Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way I can get my phone to send text messages over wifi on AT&T? It's kind of a big deal for me. It doesn't seem to want to do it for me (IE if I have no signal but I have wifi, a text won't send).

Is there a patch or something for it? Maybe?
    Hi Bartakt, and Welcome to the P|C forums and your new addiction!

I don't know of any way to have text messages send over wifi as this service is tied into the phone service itself. There are some new apps (textPlus) being developed, but nothing for webOS quite yet. As HP grows the webOS user base we should see fast development and porting of apps like this for us... but until then, Sorry!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/25/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    MMS is tied to the cell service. It doesn't even use the data connection.

I am guessing a microcell will allow this since it will send the MMS through the microcell and then through your home Internet connection.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartakt View Post
    Is there any way I can get my phone to send text messages over wifi on AT&T? It's kind of a big deal for me. It doesn't seem to want to do it for me (IE if I have no signal but I have wifi, a text won't send).

Is there a patch or something for it? Maybe?
    SMS or text as most know it is not the same thing as MMS... SMS is transmitted over your phone radio... MMS is transmitted over your data connection.

Therefore... when you are connected to wifi... MMS, email, internet etc will all transmit over your wifi connection because it takes the place of your data connection (eg EVDO)... but SMS will always be transmitted via your phone radio.
    Does this happen everywhere or just at spots where you have spotty coverage.

If it is a problem everywhere you should call AT&T and get it fixed on their end.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    SMS or text as most know it is not the same thing as MMS... SMS is transmitted over your phone radio... MMS is transmitted over your data connection.

Therefore... when you are connected to wifi... MMS, email, internet etc will all transmit over your wifi connection because it takes the place of your data connection (eg EVDO)... but SMS will always be transmitted via your phone radio.
    I know on Sprint at least, when I send an MMS it does not use the EVDO connection. It stays idle the whole time.

I guess GSM is different?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I know on Sprint at least, when I send an MMS it does not use the EVDO connection. It stays idle the whole time.

I guess GSM is different?
    No... I am on sprint. And I assure you... it uses your data connection. Try turning data off and sending a picture message. The phone radio is capable of sending files and such... but if the phone allowed it, it would take forever... painfully long times to send and receive a single picture. Even with full bars.
    No... I am on sprint. And I assure you... it uses your data connection. Try turning data off and sending a picture message. The phone radio is capable of sending files and such... but if the phone allowed it, it would take forever... painfully long times to send and receive a single picture. Even with full bars.
    I stand corrected.

So out of the box, the Pre SHOULD be sending MMS over WiFi.

OP: Does this happen with all WiFi Internet connections or just the one at home?
    lol.. that makes 2 of us... I was totally thinking SMS, not MMS
    I stand corrected.

So out of the box, the Pre SHOULD be sending MMS over WiFi.

OP: Does this happen with all WiFi Internet connections or just the one at home?
    HAHA... I know how you feel.

I think the op had it wrong... in the thread title they said MMS... but in the body of the thread they talk about texting. Unfortunately... if its text and they have absolutely no signal... theres no real way to send text messages.

Of course... with most carriers the OP could try something like this: 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com send an email to that address and it will shoot a text message to the person on sprint with that phone number. But there wouldnt be any way for the person to respond to him via text if he has no cell signal.
    HAHA... I know how you feel.

I think the op had it wrong... in the thread title they said MMS... but in the body of the thread they talk about texting. Unfortunately... if its text and they have absolutely no signal... theres no real way to send text messages.

Of course... with most carriers the OP could try something like this: 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com send an email to that address and it will shoot a text message to the person on sprint with that phone number. But there wouldnt be any way for the person to respond to him via text if he has no cell signal.
    Yeah if it is texting then a microcell should help.
    Yeah if it is texting then a microcell should help.
    Absolutely... the microcell acts as a repeater through a broadband internet connection...
  13.    #13  
    Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly! Yea I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I was kind of hoping that if I was near a WiFi connection it could replace my signal so I could still send/receive texting and phone calls :-/

It looks like there is no app for this right now either? Bummer :-(
    im unable to send mms through wifi on sprint... i am in a dead zone so i have a airave... and on wifi sending a mms i always get the network error msg.. once i go outside and regain sprint 3g works fine... so go figure...
    I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money.

Modded Sprint Pre: 3" pulley s/c, i/c, 1.6 rockers, xp cam, slp headers, 3in exhaust, res/cat delete... oh wait wrong forum... ummm pre has lots of mc patches and a xtra mhz, ghtz, and chigglehertz
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcompg View Post
    im unable to send mms through wifi on sprint... i am in a dead zone so i have a airave... and on wifi sending a mms i always get the network error msg.. once i go outside and regain sprint 3g works fine... so go figure...
    Ive run into that on a few scattered occasions... never consistently. But, Ive never had any other phone with sprint... I switched to sprint on launch day... the pre is the only phone ive ever had on a sprint line... so I have no data to support whether it would be a phone problem or a sprint problem.

Have you tried putting your phone into airplane mode and taking it back out without turning wifi off?
    Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly! Yea I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I was kind of hoping that if I was near a WiFi connection it could replace my signal so I could still send/receive texting and phone calls :-/

It looks like there is no app for this right now either? Bummer :-(
    The question is why can't you send or receive texts? Is there something wrong with your plan?
  17.    #17  
    The question is why can't you send or receive texts? Is there something wrong with your plan?
    nothing wrong with my plan... AT&T doesn't get good service when I'm at one of my houses and gets 0 service in the basement where I sleep. So it'd be nice to send/receieve through wifi. I found a solution though, using Aim On my phone I can send/receive texts.
  18.    #18  
    please note... Nobody gets good reception in this area I'm in the boonies
    nothing wrong with my plan... AT&T doesn't get good service when I'm at one of my houses and gets 0 service in the basement where I sleep. So it'd be nice to send/receieve through wifi. I found a solution though, using Aim On my phone I can send/receive texts.
    Best solution hands down would be to install a repeater in your basement... its really pretty easy... just buy one of those cell signal boosters... set up the antenna outside... and then youve got great service for text and phone calls.

Another method... as suggested by NickDG is to get the microcel from ATT... tell them your coverage at home is lousy and you are thinking of switching, a lot of times they will give it to you for free... then all you have to do is set up up on your broadband... and then youve got cell signal for calls and texts that way.
  20.    #20  
    Best solution hands down would be to install a repeater in your basement... its really pretty easy... just buy one of those cell signal boosters... set up the antenna outside... and then youve got great service for text and phone calls.

Another method... as suggested by NickDG is to get the microcel from ATT... tell them your coverage at home is lousy and you are thinking of switching, a lot of times they will give it to you for free... then all you have to do is set up up on your broadband... and then youve got cell signal for calls and texts that way.
    I'm not sure I understand what a microcell is or does. Care to explain?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast