Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I tried searching and didn't find anything, but I'm sure this is aleady on here. After having my Pre screen crack on it's own, I'm currently on Pre #3 this year and the new device I've received as a 'repair' (a refurb, most likely) has a new issue.

While the phone is sitting, it will randomly pop up like I'm trying to turn the device off from the power button and I will get the "Airplane Mode/Shut off/Cancel" message over and over and over. Sometimes it does it over and over and over, while other times it won't do it at all. I've tried hard resets, blowing out the power button, etc.. Am I doomed to fighting with this until I can return it for another one, which will make Pre #4. Do I have any cause to complain about possibly getting a differennt handset besides the Pre at this point?

Thanks
    That is not normal behavior for a Pre. You could doctor to see if it will fix it. Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals , or you could return it and demand a new one, or if you like webOS and you want to try a different handset, you could always try the Pixi.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    That is not normal behavior for a Pre. You could doctor to see if it will fix it. Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals , or you could return it and demand a new one, or if you like webOS and you want to try a different handset, you could always try the Pixi.
    +1. I could not have said it better.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm all set with a Pixi. I may or may not be an employee of one of the carriers but even then it's tough to get phones if you've already used your refresh. Just gettnig frustrated with Palm lately more and more.... I was one of the biggest Pre advocates but they're leaving me behind right now.....
    This sounds like the power button is getting stuck. The behaviour described is what would happen if you held the power button down constantly.

I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 07/25/2010 at 02:09 AM.
    Hardware is always my last diagnosis... because its the last thing you can repair easily... best to let the OP try some software fixes first, and then if the issue isnt resolved point them to physical hardware fixes or suggesting a replacement phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Hardware is always my last diagnosis... because its the last thing you can repair easily... best to let the OP try some software fixes first, and then if the issue isnt resolved point them to physical hardware fixes or suggesting a replacement phone.
    The Airplane/Power/Cancel screen is launched by a hardware button. I don't know of any software that calls that particular screen. This points solidly at hardware.

If you hold down the button, that screen comes up. Basically that screen says "You are holding down the power button. What do you want to do?."

Pre is kinda unpredictable though, so I won't say it couldn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    The Airplane/Power/Cancel screen is launched by a hardware button. I don't know of any software that calls that particular screen. This points solidly at hardware.

If you hold down the button, that screen comes up. Basically that screen says "You are holding down the power button. What do you want to do?."

Pre is kinda unpredictable though, so I won't say it couldn't happen.
    Well... actually... a software event hook that looks at "time power button is held" actually calls that screen... and some other app or other could very well be calling it, such as something conflicting with a topbar patch, or advanced reset options patch... I agree with you, it sounds like a hardware failure. But I would still rather see someone try to doctor their phone than go to one of the power button fixes right off the bat and screw their phone up if they dont do it right, or return a perfectly good phone when it might be a software problem.
    Isn't it so nice to have total strangers really concerned and trying to be helpful? The P|C forums are a beautiful thing
    When you say "blowing out the power button" does this mean you popped the power button out?

If so you can pop it out and leave it out for a little while to see if the issue still occurs..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts