Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I'm at a loss as to what you are saying.
    babelfish.altavista.com
    I'm at a loss as to what you are saying.
    Actually, he's 100 percent right. If you pay the $7 a month for insurance, and you break, or lose your phone, or drop it in the lake, you have to pay $100 to the insurance company Sprint uses, and you get a refurb, which is a crapshoot. Venpa is not the most articulate guy I've ever read, but I think I was able to gather that from his post and he is correct.

So, if the OP is unhappy at having to pay $120 to get it repaired, he would have paid $7/month and $100 to get a refurb had he had insurance. Not much of a distinction.

They will replace a defective Pre without requiring the $100 deductible, but even then, they try to get away with giving you a refurb. Some people get a new one and some don't, it depends on how they feel that day I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    actually with the insurance u still have to pay $100.00 for a repair and all they do is send u a refurb with a fixed screen and a f*ed up everything else..... creeky buttons no click spacebar and oreo effect to the 3rd power..... i had a BRAND NEW PHONE it was 45days old!!!! so best buy said its outta their hair cuz it was more than 30days even though i used to work there .:sigh:. and sprint store said it was $120.00 and the sprint rep on the phone said i had to pay $100.00 for a refurb..... well thats what happened to me..... they told me physical damage isnt covered.... but thats ok i milked them a few times after words
    You know I've never had to use it, and this post has me seriously considering dropping my insurance coverage. It's not like Pixies and Pres are expensive on eBay. And it sounds like I can get better quality hardware that way.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    with insurance you do not have to pay 100 for repair,,if you are being told that you are being misinformed. 100 just to replace. I have a sprint repair right near my house. I went in there once after I got off the phone with sprint,,told me I had insurance so repair is included. I then went to the store to confirm and it was true.
    I am sorry but you are incorrect. You are right that with insurance you dont have to pay for repairs( actually with ESRP you dont have to pay for repairs; Insurance ERP you pay a 100 dollar deductable per claim). (TEP which is 7 dollars a month includes both esrp and erp).

Dropping a phone and cracking the screen, is considered physical incedntal damage, thus you would have to pay 100 dollar dedectable to assurion (insurer). ESRP only covers physical repairs that arent due to incidental damage. broken button, or something coming loose, or manufacter defect after 1 yr warranty period.

the confusion all stems from different sprint reps, having their own definintion on physical damage. I have noticed many sprint reps trying to hand you off to insurance to file a claim, when in fact they should fix or replace it for you. for example a cracked screen because you dropped it, ok if they send you to insurance. however a cracked screen originating from usb charging port due to oreo effect. it is still physical but should be repaired by sprint and not assurion, through manufacture warrenty or esrp, and should be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Actually, he's 100 percent right. If you pay the $7 a month for insurance, and you break, or lose your phone, or drop it in the lake, you have to pay $100 to the insurance company Sprint uses, and you get a refurb, which is a crapshoot. Venpa is not the most articulate guy I've ever read, but I think I was able to gather that from his post and he is correct.

So, if the OP is unhappy at having to pay $120 to get it repaired, he would have paid $7/month and $100 to get a refurb had he had insurance. Not much of a distinction.

They will replace a defective Pre without requiring the $100 deductible, but even then, they try to get away with giving you a refurb. Some people get a new one and some don't, it depends on how they feel that day I guess.
    Actually, they're both kind of correct. It really depends on the store.

If you have obvious physical damage - IE a car drove over it, it will cost the $100 deductible. If it was not physically abused, they will frequently swap it out at the tech center without the deductible.

It's only when they involve Assurion that you will have to pay the deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    You know I've never had to use it, and this post has me seriously considering dropping my insurance coverage. It's not like Pixies and Pres are expensive on eBay. And it sounds like I can get better quality hardware that way.
    It might be cheaper to get one off ebay, if you take into consideration the $7 monthly fee that you pay, but trust me, you will be getting a USED phone, which will not be in as good of shape as a refurb. If you are sent a refurb and there is a problem with it, send it back and get another one. It's that simple. Get a used phone on ebay and THAT is a crapshoot.
    I've gotten both a refurb pre and a pre off of ebay. The refurb was actually more solid than my launch day. The pre off ebay has some scratches and a pretty significant oreo. It's your choice, but either way, don't cry when you break your phone and have to pay for a new one.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

It might be cheaper to get one off ebay, if you take into consideration the $7 monthly fee that you pay, but trust me, you will be getting a USED phone, which will not be in as good of shape as a refurb. If you are sent a refurb and there is a problem with it, send it back and get another one. It's that simple. Get a used phone on ebay and THAT is a crapshoot.
    I've gotten both a refurb pre and a pre off of ebay. The refurb was actually more solid than my launch day. The pre off ebay has some scratches and a pretty significant oreo. It's your choice, but either way, don't cry when you break your phone and have to pay for a new one.
    Good point. I'll have to discuss it with the g/f later. She's pretty cheap though so I'm sure she'll go for the short term gain of 7 less dollars a month. :-P
    It really depends on the store.
    That is certainly correct; we have heard many tales of customers walking into a Sprint store with a phone that they mangled in some way, and walking out with a new or a refurbed one. Typically, those are customers with big or long-standing accounts, or it might be a store that has a huge stockpile of phones and doesn't mind getting rid of one, or it could just be a really nice Sprint employee. That is luck of the draw. Legally, they only have to replace it if you give them $100, and they only have to give you a refurb.
    The economics of the Pre do not militate in favor of maintaining insurance any longer. It did when they first came out. But when you can get a good condition used one for $100, as you now can, and the deductible is $100, it makes little sense to pay the extra $7 per month at this time. In June 2009, it was probably a good idea, just as it would be smart for an Evo or Epic buyer to get insurance at this time, since replacing it would cost them $400 or more if they bought used.
    The economics of the Pre do not militate in favor of maintaining insurance any longer. It did when they first came out. But when you can get a good condition used one for $100, as you now can, and the deductible is $100, it makes little sense to pay the extra $7 per month at this time. In June 2009, it was probably a good idea, just as it would be smart for an Evo or Epic buyer to get insurance at this time, since replacing it would cost them $400 or more if they bought used.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    Good point. I'll have to discuss it with the g/f later. She's pretty cheap though so I'm sure she'll go for the short term gain of 7 less dollars a month. :-P
    Too both these comments. I would argue it depends on how you use your phones. If you upgrade at the year mark, then yeah drop insurance..... then again if you are like me an will most likely be keeping the Pre's for the better part of 2 years, I will pay the extra per month to know my 100 is getting me a new phone (and not playing the used phone crapshoot). Also there is always the potential (probably not high with the Pre at this point), of ending up paying the 100 and getting more than your $100 worth. When I say that I am talking about getting a better phone because the phone is out of production and stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Too both these comments. I would argue it depends on how you use your phones. If you upgrade at the year mark, then yeah drop insurance..... then again if you are like me an will most likely be keeping the Pre's for the better part of 2 years, I will pay the extra per month to know my 100 is getting me a new phone (and not playing the used phone crapshoot). Also there is always the potential (probably not high with the Pre at this point), of ending up paying the 100 and getting more than your $100 worth. When I say that I am talking about getting a better phone because the phone is out of production and stock.
    The $100 doesn't get you a new phone. It gets you a refurb. If you were getting a new phone, then maybe you could justify the insurance, if having a new phone to replace a used, lost phone was important to you. But you are not--unless you get lucky and they send you a new phone. Most of the time, they won't.

So, you get a refurb, or a good used one, either will cost $100, but one also costs $7/month.

Cost/benefit - wise, I would keep insurance until the price of the phone on the used market drops to $150 or $180, then drop it. That's 7-10 months of insurance, balanced against the risk of loss, coupled with the likelihood that the used phone price will continue to decline.

If you had a $2000 car, and the comprehensive insurance cost an additional $200 per month over basic liability, would you buy it? Me, I'd take the chance that on average I can go more than 10 months without a wreck. I'd also take that chance with a phone. I have lost one phone in 10 years. If you are scatterbrained, or like to swim with your phone, you should keep your insurance a little longer than I keep mine.
    The $100 doesn't get you a new phone. It gets you a refurb. If you were getting a new phone, then maybe you could justify the insurance, if having a new phone to replace a used, lost phone was important to you. But you are not--unless you get lucky and they send you a new phone. Most of the time, they won't.

So, you get a refurb, or a good used one, either will cost $100, but one also costs $7/month.

Cost/benefit - wise, I would keep insurance until the price of the phone on the used market drops to $150 or $180, then drop it. That's 7-10 months of insurance, balanced against the risk of loss, coupled with the likelihood that the used phone price will continue to decline.

If you had a $2000 car, and the comprehensive insurance cost an additional $200 per month over basic liability, would you buy it? Me, I'd take the chance that on average I can go more than 10 months without a wreck. I'd also take that chance with a phone. I have lost one phone in 10 years. If you are scatterbrained, or like to swim with your phone, you should keep your insurance a little longer than I keep mine.

If you have been dealing with Sprint an Asurion as long as I have.... as well as reading these forums, there have been many customers that have received new phones. I am not saying this is always the case and yes lots of people have gotten refurbs, but the thing about a refurb (just as someone else in this thread said) if you are not happy with it return it until you get one you are happy with. Once again this is not something everyone wants to deal with, I would choose to deal with that in the case where I needed to get a phone vs. dealing with purchasing used off the internet and trying to get the best quality for the best price.

It's the cost of doing business, and once again people do get new phones thru insurance, people also do get upgrades thru insurance replacements. Unlike you I am not advising anyone (including the person who was asking) to choose either path. I am giving advice in a manor that suggests an individual needs to examine their own circumstances and experience to determine what is best for them. As we have also seen on these forums, not every individual has gotten a good working pre from their internet purchase (bad ESN, unhappy with physical condition, ohhh and with most of those sales there is little to no warranty). Personally once again, I will take the factory refurb over buying blind.

I am not trying to argue with you, but you continually stating $100 doesn't get you a new phone is blatantly false, it doesn't GUARANTEE you a new phone. It does give you a chance that you will get new (and in general that is doing to be determined by the return rate on the given phone), it does give you a chance to get an upgrade (once again based on production and stock), and best yet it does GUARANTEE you that when you spend your (set price of $100, no shopping around online and having to check ESN's) that you can easily and painlessly exchange the phone if you are unhappy with the one you are given.

Ohhh and no I don't constantly lose or treat my phones like crap. I just prefer to be in the boat where if something happens it's one phone call and I am back in the game when it comes to my phone. Like I said, everyone needs to examine their own situation, when I came outta pocket a few hundred after contract for something, 7 bucks a month ain't bad. There are a couple things I don't like buying used and/or off the internet (meaning 3rd party sites) when it comes to electronics, mainly phones and TV's.
    i say add insurance now if thats possible
    I could never own a phone with out TEP, since im sort of rough on my phones it just makes sense to me. And to those who say they never lose there phone, just remember things happen, i have never lost an electronic device untill last year where my zune was stolen and im sure some one went off with my samsung instinct.
    there have been many customers that have received new phones. I am not saying this is always the case and yes lots of people have gotten refurbs, but the thing about a refurb (just as someone else in this thread said) if you are not happy with it return it until you get one you are happy with.
    That is true, and so if you are concerned that you would buy a used phone without realizing that it has flaws, then that is a factor that favors getting insurance. You can return a refurb if it arrives with defects. However, if it later develops defects, you may be limited to repair or paying another $100. You cannot return a defective used phone, your only choice is repair. For me, I would examine a used phone very carefully before buying, play with it, look at its exterior condition and its responsiveness, its screen, and its settings, and if it seemed ok, I'd take it for $100 and save the $7/month. That's just me.

Unlike you I am not advising anyone (including the person who was asking) to choose either path.
    Please let me know where I advised anyone not to buy insurance. The closest you can point to is that I said that the economics based upon the current price of the Pre do not militate in favor of insurance. That is objective fact, just as actuarial tables are. Someone like you, who is plainly risk-averse, may still want to keep insurance. That is subjective preference. I have not told any who is like you not to get insurance. Insurance companies love guys like you, and the rest of us love lower rates.

but you continually stating $100 doesn't get you a new phone is blatantly false, it doesn't GUARANTEE you a new phone.
    It's not blatantly false, or even a correct citation of what I said. If you re-read what I said, you may see that I said that you are not legally entitled to a new phone, but that some people have received new phones when they made claims. That is 100% accurate. I think most people will get a refurb, what the percentages work out to, I don't know, but they shouldn't buy insurance expecting to get replacement phones that are new when they are not entitled to one and most likely will not receive one.

I don't know why you are so fervent in your need to justify keeping insurance. What you do is your business. However, I think it would behoove most people to analyze the relevant factors that they ought to take into account when making their decision, in this and in all other endeavors.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Hm. I learned a new word today.

Militate - Verb: (of a fact or circumstance) Be a powerful or conclusive factor in preventing.
    I don't know why you are so fervent in your need to justify keeping insurance. What you do is your business. However, I think it would behoove most people to analyze the relevant factors that they ought to take into account when making their decision, in this and in all other endeavors.
    Here are the facts in my case. I received a $100 insurance replacement. It was a refurb, but was in fantastic condition. No oreo, flawless body, and a solid keyboard. If there had been a problem with the replacement I would've sent it back for another replacement. You can do that.
    I canceled my TEP a little over a month ago, because I figured I'd be getting a new phone in the next 6 months or so. A week after doing so, I promptly dropped it down the side of a 50 foot cliff. Amazingly, the phone still worked, but the screen was cracked, and although it lit up and seemed perfectly functional, it didn't register touches anymore, so I had to get a new phone (unless I simply wanted to call people, which I could do with any dumbphone). Soooo, bought the cheapest pre that seemed in the best condition from the descriptions on ebay. $100 + $15 shipping. Not bad, but it was obviously used, with a good oreo, scratches, etc. I'm good with it, and it's perfectly functional. The same as my launch day pre would probably look like if I still had it. However, if I was going to keep the phone for a year or more, I would much rather get the $100 refurb, and pay the $7/month TEP to ensure an excellent replacement. But it's all up to the individual user.
    Contrary to any thoughts otherwise, you can't buy a new pre online for anything less than $250, at least in my searches on ebay, craigslist, etc. The less expensive phones are USED, not REFURBS, so you get what you pay for.

It's not blatantly false, or even a correct citation of what I said. If you re-read what I said, you may see that I said that you are not legally entitled to a new phone, but that some people have received new phones when they made claims. That is 100% accurate. I think most people will get a refurb, what the percentages work out to, I don't know, but they shouldn't buy insurance expecting to get replacement phones that are new when they are not entitled to one and most likely will not receive one.
    The $100 doesn't get you a new phone. It gets you a refurb.
    That was your first sentence in the post I replied to. Like I said it's all good, in the post I replied to you never once said you are not legally entitled to.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12