Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Personally, while I've been enjoying my Pre, my next phone will be a 4G. The Pre will move on (and live on for at least another year) with my wife or my daughter, both of whom wish they had gotten a Pre when we switched to Sprint last fall.
    Now, as to what that phone will be, with only Android announced so far, I'm still hoping for something competitive from Palm. Otherwise, I am fairly sure that I'll be on WP7, as nearly all the things I'm looking for are already announced (or available on Zune, which will be moving wholesale to WP7).

If I'm honest, I can't think of one single app that I use regularly on either my Pre OR my iPod Touch that I can't get on another platform, and there are several things that I expect WP7 will do exceedingly well, such as syncing with Outlook, which is still not seamless on any other platform, and WMA protected mode support, which is not available on any mobile platform that I know of other than WM and Zune.

Navigation, texting, reading email, playing music, listening to audio books, search, light web browsing and making phone calls are about all I do on a mobile device. While I haven't heard of a great SIP client for WP7 yet, I haven't found one I like on WebOS either. I am concerned about the lack of cut and paste on WP7 though.

From what I'm reading, this fall will be a very big season for new mobile hardware, and I can't imagine HP or Palm sitting this out. I could be wrong, but I think they're smart to wait until at least prototypes are ready to talk specifically about new hardware. Think about how much of the Pre's peak demand was missed by building the hype too early.

One thing though Palm. I won't buy another device without Audible.com support, and I'd love to have WMA protected audio as well, as many libraries now offer audio books for download in that format. I hope you're listening, because I'm not going to keep carrying 2 devices!
    da1Bear

Click to see my Virtual Business card

Palm Pre on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by da1Bear View Post
    Personally, while I've been enjoying my Pre, my next phone will be a 4G. The Pre will move on (and live on for at least another year) with my wife or my daughter, both of whom wish they had gotten a Pre when we switched to Sprint last fall.
    Now, as to what that phone will be, with only Android announced so far, I'm still hoping for something competitive from Palm. Otherwise, I am fairly sure that I'll be on WP7, as nearly all the things I'm looking for are already announced (or available on Zune, which will be moving wholesale to WP7).

If I'm honest, I can't think of one single app that I use regularly on either my Pre OR my iPod Touch that I can't get on another platform, and there are several things that I expect WP7 will do exceedingly well, such as syncing with Outlook, which is still not seamless on any other platform, and WMA protected mode support, which is not available on any mobile platform that I know of other than WM and Zune.

Navigation, texting, reading email, playing music, listening to audio books, search, light web browsing and making phone calls are about all I do on a mobile device. While I haven't heard of a great SIP client for WP7 yet, I haven't found one I like on WebOS either. I am concerned about the lack of cut and paste on WP7 though.

From what I'm reading, this fall will be a very big season for new mobile hardware, and I can't imagine HP or Palm sitting this out. I could be wrong, but I think they're smart to wait until at least prototypes are ready to talk specifically about new hardware. Think about how much of the Pre's peak demand was missed by building the hype too early.

One thing though Palm. I won't buy another device without Audible.com support, and I'd love to have WMA protected audio as well, as many libraries now offer audio books for download in that format. I hope you're listening, because I'm not going to keep carrying 2 devices!
    All I have to say is be prepared to be disappointed with WP7. It won't start hitting it's stride until at least gen 2, as with most new pieces of technology.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I think its more like The Betamax vs VHS Format War, that war lasted for ages. We are VHS hear us ROAR!
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    All that just to have a usable phone...
    No, not just to have a usable phone. Please read the first sentence of the other post.
    well does the hd- dvd have any more movies being published for it?

your analogy is way off base.

the pre plus contiues to get updates, more apps are continually coming, and future webOS updates with microphone and camera api's and speed enhancements will not only be going to the new palm phones, but also to the original pres and probably also pixis. Homebrew and webOS internals also show no signs of slowing down.
    I for one am EXTREMELY HAPPY with my phone, and have yet to become
    bored with it. It doesn't feel like an obsolete device.

The palm pre plus is simply the BEST phone out there right now, for me.

It's obvious from all the postings above that many of you are just frustrated with your current devices. Well then just move on. Come back when palm releases updated hardware in the near future, if it meets your needs. By then there will be even more apps and improvements in webOS, including for the original pre.

can you say that about betamax of hddvd?
    @da1bear .... I think you are dreaming about WMA protected support. At the same time, who knows since HP does have the capital and the relationship with Microsoft. I personally think if you see it, it won't be from HP it will be from a 3rd party developer that has an independent relationship. Of course I am just guessing here, but the cost to include something per app sale, vs per device when only a fraction will use it makes more sense. Personally I am trying to move as far away from proprietary and DRM when it comes to digital media purchases.
    mmm it's happening already we have no apps and most of the ones we have are horrible.
    ive noticed a lot of you commenting on APPs. i dont completely understand this. i realize apps are great and can be very useful, but from what i have seen there are a lot of repeat apps on the other systems. so i get to choose from 100 tip calculators, )or really i can use math i learned in elementary school to figure it on my own) or 40 jogging and bike riding apps.

dont get me wrong, some of them are cool as can be and we do need more then what we have. but i dont understand why having the ability to have so many apps is a deal breaker for so many people.

the best part is if there is an app that you want and its not available, down load the app builder program and drag and drop it the way you want it. presto, done.

please dont get me wrong, i want new hardware too, bad, im tired of my cracked USB port that has moved to my screen.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I love my pre and Webos but, I'm really starting to worry that by the time the next webos smartphone is announced, too many people will have already migrated to another platform and the gap in apps will be too much to overcome.
    There will be another device soon and with 2.0 coming sooner then later we will be a lot better off no need to be so negative I am still happy with my pre and pre plus on sprint that i managed to get activated so try not to be so negative
    I've never been a product ******, but came pretty close with the Pre.

