1.    #1  
    I bought a Pre on Craigslist about a month ago and I'm having issues with the power button. I was curious if anyone has had any experiences with Sprint on phones bought on Craigslist.
    you shouldnt have any problems as long as you have the sprint insurance and the phone is activated on your phone number that has the insurance
    Motorola i95cl> i733> i760> i860> i880> ic902> Palm Pre> HTC EVO4G> atrix 4g> unlocked gsm pre 2
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abbdu4 View Post
    you shouldnt have any problems as long as you have the sprint insurance and the phone is activated on your phone number that has the insurance
    +1
    As long as you have insurance, they wouldn't bat an eye about where you purchased the phone. If you don't have insurance, they'll have you pay a fee, I forget off the top of my head what it is, but $39.00 is sticking out in my mind...
    Yep! The other posters are correct.

I never buy my phones through Sprint, anymore, but I do have the TEP on both lines and have never had a problem.

They do not care where you got, if you have the insurance.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    My son just bought a Pre from Craigslist. We met the seller at a Sprint store. He got it activated and the insurance transfered over. I had to sign to transfer the insurance. He has already had to get it fixed. Blown speaker. Covered though.
  6.    #6  
    I would gladly pay 39 bucks to get my speaker fixed. It's not very loud. And I think there are some sort of metal shavings that have attached themselves to the speaker.
    I purchased a blackberry curve NIB on craigslist, which developed issues with certain keys on the keyboard not working. They swapped it out, no insurance. Today I stopped by a Sprint store with the same power button issue you're having. Rep I spoke to said it was the most common problem he sees with the Pre and they're sending out my replacement. My guess is that they wont hassle you about swapping it out. It's a known defect. If you have problems at one store, just go to another. I wouldn't recommend a corporate store in this instance. Go with an authorized repair center.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eighty2 View Post
    I bought a Pre on Craigslist about a month ago and I'm having issues with the power button. I was curious if anyone has had any experiences with Sprint on phones bought on Craigslist.
    i got my pre on craigslist. activated it and all that good stuff. after some time i could only make calls with the speaker phone having to be on. called and someone told me they could not do anything. i called back and got a dude that sent me a brand new one. mine was still under warranty and i did NOT have the issurance. and the dude i got it from on CL had taken it apart. obvious from the damage done to the little screws. needless to say. i got a new one traded in from a CL buy. not bad
    Not to be rude here but.... Do you people realize you do not need TEP to get a Pre fixed no matter where you got it from??? As long as it is not water damaged and within its 1 year warranty Sprint will repair the phone or replace the phone free of charge if there are any defects. Don't bother wasting your $8 a month unless you plan on keeping the Pre for longer than a year. I have Sprint premier so I just get a new phone every year and plan to get the next webOS device whenever that may be. Also TEP sucks because if you need a replacement Pre its $100 down! Just thought id let you all know because really TEP is pretty much useless and a ripoff unless you lose your phone regularly. I just bought a Pre off craigslist the other day for my brother and the slider was jacked up and they just took it apart at the Sprint store and replaced some screws or something of that nature. Works perfect now!
    I must agree with Thrasherx2k1...as long as it is not water damaged it is warrantied by Palm for a year. I should know as I am now on my 5th Palm Pre and have been told by Sprint exactly this....another thing that I have been told directly by Techs at Sprint Stores is that Palm does not allow them to fix/repair/take apart the Pres/Pixies...if it's broken they work on getting you another one (a refurb)...Sprint does have a policy in place after the 3rd return of same device the option of a new one (or so customer service said and you know how that can be)...although I have received a refurb everytime...the refurb has made it in within two days...if it's a Sprint "corporate store" they may have a refurb already in store for quick exchange...This has been a painless process everytime...however my warranty is up in about a month...I hope my 5th Pre lasts till a new Palm device comes out...if not I may have to jump ship at that point which I hope to not have happen...
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I must agree with Thrasherx2k1...as long as it is not water damaged it is warrantied by Palm for a year. I should know as I am now on my 5th Palm Pre and have been told by Sprint exactly this....another thing that I have been told directly by Techs at Sprint Stores is that Palm does not allow them to fix/repair/take apart the Pres/Pixies...if it's broken they work on getting you another one (a refurb)...Sprint does have a policy in place after the 3rd return of same device the option of a new one (or so customer service said and you know how that can be)...although I have received a refurb everytime...the refurb has made it in within two days...if it's a Sprint "corporate store" they may have a refurb already in store for quick exchange...This has been a painless process everytime...however my warranty is up in about a month...I hope my 5th Pre lasts till a new Palm device comes out...if not I may have to jump ship at that point which I hope to not have happen...
    I had another user tell me that Sprint is now allowed to take apart a Pre. I guess maybe they have received proper training now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I had another user tell me that Sprint is now allowed to take apart a Pre. I guess maybe they have received proper training now?
    I just received that 5th Palm Pre at a Sprint Corporate Store here in South Florida exactly a week ago and was told by technichian that it is Palms policy that carrier techs absolutely are not allowed to take apart their phones...all they are allowed to do is a "visual" inspection of possible water damage etc...then off to Palm...

Edit: Do want to add that I do believe that at the non-corporate stores you may be more likely to see technicians going beyond just "visible inspections". And there are probably some Corporate stores here and there I am sure where the technician may go beyond the limits that Palm has put in place on their devices.
    Last edited by ferriskeanu; 07/26/2010 at 03:10 AM.
    Some Sprint Stores can make repairs now. I have a Pixi that had a defective headphone jack, and a blown speaker. It took calls to 3 different Coporate stores in my area, but eventually I found one that had techs on hand w/ Palm device training. Just call and check around, or call Sprint Technical Support. They'll find one in your area for you.
    Just wanted to add...

If you are nearing the end of your warranty as I am (in about 30 days) and you receive a repair or refurb....that repair or refurb is warrantied for 90 days even if the 90 days surpasses your original devices warranty date. For someone like myself that is great as I don't have to start a countdown of the next 30 days when the original warranty will expire.

Also there is no mention on specifics other than to call your carrier on whether any repairs can be done by your carrier. Just checked Palms website in the repair subsection of the support section.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    another thing that I have been told directly by Techs at Sprint Stores is that Palm does not allow them to fix/repair/take apart the Pres/Pixies...if it's broken they work on getting you another one
    That's not true, at least in the case of a broken power button. I took my Pre to a Sprint Repair center while it was still in warranty, they fixed the power button while I waited.

The first fix lasted less than a week so I took it back. The second fix seems to be perfect. It's still holding up fine after a few months. Power button is working fine, with a nice "click" to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    That's not true, at least in the case of a broken power button. I took my Pre to a Sprint Repair center while it was still in warranty, they fixed the power button while I waited.

The first fix lasted less than a week so I took it back. The second fix seems to be perfect. It's still holding up fine after a few months. Power button is working fine, with a nice "click" to it.
    Protocol etc is not always going to be followed for sure...just as a police officer may or may not always give you a speeding ticket when you speed...