Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Really? You have some expert opinion on this? People hop from phone to phone all the time nowadays. Some folks even switch carriers.... there are folks on this forum that dumped their iPhone when the Pre finally launched on ATT (even thought the phone itself was almost a year old and there was a new iPhone on the horizon).

Just like the people that switched to WebOS from other phones, or people that chose to go elsewhere when leaving PalmOS, or the folks that switched to the Evo to only come back to WebOS.

I think you assume people have a loyalty to their phones OS, in general I would say that's untrue. Especially when we are talking brand new OS's, iOS/WebOS/Android are all relatively new then you've got win phones history of disappointing even it's "loyal" windows/win phone users. The only folks I would say that may be truly loyal to an OS, are some iPhone folks (cuz they are loyal to apple), a large chunk of enterprise RIM users (and maybe still some enterprise PalmOS users that have made the jump to WebOS, even though it has very little to nothing in common with Palm OS).
    People have loyalty to the ecosystem they're tied to though. Blackberry users can't switch because they're tied to a BES or BIS backend. iOS users won't want to give up the investment they've made in the App Store. Android users are probably tightly integrated into Google Services in a way that's very difficult to replicate on other platforms. What's compelling enough about WebOS to entice someone to walk away from any of that?
    It's interesting how many people think webOS is likely dead and then listed WP7 as one of the killers. Honestly? WP7 is newer than webOS--webOS has at least as much chance of succeeding (and failing) as it does.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It's interesting how many people think webOS is likely dead and then listed WP7 as one of the killers. Honestly? WP7 is newer than webOS--webOS has at least as much chance of succeeding (and failing) as it does.
    WP7 has better industry support, though.
    WP7 is newer than webOS--webOS has at least as much chance of succeeding (and failing) as it does.
    I don't quite agree with this. Although Windows is much newer, and isn't a guaranteed success, they are almost certainly going to have instant converts based solely on Office and Exchange. People know windows and have used WM devices for years. They can simply offer something that no other phone can, and it will bring people on board. Whether or not it's a huge consumer win is still to be seen, but I definitely see it being big in the business sector. webOS, on the other hand, needs to show what differentiates itself and makes it more desirable than the other OS's. It CAN do this, but HP needs to make sure the marketing side nails it just right.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People have loyalty to the ecosystem they're tied to though. Blackberry users can't switch because they're tied to a BES or BIS backend. iOS users won't want to give up the investment they've made in the App Store. Android users are probably tightly integrated into Google Services in a way that's very difficult to replicate on other platforms. What's compelling enough about WebOS to entice someone to walk away from any of that?

In this day and age, the average user other than those I mentioned really isn't that tied to a device (enterprise and apple folks).

With further API's in webos, and the full release of the PDK, there won't be any google integration that webos can't do (other than maybe the google voice issues). I didn't even use gmail before WebOS, I now have my gmail, google calendar, and google docs all syncing with WebOS.

As many Android folks have said, the 3D gaming is still currently better on WebOS. The big thing keeping me away from Android is the lack of a proper hardware keyboard (besides the awesomeness that is WebOS operating system).

Average users don't upgrade to the newest most expensive phone every year (or less). I do believe the fractured environment in Android phones will actually drive some people away over time. Also the many manufacturers with their various skins over Android, it's not just the fracturing of the multiple versions of the OS. Just because you like one Android phone doesn't mean when you are ready to upgrade you will like the next (once again for the average user).

In the end, you talk about people "walking away" like they are in a relationship with a certain OS. I will go back to the concept of the average consumer again, the average consumer will get a phone from the carrier they are with when they are ready for an upgrade (this is even true with power users in some aspects). For example, the wife and I will not leave Sprint (unless something drastically changes with their service/price/etc). So even being the power user I am, my phone choices are tied to my carrier, when I am ready for an upgrade, I will be buying a phone from Sprint, so unless someone comes out with a better portrait keyboard (on Sprint) than whatever Palm has at the time, we will still be with Palm.

Another example, when we bought the Pre's we actually looked at all phones and carriers. We found that after playing with phones (even some droid phones) the features we needed were in the Pre and we had been with Sprint and liked Sprint. That is how MOST users make phone decisions, what is the best purchase for their needs and their budget at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I don't quite agree with this. Although Windows is much newer, and isn't a guaranteed success, they are almost certainly going to have instant converts based solely on Office and Exchange. People know windows and have used WM devices for years. They can simply offer something that no other phone can, and it will bring people on board.
    From what I understand, WP7 will not run the WM apps that people already have. I also don't know much about it's exchange capabilities, but iOS, Android, and webOS also integrate with Exchange via EAS, so that's not unique. And at least at launch, it won't have copy and paste, which will limit the business user's usefulness, regardless of Office apps (which the other phones can also open). So I don't think it's as unique as you say, and it's certainly slanted towards the consumer end of the spectrum rather than enterprise. I believe MS is going to continue offering WM 6.5 for the enterprise.

Agreed, though, that HP needs to market the dickens out of webOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Unfortunately my run with Palm is coming to an end. My last 4 phones were Palm (3 treos and a pre). But come Sept. I got an upgrade and I think I'm going Evo unless Palm drops a new phone on us, cuz I'm sick of this Pre. I love WebOS but the phone itself just doesn't do it for me.
    My next phone will be an Android device. There is very little that Palm can do to keep me here, because they have done just about everything they can to try and keep me away. Had it not been for the community, I would have switched a long time ago.
    I disagree with WP7 part...i see WP7 going the way of MS's KIN phones. Meanwhile, at the rate HP/PALM is going it will lose more customers.
    I still have not seen a new phone that I would trade my Sprint Pre for. Running 65 patches including 1Ghz Warthog. Only saw the doctor one time about two weeks after purchase in November. Only problem has been a slight Oreo. Solved that with a GRT case. Guess I have been very lucky.
    Yeah, I agree. Palm is not doing itself any favors by waiting. The ONLY reason they can be waiting to announce anything is that they have NOTHING to announce.

Just got my wife an EVO today. She likes my Pre, but didn't want to be tied into 18 month old technology for 2 years. She waited 2 months to see if Palm was going to announce anything on Sprint. Last night she finally decided to pull the trigger on the EVO.

Kinda makes me happy cuz now I get to play with Android for two months waiting for my upgrade ... And waiting to see if Palm ever fels the inclination to announce/release anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Palm is not doing itself any favors by waiting. The ONLY reason they can be waiting to announce anything is that they have NOTHING to announce.

Just got my wife an EVO today. She likes my Pre, but didn't want to be tied into 18 month old technology for 2 years. She waited 2 months to see if Palm was going to announce anything on Sprint. Last night she finally decided to pull the trigger on the EVO.

Kinda makes me happy cuz now I get to play with Android for two months waiting for my upgrade ... And waiting to see if Palm ever fels the inclination to announce/release anything...
    I think there is something to announce - however whatever it is probably is worse then existing phones (i.e Evo, Droids), so it is better for Palm to be quiet and try to make something better or on par with competition. Anyway, right now I am on the fence - I have Evo and Palm. So far I needed to do only 1 factory reset on Evo.. Palm is Ok. (well, there were 2 black shutdowns.. Nothing that battery pull did not fix..)
    I still don't get this "it's all about the Apps" crap... Once again, Thanks CrApple.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    The sky is falling.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Oh, and the thread title is a horrible analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I still don't get this "it's all about the Apps" crap... Once again, Thanks CrApple.
    I view it as a "its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not ave it situation".

Sure there is pretty much every app I need but there are a 'few' that I would use on a daily basis that are on other platforms.
    I believe the mobile space is/will be similar to the automotive market. Lot's of players, lot's of failures, and lot's of comeback stories.

The market is still very young and has room.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
    I still have not seen a new phone that I would trade my Sprint Pre for. Running 65 patches including 1Ghz Warthog. Only saw the doctor one time about two weeks after purchase in November. Only problem has been a slight Oreo. Solved that with a GRT case. Guess I have been very lucky.

All that just to have a usable phone...
    That's better than having a serious hardware issue like the iPhone4...
    honestly, HP has never had an issue with hardware. All of the iPaq devices I've ever owned were great devices. They've already said that they were not going with windows phone 7 so that they could focus on webos. I can pretty much guarantee you that with webos 2.0, we'll get at least a new smartphone and probably a netbook and tablet running webos. This is an exciting time to be a part of webos and the negativity in this thread makes me a bit sad. Everyone said that palm was dead right before the pre announcement and they were as quiet as they are now. I'll eat my hat if we don't have a new smartphone announced before CES. Viva la webos!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast