Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I saw it at the keynote for pre way back when, just wondering if it will ever happen.
    What are you referring to?
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Eventually. It will most likely be on the new palmpad. (HDMI out)

I don't see the pressing need for it on a smartphone, more of a bragging right.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Eventually. It will most likely be on the new palmpad. (HDMI out)

I don't see the pressing need for it on a smartphone, more of a bragging right.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    What are you referring to?
    The jury-rigged CES one, no doubt.
    Right now, HDMI-out is a gimmick non-feature like front-facing cameras: it's a nice thing in theory, and every three months you might even use it once, but it never sold a single phone and there are maybe seven people in the world that NEED it.

Like front-facing cameras, HDMI-out will be a feature you will find in random phones and that the press/blogs will point at, but not greatly care... UNTIL apple gets it. From that point forward, release a phone without it if you want it to stay on that shelf forever. Like "facetime" - phones were able to do video conferences over 3G long before Apple released the iPhone, even longer before they gave the iPhone 3G. Nobody cared. Now it's a killer feature because otherwise the phone would be worse than the iPhone.

All that said, give me HDMI-out three times before you give me video chat once. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of HDMI-out when I actually have it, but cannot see myself doing video chats. I guess I'm just not self-important enough, or remember my friends' faces too well to require constant reminders on the phone.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Yes but actually I would like to see wireless hdmi on a future Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    Yes but actually I would like to see wireless hdmi on a future Pre.
    Honestly, that sounds very expensive. I honestly don't think that is really needed in a mobile device. Mini HDMI out sounds good enough for me.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    I don't see a need for it in any case, but like GrantHeppes said, a miniHdmi out would be a nice lil' touch.

Prolly not gonna see this on a Pre or Pixi. It'll definately be the next hardware revision, if not after that. I just don't see much need in it...
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Why would you want tv out... ? You can't even put more than one movie on it and then at that point it will die before the movie is over.
    my old touch pro could out put to RCA. but it has become a new standard on new smartphones so the next pre has to have it.
    if you have a USB input on your tv, you can play media to it through the USB partition... saw something about it on some developer blog... sounds do-able as long as you can browse folders..
    That is correct, Samsung tv's do support USB mass storage devices, but that does mean that your phone would be basically off for the time you are veiwing.
    IIRC the Samsung USB function only supports audio and pictures no video though. Haven't used it on my setup since I have the HTPC hooked up to my Samsung.
    Yeah, I can't see the Pre battery handling a TV app.
    Battery would be the least of my worries, if I have my phone plugged into my TV I have power close. The only time I would use this is when streaming something I can't get locally (like back when Sprint had the NFL app I did this often with audio to my surround sound and would do it with video on certain things that are available thru mobile).

Other than that, would just be a neat show off feature to show people pics and vids when you are out and about.
    It would be useful for those travel-sized projectors (or regular-sized ones, depending on the circumstances) for presentations.

I did see a pocket-sized projector the other day that is USB and has software built into the projector to use the USB device (i.e. a flash drive) as a hard drive to show certain types of files from. I don't know if this would work with a Pre (in USB mode, I assume) or not, but I did wonder if it would.

Like another poster said, I have no use for video chat. There's nobody I know who I'd want to video chat with (voice only is fine with me) and even if I wanted to video chat with my best friend, she only has a dumb phone with no plans on getting a smart phone anytime soon due to cost.
    I have Sprint and I would you use it if "Sprint TV" looked watchable on a big screen. Then I could cancel my cable.

The only issue I see is if I received a phone call I would like for Sprint TV to pause and give me the ability to go back to that card and unpause to contuine watching. I would have to have wifi for this to work. Probably not gonna happen but I can dream.