Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I am a day one Pre customer. Still have the original Pre with patches. Love a lot of things about it but here are 5 things that i cannot stand.

1. Battery life - This really depends on each person and how they like their phone settings and also usage. I charge the Pre overnight and by the time I am getting off work at 6pm its at 10%. So I am forced to have a charger at home, work and car.

2. Google maps - It takes forever to load Google maps. If I wasn't lost when i clicked on Google maps, i definitely will be lost by the time it actually launches.

3. Reboot - Same as Google maps Reboot takes about 5 minutes. My PC reboots faster than my Pre.

4. App Catalog - Why do apps keep re-appearing in the app catalog. Apps that I have already seen and decided that I dont want keep re-appearing everyday. And also now i am seeing there is more and more useless apps showing up in the app catalog. Apps like "How to become a film maker" or "Gaining Weight 101"

5. Outlook - A way to plug in a cable from my phone to my laptop and be able to sync my outlook (not exchange) to the phone calendar. I know there is probably paid apps out there but this should come out of the box.
    I agree with your take on Google Maps......there is work going on over here to fix that problem.

What do you mean by "Apps that I have already seen and decided that I don't want keep re-appearing everyday"? There is no "built in" way to hide app catalog apps that I'm aware of. There is a way of doing this via a homebrew patch, by developer.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
    4. App Catalog - Why do apps keep re-appearing in the app catalog. Apps that I have already seen and decided that I dont want keep re-appearing everyday. And also now i am seeing there is more and more useless apps showing up in the app catalog. Apps like "How to become a film maker" or "Gaining Weight 101".
    I think (and I could be wrong) but Apps that appear to reappear have typically been updated somehow. Almost universally whenever I run an update on my apps on the phone, all of my updated apps were ones that moved back to the top of the apps list.

As for the plethora of useless apps, I'm with you on that. When the World Cup was going on, every day there was a new Vuvuzela app! I think at one count there were 6 or so along with a bunch more "air horn" apps!

Really?

Not to denigrate the developers but that's just silly. I also get frustrated when I pay for a mediocre app and then a better version of a similar app comes along and that I'd rather have and then I wished I'd have waited.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I am a day one Pre customer. Still have the original Pre with patches. Love a lot of things about it but here are 5 things that i cannot stand.

1. Battery life - This really depends on each person and how they like their phone settings and also usage. I charge the Pre overnight and by the time I am getting off work at 6pm its at 10%. So I am forced to have a charger at home, work and car.

2. Google maps - It takes forever to load Google maps. If I wasn't lost when i clicked on Google maps, i definitely will be lost by the time it actually launches.

3. Reboot - Same as Google maps Reboot takes about 5 minutes. My PC reboots faster than my Pre.

4. App Catalog - Why do apps keep re-appearing in the app catalog. Apps that I have already seen and decided that I dont want keep re-appearing everyday. And also now i am seeing there is more and more useless apps showing up in the app catalog. Apps like "How to become a film maker" or "Gaining Weight 101"

5. Outlook - A way to plug in a cable from my phone to my laptop and be able to sync my outlook (not exchange) to the phone calendar. I know there is probably paid apps out there but this should come out of the box.
    1 - yep, get in line or a 3rd party extended battery.

2 - Complain to google, it's not the Pre's fault per say. [edit] Try out BFGMaps (in the Palm Beta feed, free, uses Google's Maps, Starts up fairly quick on my Pre (much faster than google maps).

3 - Why are you manually rebooting? Get PresetReset out of Preware and set it to reboot at 3~4am

4 - Get the app UberAppCat (Preware I think), lets you search and filter by app authors, titles, age, price, comments, country, and rating. Best app ever! I do an open search with a few "e-reader" authors in the filter. Shows me all the new apps minus the common authors I consider spammers.

5 - Need a MS expert for this one.
    Last edited by Honis; 07/21/2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added the line after [edit]
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3

I'm a power user and picked up an 1400mAh battery. Solved my issue along with using a faster kernal and Govnah settings. Faster device and better battery life a the same time!

Google Maps takes time because it has to download all map information from their servers. No map info is kept on a device as it is a cloud based database. Blame Google for that item.
    Perform a Luna Restart instead of a reboot. Or... use an app like Reboot Scheduler to have your device perform a reboot while you are sleeping.

