View Poll Results: How many non-pre owners do you know who are familiar with/aware of webOS and the Pre?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know a ton of people who know a lot about both.

0 0%
  • I know many people who have heard of both, but don't know much about them.

9 16.36%
  • A few, but not too many.

19 34.55%
  • Virtually no one, until I talk to them and show them my pre.

29 52.73%
  • What's webOS and the pre? Cartoon characters like Pinky and the Brain?

2 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    User semprini had a great point in another thread that I'd not thought of about the situation Palm and webOS is in right now with HP, so I thought I'd post it here and get your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    We can all see that Palm and webOS are not at the forefront of people's minds right now. While that could be a reason for doubt, the opposite could also be true.

With HP, webOS could be introduced to a huge customer base that is completely unaware of it's existence. HP could market webOS as a hot, "new" system and educate people about it's usefulness. And for those who have heard of webOS, it could be treated as a "reboot" of sorts.
    I think this is actually a pretty brilliant point of view. If you think about it, the general public really doesn't know much, if anything, about webOS, and may not be very familiar with Palm or the Pre themselves. But almost everyone knows about HP. HP could take advantage of this and market webOS as a revolutionary new OS that can do so many things, running a vast array of devices, and connect your smartphone to your computer, printer, etc... People will see this for the first time, and be blown away, much as we were blown away when we first got the pre. That could really drive marketshare and make webOS a household name.
    If you think about it, that's sort of what happened with Android. An obscure OS got picked up by Google, a huge company that everyone knows about, and was marketed as a revolutionary OS that offered a different experience than what was out there with the iphone, blackberry, and WM. With a launch of a new smartphone along with the PalmPad, HP could thrust webOS into the market as a new way of using your mobile devices to connect your life, while giving you the best user experience available on the market.
    That being said, how many people do you know around you who are familiar with webOS or the pre, beyond what you may have talked to them about. I know that I've gotten 6 people on it who had never heard of either before I showed them my phone. Maybe, just maybe, the fact that Palm and webOS have really no mindshare will work to their advantage in being rebooted by HP and presented to the increasing mobile and connected network.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 07/23/2010 at 11:37 AM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I hope they do a good job marketing. None of my friends knew what a pre was before I showed them mine. But everyone knows what an iphone, Blackberry, Droid is. No more creepy commercials. Let's see what webOS can do.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFloyd View Post
    I hope they do a good job marketing. None of my friends knew what a pre was before I showed them mine. But everyone knows what an iphone, Blackberry, Droid is. No more creepy commercials. Let's see what webOS can do.

Well said. I agree.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I just talked my wife's cousin into buying a VZW palm pre plus, and the selling point that got her was free Mobile Hot Spot to go with her new Non-3G iPad
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFloyd View Post
    You nailed it. It all hangs on how HP advertises their product. Take a page out of Apple's book. Or the Droid ads. Focus on more than just the hardware. Show everyone what webOS can do.
    If you haven't seen it before, something like this, made by a FAN of the Pre, would be awesome:
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

I would love to see HP do a HUGE mareting campaign for WebOS in the before the years end.

I hope they release 4 types of hardware at once. That way no matter what type of hardware you want there would be a suitable form factor.
    1 - Portrait Slider with 3.7" Screen
    2 - Landscape Slider with 3.7" Screen
    3 - Slab with 3.7" Screen
    4 - Slab with 4.0+" Screen

Give them all the same specs and maybe even a way to customize the phone and you would have something new to the market.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I would love to see HP do a HUGE mareting campaign for WebOS in the before the years end.

I hope they release 4 types of hardware at once. That way no matter what type of hardware you want there would be a suitable form factor.
    1 - Portrait Slider with 3.7" Screen
    2 - Landscape Slider with 3.7" Screen
    3 - Slab with 3.7" Screen
    4 - Slab with 4.0+" Screen

Give them all the same specs and maybe even a way to customize the phone and you would have something new to the market.
    The hardware is important, but the marketing of the phone as a whole, and especially the software, is the biggest aspect of getting into people's heads. I'm just interested in how that marketing and the product that's being pushed will be perceived. I think that if HP pushes it the right way, it WILL be seen as a new OS by those who are unaware of either the Pre or webOS. I'm curious as to how many people actually have no idea what webOS is. If they've never heard of it before, it will be radically new and different from anything else out there right now. If they've heard about it, but don't know anything other that word of mouth or the random internet article, it could be a great way of piquing their interest in learning more about it. The people who are really not going to be moved one way or the other are those who are huge fans and are set on staying with webOS, those who are set on staying with their current platform no matter what, and those who are well-educated about the phone and have opinions one way (good reviews, great user experiences) or the other (horrible reviews on hardware problems, stuck thinking it's not a good product). After thinking about it from this perspective, I really don't think that HPalm is in a bad position at all, as long as they get something out by the end of the year, and present it in the right way.

I didn’t vote in the poll because I don’t ask people if they familiar with WebOS or the Pre – I show them!
    I also agree that marketing the phones and WebOS as new and revolutionary is the way to go. If Apple can call the iPhone “Magic”, Palm and HP should be able to call the WebOS phones “Revolutionary”. They also need to Advertise! - Advertise! – Advertise!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I didn’t vote in the poll because I don’t ask people if they familiar with WebOS or the Pre – I show them!
    I also agree that marketing the phones and WebOS as new and revolutionary is the way to go. If Apple can call the iPhone “Magic”, Palm and HP should be able to call the WebOS phones “Revolutionary”. They also need to Advertise! - Advertise! – Advertise!
    And how do those that are unfamiliar with the pre or webOS react when you show them? When you present it to them in a way that makes them say "Wow!"?

The should also market WebOS as "Magical". Steve Jobs has already proven that people are gullible enough to believe it.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    And how do those that are unfamiliar with the pre or webOS react when you show them? When you present it to them in a way that makes them say "Wow!"?
    So far I have converted 9 friends and relatives to Palm Pre's or Pixi's including my boss and his wife. Most others are very impressed with the UI and are surprised by the quality of the apps.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Here you go guys:

Full:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ok-ur-pre.html

Mobile:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ok-ur-pre.html

Palm (HP) needs to get thinking, and thinking quickly, because the boat is leaving and they're about to miss it.
    A series of ads like this new one would be awesome: AboutPalmPre » Post Topic » A Great (Fan?)-made Ad for webOS
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    So far I have converted 9 friends and relatives to Palm Pre's or Pixi's including my boss and his wife. Most others are very impressed with the UI and are surprised by the quality of the apps.
    Awesome man! See, that's what I'm talking about. Many people have never really seen or heard of the Pre or webOS. But when they do they're turned on by it. If HP markets it right, they could have just that reaction when they reboot it and come out with new devices.

The way I see it is kind of like a new store opening. They have a "soft" opening and once the bugs are worked out they have a "GRAND" opening. It's like this with WebOS and the Pre/Pixi. We were the soft opening and now that most of the bugs have been worked out it is now time for the GRAND opening. GO HP-Palm!
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Business 101 Fact:

The majority of new stores fail in the first year.

(Not talking about chain stores)
    most people I show it to are impressed, then they say they don't need a phone that does all that.. Others are blue collar workers that are afraid they will break it on their jobs.. Palm needs a tough flip phone, a pre, and a candy bar phone. Something for everyone