1.    #1  
    hey guys, i could really use some advice. i'm a big big webOS fan and have had no issues with my pre and it is launch day phone. so, i've been eligible for an upgrade for a few months now and have been holding off for SOMETHING out of HP regarding a new phone. but earlier today i dropped my pre, and broke the bottom of the LCD screen. i took it to sprint and they are telling me i have to pay $100 bucks for a new phone, even though i already pay the $7 insurance on it, which looks like is a huge scam. so my pre still works, its just not very pretty anymore. so i can either wait 3 months? 5 months? 8 months? or however long it takes for HP to release a new webOS phone, or go ahead and use my upgrade on an evo or something. what would you do in this situation?
    Depends on how much your damaged Pre bothers you.

Phone insurance is just like car insurance... you pay a monthly fee for the insurance... then when something happens, you still have to pay the deductible to be able to use that insurance. Sucks, I know...
    Usually you have to contact the company your insurance is through - I wonder if the $100 is the deductible or the cost of the phone on a new contract...? The deductible for Asurion for a Pre Plus on VZ is $89.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    In your situation, I might go with the Evo and then in another year hopefully a new WebOS phone will be out and you can change up then. Get a little taste of both worlds.
    I wouldn't wait on HP/Palm. You might be waiting awhile. Nothing has been announced, so it's going to be awhile. Get an EVO or hold out a little bit for the EPIC.
    Buy A Cheap sprint phone and use it for a few months. There shoud be new hardware out before the end of the year!
    I'm on a similar situation, the touch screen stopped working on two areas of my pre. If it was any other phone, I'd have replaced it immediately, but I really love webOS, so I'm waiting for HPalm to announce a new phone. If they don't announce it before october or what they announce does not convince me, I will have to change the platform though I'd hate it.
    you get probably get one, like new from craigs list. It seems weird that they're charging you $100. The deductable is $50 if you have total equipment protection (the $7 insurance.) perhaps they are making a mistake..
    $50 deductible is for dumb phones
    $100 deductible is for smart phones
    i thought that before the buyout that palm was already in testing of their pre2 and that they would release that phone and then the next phone in the future would be a hp/palm phone. at least thats what some of the rumors floating were saying.

if they do have a pre2 that would have been released before the buyout happened, they should release it cause if it has at least a gigahertz on it and they shortly release web 2.0 a peppier ghz phone should keep people interested in the phone until an hp/palm phone is released.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I wouldn't wait on HP/Palm. You might be waiting awhile. Nothing has been announced, so it's going to be awhile. Get an EVO or hold out a little bit for the EPIC.
    atlanta cell phones classifieds "sprint pre" - craigslist

That's Craigslist in my neck of the woods, where Pre goes for between $50-90 pretty regularly. I'm sure you can negotiate them downward and buy two if you like.

In any case, wait and actually get some choices. Unless you absolutely have your heart set on a particular Droid handset. Otherwise, buy a used Pre. They are dirt cheap, and plenty of people are looking to unload them.
    Quote Originally Posted by david7598 View Post
    $50 deductible is for dumb phones
    $100 deductible is for smart phones
    really this is new to me. i've gone through quite a few pres, some water damaged, and i've either gotten one for free, or for $50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    really this is new to me. i've gone through quite a few pres, some water damaged, and i've either gotten one for free, or for $50
    Assurance on Sprint has been $100 from day one for insurance claims. Warranty claims are free of course.

I've used both numerous times (10+ for the Pre now...) We had 3 Pre's in our family.

Definitely consider getting a a Pre from ebay/craigslist... if you really want to keep it.

Has Sprint stopped doing warranty replacements on the Pre now?
    I know I had two replaced in mid June without issue.
  14.    #14  
    i went to 3 different sprint stores, called customer service, and talked to the insurance company, and they all pretty much told me the same thing. $100 for a new phone. im pretty ****ed about it, but i think i still rather have this than move to a android phone. there's just no way i'm going to like it after falling in love with webOS, checking this site on a daily basis, and constantly checking engadget/google for new rumors on a new HPalm phone.
    On Bell it's 150 bucks for a smartphone which I paid when I lost it at a bar.

I believe sprint increased the fee from 50 too 100 some time ago, i think i remember reading something to that affect.

They will so warranty replacements for free but you pay a deductible on anything that isn't normal wear and tear.

If it helps, they told me I didn't have to get a pre again I could get any smartphone for the deductible.