Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1) No SD Slot
    2) Screen could be bigger
    3) Low camera megapixel
    4) No scroll bar to indicate how long a page or list is
    5) No "inner" scrolling in browser when a page has a section which scrolls independently from the rest of the page (forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Software/Bug-Browser-Inner-Scrolling-Not-Working/m-p/271351 - sorry, the forum won't let me make a link since I haven't posted 10 times: odd requirement)
    1. Battery life... I do have an extra battery but then that forces me to deal with my other biggest problem....

2. Reboot Time

3. Plasticy build quality

4. TMC error.....this takes me back to #2

5. Lag....especially evident on the camera and google maps but in lesser extent on a variety of apps and functions.
    I don't hate anything about my Pre but I'd like to see............

1. Voice activated dialing.
    2. Larger screen.
    3. More RAM
    1. No "Vibrate THEN Ring" option
    2. No proxy server option in WiFi
    3. No Outlook sync to exchange server (can't upload confidential calendar csv to Google and IT dept. doesn't support IMAP only POP)...
    4. GPU driven GUI
    some good ideas in this thread. I hope HPalm are working on these issues.

However:

My Outlook sync happens in real time over the air and works absolutely flawlessly. Email, calendar, and contacts. I wouldn't change a thing, except... Task support is basically nonexistent, so I just use calendar appointments for tasks. Not a huge deal.

Bluetooth file transfer would be nice. I'm really surprised that this doesn't work.

Battery life sucks under heavy use, so I stay plugged in when I can, and I have some spare Centro batteries.

And I don't really need an external SD card. I still have 5 GB free.
    Biggest things I dislike about my Pre (hate is too strong a word).
    1. Size: Screen & keyboard are too small. (And I have small fingers.) It feels like they needed to design it for my 12 yr old daughter. I want a 4"+ version. While your at it, double the screen res like Apple did. (hey...they should be competitive right?) You do realize that while the phone is listed as having a 3.1" screen, you only get a bit over 2" of usable space, right? The UI is designed to 'add' extra buttons at the bottom section, and the very top is your status bar. If you actually go into any apps, measure usable screen size, taking away the portions that hold 'buttons'. EDIT: MY bad. You only have a touch UNDER 2" of readable space. Don't believe me? Try downloading a simple app like the Engadget News Browser. Usable space is 50mm (less than 2").

2. Battery. What the heck is wrong with companies? If I want a 4" screen, stuff a full length 2800mahr battery in that sucker. And the whiners that want it in their pocket...who cares? Grow up and learn to holster the darn thing like the rest of the civilized world. Gone are the days you need to put a phone in your back jeans pocket....darn kids.

3. SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW WebOS. It needs a speed improvement in the neighbourhood of about 400% to compete. No, you shouldn't need a dual core 1.2ghz chip to run it. Optimize and update the darn OS like Google/Apple did. My 1st gen iTouch slaps my Palm Pre around the block in actual usage speed comparisons.

4. Voice dialing, Video, etc. Essentially all the features in other phones smart/super phones. This includes enough stuff to make the phone usable in my country. As in, we are not allowed to touch devices while driving, so voice control is essential. (in Canada)

5. Update synergy to actually be a full working/cloud backup/restore, without going through extra hoops. This includes getting priority stuff fully up and running. i.e. Gmail should be as useful and feature rich on the Pre as it is when loaded on an Android phone or computer. Right now, the Pre gmail/email is wayyyyyyy more limited. More power by navigating to the Gmail site than using the actual email.

6. Fix and update things like the Calendar. Increase productivity apps and integration. Tired of Calendar bugs and syncing issues with the Gmail side of things.

7. Add a memory card. Don't care if I can remove it. I just need something for memory storage. Maybe integrate a quick backup to card (as a full system profile), in case I want to restore or replace the phone. The cloud access point could access the memory card for a quick & complete app/user setting restore point.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 07/22/2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why should it come out of the box?
    SyncML come out of the box of 99% phones in price range of $0 -$1000
    so it should "come out of the box". Im syncing with exchange, so I'm not affected, but I understend that wish.
    Cloud syncing is a new concept so it should be an alternative not an imperative.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Biggest things I dislike about my Pre (hate is too strong a word).
    3. SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW WebOS. It needs a speed improvement in the neighbourhood of about 400% to compete. No, you shouldn't need a dual core 1.2ghz chip to run it. Optimize and update the darn OS like Google/Apple did. My 1st gen iTouch slaps my Palm Pre around the block in actual usage speed comparisons.

4. Voice dialing, Video, etc. Essentially all the features in other phones smart/super phones. This includes enough stuff to make the phone usable in my country. As in, we are not allowed to touch devices while driving, so voice control is essential. (in Canada)

7. Add a memory card. Don't care if I can remove it. I just need something for memory storage. Maybe integrate a quick backup to card (as a full system profile), in case I want to restore or replace the phone. The cloud access point could access the memory card for a quick & complete app/user setting restore point.
    3. IOS is fast only without system patches, in naked form. Jailbreak an Iphone, apply dozen of system tweaks and you will get slugish performance. Android is not optimized at all.

4. voice dialling is a Palm's old problem.

7. You have internal memory on Pre. Not enough?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    One of the selling points on the Pre in 2009 for me was the responsiveness of the camera. With the recent updates, the camera has slowed down in every aspect.
    I don't have 5 dislikes really only one, the speed and how slow and sluggish it is. To the person above, try using another top line phone, and the Pre is the slowest and most sluggish out of them all. My iPhone 3GS can open and close an app before my Pre even makes the card full screen, let alone opens it.

I think the idea of a iPad like device running this OS is laughable unless they do some major tweaking to it. I love my Pre but can't wait for my 2 years to be up so I can get the EVO or something better.
    Is there a way to sinc my outlook with my phone. Im conecting my outlook Through a VPN connection on my work computer. Would like to get my calender, and e mail to my phone.
    You may not like this idea, but this is what I've done here with my Outlook at work. Look up an Outlook plugin called GSyncIt. It allows you to sync your Exchange calendar and email to Gmail. Then just set up that Gmail on your Pre and voila!

The reason I did it this way is because my IT department won't allow you to sync your Exchange account with a phone you didn't buy through the company (and my department won't buy us phones since we technically don't need them). All I wanted was my work calendar on my Pre so I could see what was coming up, so I used GSyncIt to throw my work events on my Google calendar. Works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    3. IOS is fast only without system patches, in naked form. Jailbreak an Iphone, apply dozen of system tweaks and you will get slugish performance. Android is not optimized at all.

4. voice dialling is a Palm's old problem.

7. You have internal memory on Pre. Not enough?
    in reply:

3. iOS is light years ahead of my Pre. I don't need to 'break' & patch my iOS 1st gen touch to speed it up and use it. My Pre requires speed patches and tweaks right out of the box and it still can't get rolling, speed wise to be a fair comparison. This is despite the fact that my Pre is running the equivalent to a 3GS in CPU & GPU.

4. Voice...I just wish they would implement it for crying out loud....

7. Don't get me wrong, 8GB internal is ok, but I would rather use that for speedy App/OS use and personal stuff either backup &/or load to an external card for removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    SyncML come out of the box of 99% phones in price range of $0 -$1000
    so it should "come out of the box". Im syncing with exchange, so I'm not affected, but I understend that wish.
    Cloud syncing is a new concept so it should be an alternative not an imperative.
    99%? Are you sure? I think you made that statistic up.

Yes, I understand it's a "wish". I view "wish" and "should" as completely different things though.

I disagree with the final statement though. For a change like this, you make the "new" the standard, and have alternatives for those that don't like the "new". There are alternatives for the Pre.

The problem with "out of the box" solutions for old services is that you have to continue to support them, since they "came with the system". I don't think Palm should be have the ball and chain of a legacy system such as a wired sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    A few? When the phone came out ot was basically bareboned. I mean you had the old palm os that people loved as a reference to what should have been added to this new OS
    Completely agree with you. Selecting multiple pictures at once to send via email, deleting multiple emails in one touch. Nothing that canít be added over time but a new OS should have all the functionality of the old once as well, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Completely agree with you. Selecting multiple pictures at once to send via email, deleting multiple emails in one touch. Nothing that canít be added over time but a new OS should have all the functionality of the old once as well, IMO.
    Agreed. I was surprised to learn the new and improved WebOS could not do some of the things PalmOS did well. The new thing should always incorporate the things the old thing did plus some. Wouldn't it be weird if a new 2010 Benz had manual windows when the older 2009 version had power windows?
    Yes, let's reintroduce the frikking floppy disc!
    Get the analogy?
    Ok so i want to get involved. I never owned a Pre, but i did own A Pixi so I'm going to base my experience on my 5 months with my Pixi.

1. I hated how slow webos. I could barely play music and surf a mobile site or play with an app.

2. I got bored with the card system and the overall look of webos. I like freedom and I felt like I wasn't getting that with webos even with patches.

3. The lack of fun apps. There wasn't enough time wasting apps or fun apps overall.

4. Palms BS updates. They keep coming out with updates that really didn't do anything in my opinion. Like they where just wasting time.

5. And last, the pixi. After a while I just got tired of the pixi. It just felt boring to me.

Also i typed this on my moment so i might have errors and i didn't go into full detail like i wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Agreed. I was surprised to learn the new and improved WebOS could not do some of the things PalmOS did well. The new thing should always incorporate the things the old thing did plus some. Wouldn't it be weird if a new 2010 Benz had manual windows when the older 2009 version had power windows?
    Interesting analogy. I view the power windows as the could sync, and the manual windows as the wired sync. Neither of my vehicles have a crank for the windows, it's outdated.
    The dang crack by the USB socket. I'm really gentle with my machines. I keep things for years, in great shape.

My Pre developed the crack for no good reason. It has spread into the screen now, and it looks like a big chunk is going to fall off the side soon.

I was a big evangelist for Palm. I loved showing off the features. Now I'm ashamed to show anyone this cracked phone. It is like telling someone how great your dentist is with a missing tooth in front.

They are losing free publicity because of a design defect.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1) Speed
    2) Battery Life
    3) Screen Size
    4) Apps
    5) That have to tweak to achieve the functionality i desire....
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast