1.    #1  
    I've been searching Google for a while and haven't found any real answers on this, so I figured I'd ask here. I just bought a Pre from a friend (he bought it on launch day, I was with him, we waited in front of the Sprint store for two hours before they opened.) so I know the ESN is clean and all, he just decided to go to AT&T and get an Iphone. His wife is still on the Sprint account, he just cancelled his line, so I know it was all paid up and everything after he cancelled. Anyway, I'm going to call Sprint and sign up for new service with it, but my question is, is there any way for me to back up the tons of apps he bought for it when he was a Sprint customer, that way when I run webOS doctor and wipe the phone before I sign up for service, and set up my own palm profile, I can copy the apps back on to the phone?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tryp View Post
    I've been searching Google for a while and haven't found any real answers on this, so I figured I'd ask here. I just bought a Pre from a friend (he bought it on launch day, I was with him, we waited in front of the Sprint store for two hours before they opened.) so I know the ESN is clean and all, he just decided to go to AT&T and get an Iphone. His wife is still on the Sprint account, he just cancelled his line, so I know it was all paid up and everything after he cancelled. Anyway, I'm going to call Sprint and sign up for new service with it, but my question is, is there any way for me to back up the tons of apps he bought for it when he was a Sprint customer, that way when I run webOS doctor and wipe the phone before I sign up for service, and set up my own palm profile, I can copy the apps back on to the phone?

Thanks.
    No that would be a copyright issue. But to get his apps back you could sign in with his profile then change the email address and password on the profile.
    Note: The profile is not linked to your carrier so doesn't depend on what line the phone is on.
  3.    #3  
    OK, so just to verify I'm getting it right, basically I get him to come over, after I wipe it, and sign in to his profile, erase whatever personal info (I'm a n00b to the Pre, I know a bit about technology, but my last smartphone was a Win Mobile 5 HTC Wizard I bought back in '06) Loving it so far though, and that's just using the wifi on it lol) he has in there, and replace it with my email and change password, etc. This morning he was telling me that when I signed up for a new account with sprint, they would have me set up a Palm profile and all this stuff.. so maybe it'll be less of a pain then I thought. OK, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tryp View Post
    OK, so just to verify I'm getting it right, basically I get him to come over, after I wipe it, and sign in to his profile, erase whatever personal info (I'm a n00b to the Pre, I know a bit about technology, but my last smartphone was a Win Mobile 5 HTC Wizard I bought back in '06) Loving it so far though, and that's just using the wifi on it lol) he has in there, and replace it with my email and change password, etc. This morning he was telling me that when I signed up for a new account with sprint, they would have me set up a Palm profile and all this stuff.. so maybe it'll be less of a pain then I thought. OK, thanks.
    First get your friend to do a full erase on the pre to put it back to stock.
    Now I have changed my email address while being signed into my pre so I don't know if you can do it while signed out but I recommend trying it.
    Basically you will need to get your friend to sign into palm.com and change the email address. I am not sure if you are able to change other details though.
    Well it would be nice to gain all "his" apps back I would admit. But as was mentioned there is a copyright issue. If you really looked at the apps he had there may be only a few that were really worth having. Many are "cool" for a day or two but in the end only a few are worth keeping. With that in mind you may only have to purchase a few apps and the rest I would bet are free ones or homebrew. Good luck and WELCOME TO PRECENTRAL.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    If you want to keep his apps, you have to use his palm profile; however you can change the login email and password for a palm profile. so you just change it to your email and password. (but its actualy the same profile, just different email log in.)
  7.    #7  
    OK Thanks guys, I'll ask him about doing that when I see him next. Yeah, there are a lot of apps I don't really care about, but there are some pretty cool games on it (Need for Speed in particular, and Sims 3,) only other things I care about are Google Maps and Pandora, which I just found the app is free, and now that I look back to the day he bought it, I think Google Maps was on it when he bought it, he was messing with the GPS and Google Maps on the way home. So yeah, you guys are absolutely right. Hopefully Sprint will let me get service without any contract since I already have the phone, that way I can just pay a couple months in advance at a time, same way I've been doing with Virgin for the past year. And wow, I've got to say, props for the quick responses here. Most forums I've been on for different things over the years have taken sometimes days to get any kind of reply.