(Edit: the word "f a n b o y" is banned here? ***?)

Unfortunately, since the first Pre was released, Moto has released two versions of the Droid and HTC, along with Moto, has some pretty killer hardware.

I can't believe we're still looking at two webOS phones and there's been nothing new (or hints, leaks of something new) in more than 18 months.

I hear the Pre Plus is blazing fast. Too bad my first generation Pre is slow and unreliable and looking pretty long in the tooth.

If webOS is going to make a splash, expect it to take longer than Windows Phone 7 and by then I fear it'll be too late.

I'm probably gonna trade up to an EVO if my Sprint store ever gets one in stock. But I'll come back to Palm in a heartbeat if they start producing great hardware and improve the reliability of webOS.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    i would agree with what the first few reply's were. That is that palm has lost way to many consumers. The palm name just keeps digging itself deeper and deeper. They are slow to come to updates, the hardware is outdated, and it seems as though no progress is happening behind the scenes to get palm going again.

A while ago HP said "we didn't buy palm to get into the smartphone market." To tell you the truth this really scared me because i truly love my pre, now that i have finally installed Govnah and got the CPU running at 800mhz.

Getting back to the point webos/palm only have about 1% of the smartphone market. A big share of that market goes to RIM, Apple, and Android (in that order). So what is tacking them so dam long!!! I have no idea, but i know exactly whats going to happen.

Palm, under the structure of HP, is going to wait till the end of 2010 for holidays. Thinking that that would be the best time to sell. But let me tell you whats wrong with that...first its going to be to late and second their going to come out with a phone that isn't going to have the tech specs demanded by users. They always fall short when it comes to hardware and no one can deny this. The EVO launched about a month ago, and the first 1ghz cpu smartphone the nexusone came out about 8 or so month ago. I know for a fact that the next palm is not going to run faster than 1ghz and probably wont sport a camera with greater then 5mp. And the next palm is expected for another 5 month at the least. By that time we will have phones running at 2ghz or 1.5ghz and palm will still be just entering the game with 1ghz, A LITTLE LATEE don't cha think boby? Palm is always two steps behind.

My contract with sprint ended on july 1st. So i am due for a new phone but am waiting because i love webos and i am a loyal user. I still have the original pre that first launched and it is treating me very well. Havn't had any issue with it yet, except for sluggishness, but that was fixed with govnah.

Well ok thats all for me know, back to TNT. There playing lord of the rings. Not my taste but ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    i would agree with what the first few reply's were. That is that palm has lost way to many consumers. The palm name just keeps digging itself deeper and deeper. They are slow to come to updates, the hardware is outdated, and it seems as though no progress is happening behind the scenes to get palm going again.

A while ago HP said "we didn't buy palm to get into the smartphone market." To tell you the truth this really scared me because i truly love my pre, now that i have finally installed Govnah and got the CPU running at 800mhz.

Getting back to the point webos/palm only have about 1% of the smartphone market. A big share of that market goes to RIM, Apple, and Android (in that order). So what is tacking them so dam long!!! I have no idea, but i know exactly whats going to happen.

Palm, under the structure of HP, is going to wait till the end of 2010 for holidays. Thinking that that would be the best time to sell. But let me tell you whats wrong with that...first its going to be to late and second their going to come out with a phone that isn't going to have the tech specs demanded by users. They always fall short when it comes to hardware and no one can deny this. The EVO launched about a month ago, and the first 1ghz cpu smartphone the nexusone came out about 8 or so month ago. I know for a fact that the next palm is not going to run faster than 1ghz and probably wont sport a camera with greater then 5mp. And the next palm is expected for another 5 month at the least. By that time we will have phones running at 2ghz or 1.5ghz and palm will still be just entering the game with 1ghz, A LITTLE LATEE don't cha think boby? Palm is always two steps behind.

My contract with sprint ended on july 1st. So i am due for a new phone but am waiting because i love webos and i am a loyal user. I still have the original pre that first launched and it is treating me very well. Havn't had any issue with it yet, except for sluggishness, but that was fixed with govnah.

Well ok thats all for me know, back to TNT. There playing lord of the rings. Not my taste but ok.
    Wasn't the HD2 the first phone with a 1ghz cpu?
    Like I've said before, I am perfectly happy to stay with my Pre until my contract runs out. Sure,it's great to have the shiniest new phone on the block like the other kids, but at the end of the day the Pre has enough apps and features that I don't feel the need to switch.

----------------
    Now playing: Duke Ellington - Ellington Medley
    via FoxyTunes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Palm is not doing itself any favors by waiting. The ONLY reason they can be waiting to announce anything is that they have NOTHING to announce.

Just got my wife an EVO today. She likes my Pre, but didn't want to be tied into 18 month old technology for 2 years. She waited 2 months to see if Palm was going to announce anything on Sprint. Last night she finally decided to pull the trigger on the EVO.

Kinda makes me happy cuz now I get to play with Android for two months waiting for my upgrade ... And waiting to see if Palm ever fels the inclination to announce/release anything...
    Just tell her it's brand new and she won't know any different.
    Have you thought that HP/Palm are waiting until they can say a date for 2.0? I mean what's the point really of announcing hardware and nobody knowing NOTHING about what the operating system is capable of? Isn't that the problem android phones have (fragmented, not all use the same version) and to some extent, the iphone since 4.0?

It gives them time to come up with new hardware (which I believe is actually done and ready and just needs touching up) as well as make sure webOS 2.0 is as good as it can be.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123