Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    <<EDITING this thread a few weeks later. It turns out that the phone was never unlocked and I was mistaken. You may do a full erase without loosing your unlocked status. Please disregard my comments below, but do read the replies which are very valuable.>>

Bought a fully working Pre plus on ebay that was AT&T but unlocked. Should have been happy with that but former owner left all his data on the phone. I decided to start afresh with a full erase from the user menu.

Big mistake. Phone reverted to locked state. I thought unlocking was for LIFE? How can this revert to locked state? I have no idea how the original owner unlocked the phone and how to get it back.

Things I've tried:
    -Used WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to install AT&T operating system. This enabled me to activate it via WiFi but not to unlock it.

-Purchased an unlock code from freeyourcellphone. They claim they can't get me an unlock code with the IMEI I gave them and refunded my money.

Things I want to try:
    Installing the WR version of the WebOS Doctor ROM instead of AT&T. What would that do?? It seems to mean "world ready"

Purchase the Rebel SIM card. Will take two weeks to get here :-(

Purchase the nextgenserver unlock code.

I'm willing to spend the money but not to throw money away. Why would either a nextgen unlock code or a Rebel SIM card work to unlock a phone that has ALREADY BEEN UNLOCKED???

I'm asking the gurus out there to tell me what this phone's problem is and how to solve it. Anybody have a clue?

Rebooting gives: Enter network unlock code

Thanks
    Last edited by dhigby; 08/20/2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Corrected false information
    hi.

your best bet is to obtain an unlock code thru the nextgenserver. the unlock code is generated based on imei number so it should the same code for life. just need to renter this code again. i haven't tried to webos doctored or full erase mine to confirm this is an issue on unlocked pre+ by third-party tools. maybe an expert in the forum can provide a better explanation on this.
    its not locked.

a full reset will revert you to re-profile signin.

You need to activation bypass the unit. Search for "Meta Doctor"
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I appreciate your help!
    I know the phone is locked because when restarting it says: Enter network code. I can bypass this and use the device because I've activated it over wifi. I've tried a different simcard to no effect.

Thinking over the past events, maybe the phone was never unlocked in the first place...
    -Received the phone with no sim card, but the phone turned on, didn't ask for any codes and functioned 100%
    -Did full reset and erase and were then totally locked out of the phone. This sent me down the long path of installing Linux, etc to hack back into the phone.

So maybe the phone was never unlocked and I was victim of false advertising on ebay? This would answer a lot of questions and I'll go get a nextgen unlock code now.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhigby View Post
    Received the phone with no sim card, but the phone turned on, didn't ask for any codes and functioned 100%

So maybe the phone was never unlocked and I was victim of false advertising on ebay? This would answer a lot of questions and I'll go get a nextgen unlock code now.
    Possibly. I had a Palm Pre and upgraded to the Palm Pre Plus. I thought that the Pre would stop working once I'd taken the SIM out to put in the Plus but it worked fine on just wifi.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    What network are you using it on and did you previously use a Rebel Sim Card of any kind.
    Your case is kinda puzzling...
    I agree, this is puzzeling, no kinda about it.

- Let's get this straight, you bought a Pre Plus, supposedly unlocked, off of eBay.

- Put your network SIM into it and it worked from the git go. You didn't even need to activate it.

- You Wanted to remove prior owners data, so you used the full erase option.

- Here's where your scenario strays from the expected. If your Pre was truly unlocked using the correct Network Subsidy Unlock code (based on the devices IMEI #, whether it was derived from software such as NextGen's or given to you directly by the carrier, AT&T), your Pre should still be unlocked after the full erase, ie; any SIM card should work for use. Meta doctor to bypass activation if its necessary, then activate after you've connected to the network or WiFi (depending on WebOS version used for doctoring).

GuyFromNam's questions and a few more from me need to be answered:

- Did you previously use a Rebel Sim Card or any kind of emulator card?
    - What Network are you on (using)?
    - I presume the SIM card you're using was supplied directly by this network carrier. If not, we need to know its origins.
    - Does the unlock screen actually say "Enter network unlock code" without the word "Subsidy" ?

Prior to hearing your answers, my first guess is the device was not properly unlocked to begin with. If that's the case, then NextGen might be the easiest path forward, especially since you've already meta-doctored the device.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    i can confirm on my pre+ on 1.4.5 after doing a full erase, the phone is still unlocked.
    Hey Barry,

This is dhigby, the author of the original post in this thread. I am using my wife's account since this is her phone.

I apologize because as I looked back on ebay I discovered that the phone was never ulocked. I had bid on a number of models, mostly unlocked and assumed that this one was also.

So this thread should be closed. The Pre Plus will not revert to a locked state after a full erase and I apologize for creating the scare.

I do thank you for your contributions, because for other reasons, we now need to do a full erase and can at least do so in confidence that it will stay unlocked :-)
    Last edited by Penda90; 08/20/2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: addition