that is good stock. Save yourself money by not making any hasty decisions. If you're going to buy the new hardware in a few months, there is little reason to spend even more money buying hardware now that you know you won't be using.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Well after a couple of weeks searching for the Pre Plus, I think you'll agree I've got my hands on a great example!

It's charging as I type this post, when I go to set it up shall I sign in on my old Palm Profile or create a new one? I read somewhere online that if you create a new profile on the Pre Plus you get some free 3D games. Is this true?

I can't wait to get back to WebOS after all this time!
    Good lord that is the biggest box I have ever seen for any phone. I guess the UK likes things big???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    I would say the 512MB makes a difference because I never see a TMC error and I can load up 3D PDK games much faster on my Pre Plus vs. Original Pre.
    the TMC is not because of insufficent ram, its because of the ram management. We have done test with the kernals that do so (pretty much all of them handle the ram suffiecently at this point now) results are even a sprint pre can have open 40 to 50 applications including 3D ram slaved games, and navigations like google and never get the error. Also the extra ram would not enable the pre plus to load up anything faster then a stock pre. Ram is memory on the device, not CPU speed. All in all if you like multitasking, and WeboS I would recommend getting the F105 1ghz kernal patch, fast animation patch, and the internalz patch to get you started. All in all im pretty sure at this point with the updates, and upgrades most people who have ill thoughts, or problems with their pre's in the past, dont anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I"m telling you, wait it out and see what the new hardware later this year brings, then you'll be able to make a better decision. Come on now, you know it's bullsht to have to heavily modify your phone, worry about battery life and updates breaking stuff, etc., just to get your phone to be usable. I think most users here agree that homebrew makes the Pre what it is today. That's all well and good, but at the same time it does not speak well of how the phone is stock. This is not even going into build quality issues. Save yourself the hassle of patching, unpatching, and reading forums for instructions by getting yourself a phone that is good stock. Save yourself money by not making any hasty decisions. If you're going to buy the new hardware in a few months, there is little reason to spend even more money buying hardware now that you know you won't be using.

what you say is true, but the new verison of Webos in the UK prob wont be until first quarter to Q2 of 2011 since sprint will be the first to get it this fall. So if he gets it cheap id get it, then upgrade next year when its available. To me the only people I would not recommend getting a pre right now are sprint customers. My opinion
    Jealous! You get a little Palm USB key!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12