Just because you view an app, it doesn't get taken out of the catalog. Obviously you've played in the iPhone or Android catalogs... the crap choices are multiplied by 100. It's simply the nature of the beast and isn't relegated only to Palm's catalog. Try the UberAppCat app and you will be able to view what you want.

Why would this come out of the box? The whole idea behind webOS is that it is a cloud-based experience. Yes there are tons of items people say should come 'out of the box', but at least there are options to add personal functionality to the device.
    Why should it come out of the box?
    Move your e-mail to a hosted exchange provider. Link your phone and Outlook to it. You will have zero need for cables and manual syncing...you will wonder how you ever lived any other way.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, it should be packaged properly right?
    You can't just toss one over the counter.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

All that and:
    No 5 way Navigator
    No Infrared
    No Documents To Go
    A ****** Splash ID
    No Removable Memory Card
    No Sirius Satellite App
    WebOS, just like NewCoke!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/21/2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: posting around language filters
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    1. Agreeed but what do you expect on a phone that truely multitasks and syncs ur profile that magically comes back after doctoring. Just keep multiple chargers, I have one at work, home and in the car.

2. Whats wrong with sprint navi, thats faster and more accurate?

3. Ya reboot is a pain but thats been address as to what causes it to take forever to reboot

4. app catelog- when there is an update yes it will appeatr again

5. Export your calendar as a csv, import to google calendar and it will sync on your device given that you selected it as your primary calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    ...WebOS, just like NewCoke!
    Wow.. that's not even close. Palm didn't simply revamp an OS, they created this one from scratch. It's only been out a year, so it doesn't have all the 'favorite' items us old PalmOS people are used to, but this is far better (IMO)... just missing few little things that will be added as time goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    because palm needs to sell phones
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Wow.. that's not even close. Palm didn't simply revamp an OS, they created this one from scratch. It's only been out a year, so it doesn't have all the 'favorite' items us old PalmOS people are used to, but this is far better (IMO)... just missing few little things that will be added as time goes on.
    A few? When the phone came out ot was basically bareboned. I mean you had the old palm os that people loved as a reference to what should have been added to this new OS
    I have my Outlook calendar sync with my Google Calendar, so everything is on my phone. Goggle Calendar has an app called Google Calendar Sync that syncs with your Outlook calendar, so everything is automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Move your e-mail to a hosted exchange provider. Link your phone and Outlook to it. You will have zero need for cables and manual syncing...you will wonder how you ever lived any other way.
    As technology moves forward this will not be necessary.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    my pre does everything i need it to, and more
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcoch View Post
    I have my Outlook calendar sync with my Google Calendar, so everything is on my phone. Goggle Calendar has an app called Google Calendar Sync that syncs with your Outlook calendar, so everything is automatic.
    Yep Google works too (what I'm using now myself)....I just find that some users who are used to full Outlook functionality, and want that funtionality to sync to webOS, will find more wishes fulfilled with a hosted exchange account.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for some of the good suggestions guys. I will definitely check out "hosted exchange provider", UberAppCat, PresetReset etc

Just a clarification on the AppCatalog thing. What I meant to say was apps keep reappearing at the top of the list even when there are no updates for them.

Blame Google for that
    I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm just listing things that I hate about the phone. Palm, Google whoever it might be. From an end user standpoint, at the end of the day all I know is someone dropped the ball on this.

Although it is nice to know that Google is the one who deserves the blame

I'm a long time BlackBerry user so I am just used to it. I guess that's why I expected it out of the box. Its just that its a long process to apply for an Exchange account here at work. And I like to have my meetings on my Pre so I can look at it quickly and see if I have an early morning meeting the next day.
    My biggest annoyance lately is the 3.5mm headset connection. Not only do I still occasionally get the "stuck in headset mode" problem and need to insert/remove the plug a few times to fix it, if I am listening to a podcast the slightest bump or jiggle will pause the audio, and I have to jiggle it again to restart, or pull the device out and tap the PLAY button on the screen. Very aggravating.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    1. BT file transfer
    2. lack of select function for emails
    3. speed
    4. no password remembering in browser
    5. lack of official instruction for using it as a PDA after contract.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast