Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my pre and Webos but, I'm really starting to worry that by the time the next webos smartphone is announced, too many people will have already migrated to another platform and the gap in apps will be too much to overcome.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    It is kinda bleak out here in Palmville.
    I disagree. I think we're on a platform that is about to explode. Reason being Palm's willingness to provide great developer tools paired with HP's business plan of making WebOS printers, slates, etc.. I envision every accessory that HP makes will have WebOS as the platform. I do not like Android's UI one bit.
    Sadly yes. The longer nothing is said more and more peple are leaving WebOS and not coming back.

By the time HPalm does say something most people on Android/WP7/iPhone aren't going to want to switch.
    I agree its a classic first Rev device, but thats not beyond my expectation.

The app is an important aspect, but so far I don't think its the most important things on a smartphone. Exactly how many apps does one user need? There are crucial apps, and then there are "nice to have" apps, and the there are "who cares" apps. I think webOS is good enough in first category, so-so in second category. As in third category, really, who cares.

I understand the hiatus in the effort of expanding mind share, probably due to the acquisition by HP, in my mind, this is the most important thing palm/hp need to do, that is, if HP really intends to do so. Everything else will follow when you have large mind share, and market share.

I don't like what HP did with compaq, so Im not sure what HP will do to Palm.

HP can show their commitment by showing us the Pre 2 in the coming month.
    People are always going to want to switch phones. Thats just the way it is.
    I'm getting worried a little but my contract does not end until next year so I have plenty of time to wait.
    Mobile space is changing very quickly....if you snooze you lose....HP/Palm cant afford to lose any more of their fan base....many people have already moved on over to android. I believe most of them wont come back this year as they already used their Upgrades. Next exodus will occur on the release of Samsung Epic 4G. I know one person who has Pre from sprint since last year is gonna be moving to Epic. ***sigh***
    BTW. my contract is up since June and still holding up for concrete news on new handset from HP/Palm
    The thing is, with WP7 on the horizon launching in October, Palm is playing a risky game here. There will soon be 5 major players in the smartphone world.

People who don't want the iPhone will look to these other 4 platforms. RIM might turn them off as it seems pretty boring and dated. Maybe they want more excitement? They have WebOS, Android, and now WP7 to choose from at this point. They will choose WP7 or Android over Palm 49/50 times at that point because the hardware will be so dated and lackluster vs all the new Android monsters and the ridiculous minimum specs of the WP7 phones.

This is like the Pre vs the iPhone 3GS again.
    I do get that feeling at times, but as mentioned on the front PC page, webOS 2.0 should be out by years end. Not to mention that a phone market isn't like home movie media in that there is room for competition. So help me God if all phones have to be Apple or Google based.
    @SportingLions actually BB is coming out with their new OS i believe its called BB 6 ....we Palm folks are still waiting for updates on our year+ old hardware.
    We can all see that Palm and webOS are not at the forefront of people's minds right now. While that could be a reason for doubt, the opposite could also be true.

With HP, webOS could be introduced to a huge customer base that is completely unaware of it's existence. HP could market webOS as a hot, "new" system and educate people about it's usefulness. And for those who have heard of webOS, it could be treated as a "reboot" of sorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I do get that feeling at times, but as mentioned on the front PC page, webOS 2.0 should be out by years end. Not to mention that a phone market isn't like home movie media in that there is room for competition. So help me God if all phones have to be Apple or Google based.
    Year's end is still five months away, and it's not just Apple or Google. Windows and Rimm are there to, and Nokia is always lurking. Not much time or space for webOS to become a serious mainstream player.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    We can all see that Palm and webOS are not at the forefront of people's minds right now. While that could be a reason for doubt, the opposite could also be true.

With HP, webOS could be introduced to a huge customer base that is completely unaware of it's existence. HP could market webOS as a hot, "new" system and educate people about it's usefulness. And for those who have heard of webOS, it could be treated as a "reboot" of sorts.
    You know, you make a really good point here, and I've never thought of the situation from that point of view. You're right, a lot of people don't know about webOS, and might even be unfamiliar with Palm as a whole. HP could market this as a new, innovative, revolutionary OS, and introduce it to consumers who actually will perceive it that way. In addition to the following we have right now, and the fence sitting smartphone buyer out there, it may actually be more successful than people, myself included, have thought. Very good point semprini.

Edit: Just posted a poll here to see how many people precentral members know that are familiar with webOS and the pre. It will be interesting to see what the actual mindshare is around pre users.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...lutionary.html
    Last edited by morrison0880; 07/23/2010 at 11:46 AM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Nope I am using this at least 2 years
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I've heard all the buzzwords I care to hear from Palm/HP... PDK, synergy, enterprise solutions, distributions channels, backends... I'm illegible for a new phone dammit - is Palm going to actually offer one in the near future or are they too busy going to conferences sprinkling pixie dust?!
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Sadly yes. The longer nothing is said more and more peple are leaving WebOS and not coming back.

By the time HPalm does say something most people on Android/WP7/iPhone aren't going to want to switch.
    Really? You have some expert opinion on this? People hop from phone to phone all the time nowadays. Some folks even switch carriers.... there are folks on this forum that dumped their iPhone when the Pre finally launched on ATT (even thought the phone itself was almost a year old and there was a new iPhone on the horizon).

Just like the people that switched to WebOS from other phones, or people that chose to go elsewhere when leaving PalmOS, or the folks that switched to the Evo to only come back to WebOS.

I think you assume people have a loyalty to their phones OS, in general I would say that's untrue. Especially when we are talking brand new OS's, iOS/WebOS/Android are all relatively new then you've got win phones history of disappointing even it's "loyal" windows/win phone users. The only folks I would say that may be truly loyal to an OS, are some iPhone folks (cuz they are loyal to apple), a large chunk of enterprise RIM users (and maybe still some enterprise PalmOS users that have made the jump to WebOS, even though it has very little to nothing in common with Palm OS).
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedavis190 View Post
    I've heard all the buzzwords I care to hear from Palm/HP... PDK, synergy, enterprise solutions, distributions channels, backends... I'm illegible for a new phone dammit - is Palm going to actually offer one in the near future or are they too busy going to conferences sprinkling pixie dust?!
    illegible...

I popped out to the cloud and googled the meaning for you using my stationary connected device in conjunction with my gecko powered connected software.

Most of the buzzwords you list have a real meaning behind them, unlike the buzzwords I used to describe the internet, the action of searching, my desktop PC, and firefox (respectively).
    Definition of buzzword by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

This isn't meant to be a lashing about the misused word "illegible," just to point out one persons "buzzwords" are another persons attempt at saving oxygen and time when talking.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I got my Pre Plus 7 months ago on a two year contract and fully expect that there will be new hardware for me to chose from when the time comes for me to move up.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedavis190 View Post
    I'm illegible for a new phone dammit
    Illegible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast